2016 Tour de National Parks (Lower 48, and Alaska)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by StarkNaked, Oct 12, 2015.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    There are must ride roads between f, e & b!
  2. Chevenso

Chevenso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By the looks of your google maps plan you are going to travel within a couple of miles of my house in Valley City, ND. If you have time when you are coming through I would love to buy you a meal/beer and hear some of your stories from the road. Shoot me a PM if you want my contact info.
  3. StarkNaked

StarkNaked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There has to be! Suggestions are welcome :D
  4. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me, PM sent!
  5. Sertguy

Sertguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do buy the Butler maps, take the back roads, and wing it, soooo worth it (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).
    Don't rush, it takes the fun factor way down.
    Don't over pack, you will, just mail the excess home along the way.
    Do a few "practice" trips (I didn't for the TAT, HUGE mistake).
    Do let me know when you come thru Northern California- Have beer, bed, shower, food, laundry, garage and tools.

Sean
  6. dutchjohn

dutchjohn Adventure Touring

Oddometer:
    buy your park pass on the 1st or as close to the 1st of the month as possible because Expiration is on the last day of the month, so you really get 13 months if you get it on the 1st of a month, also when in Utah if you need an oil change or inside info PM me. RIDE SAFE
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  7. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply Sean, I was out of the country for a few weeks. I have heard of the butler maps but am not that familiar with them. They're all back roads maybe?

And, I'm a big fan of the appalachian trail and I've heard many stories of people a few miles in, ditching at least a 1/3rd of their gear. I can only imagine a trip of this magnitude, even of a motorized bike will encounter that same issue. It's quite difficult right now deciding what I absolutely don't need. Truth is, I want to take everything! (my two little metal boxes though have shown me that it is not possible)

I haven't taken a practice trip, if by that you mean one of any substance (week maybe?) And I would have to agree, probably a huge mistake. I do plan on taking at least another weekend trip before the big day. I'll have to head south because as a true blooded Stark, I know, winter is coming.
    Would you share with my, WHY it was such a big mistake for you? What hurdles did you wish you would have faced on a practice run instead of the real thing?

I'll PM you as soon as I know when I'll be in the area. Northern cal I am especially excited for.

Thanks, and happy riding :clap
  8. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    It's little bits of information like this that make me happy. Good idea. I'll take that extra month, thank you.

I will probably need an oil change and I always welcome inside information. I went to Utah for the first time 3 years ago, and I was blown away with what your state has to offer.

Thanks again.
  9. Sertguy

Sertguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Butler maps are similar to regular maps with an emphasis on scenic, twisty, fun roads for motorcycles. I use them on 4 wheel road trips as well. There's a lot of other information within them as well. Go to their website, check out the maps, and see if they work for you.

You will over pack. Don't stress. will figure it out along the way. Buy and send home as needed.

This is a quick list of what I ended the trip with.

Clothes
    1. one pair of pants
    2. one pairs of socks and two pair of underwear (synthetic)
    3. two t shirts, one long sleeve and one short (synthetic)
    4. one set of thermals (synthetic)
    5. Klim jacket and pants
    6. two pair of riding socks (synthetic)
    7. jersey (synthetic)
    8. shorts (synthetic)
    9. Merrell "barefoot" type shoes. Small and super light
    10. sleeping bag, air mattress, tent, pillow.
    11. hanging solar light and small LED rechargeable flashlight
    12. small cooking stove, fuel and lighter.
    13. all in a compression sack

For tools I took the basics and the specific tool for my bike. I tore the XR pretty far down and put it back together preparing and modifying it for the TAT. During this, I used the smallest and lightest tools I had. I added and deleted tools until i had the smallest and lightest tool kit to do basic trail repairs. It was a pain in the ass but, I knew what I could and couldn't fix on the trail. There's a few good tool threads on here that will give you a good idea.

I may have been a bit of a "drama queen" by saying a "huge mistake."

1. As most experienced ADV rides can see, my biggest mistake was how I pack my gear on my bike. It handled horrible and wheelied easy. I had to learn how to ride the bike in this configuration. Wasn't fun and one ride around the block, I would've known to move the weight down.

[​IMG]

2. I brought way too many clothes.
    3. I brought a compact battery pack, heavy . No kick start. Never needed it. Could have, and did use small jumper cables.
    4. I took 3-4 sleepless nights to get my bag, pad, pillow combo figured out.
    5. Not taking a day or two off every 5-6 days.

There were some other small things i can't remember but, one practice trip of 4-5- day would've have solved a few of the issues.

Sean
    sKatZ likes this.
  10. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    Thanks for replying to this. I did spend a few minutes looking at the butler maps. They'd help in the states theyre available in. Usually, I just pull up google maps and pick the really wavy lines.

I like your bike. All white is one of my favorite looks for a bike. I could imagine how quick your bike must have wanted to wheelie with all the weight on the back. I am using a Happy Trails Pannier system that should help in centering the weight. I've never done a full wheelie on my bike, only a little Trail Honda 220, which was quite fun.

So I need to focus more on my clothing. I have too much, as your list pointed out, but upside is, I probably can stop buying crap.

I'll try try and pick a decently warm day to shoot from here in PA and head south for a few days to really test out my final set up. I'm in the process of finishing up my electrical system. My battery terminals were overloaded, and decided to upgrade the battery and fabricate an aluminum bracket and put a Centech AP-1 fused terminal block underneath the seat that is engaged via relay turned on by the ignition. Should help with the mess and make any additions relatively easy.

Last is a carb rebuild and pulling the clutch plates so I can locktight the NSU screws. I've never really done any of this so its taking me longer than I thought.

Thanks again Sean. Happy Riding.
  11. Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots Wanderin Saddle Tramp

Oddometer:
    deep in the lair of the Black Widow Spider
    For clothes, think synthetic. They pack very small, wash out easily and dry quickly
    I like to take 2 pairs convertible hiking pants, syn base layer, SS and LS shirt, 3 pairs undies and 3 pairs socks.
  12. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Hello

Thank you for responding to the posts.

The trip planning threads bring out the Ol'Guard who started ADV Rider.

----
    With Mt. Rushmore, parking is not included with your park pass. There is a good solo view of Washington on the road way.

I am a DR tourist, but if I did an Alaska Tour, I would get a huge screen to keep me fresh. I stealth camp, so I do not get high quality sleep while under way.

Without a wind sheild I would do 150 miles a day and felt like it was enough. That is the price you pay for spending well below $50/day. Hell my New England Tour was like $20/day. Hotel stays spike up your daily amount.

---—

You have saved a lot of money with going with one cylindar and enough power for one person. Good.
    I recommend giving some of that money back to the ADV Touring gods and visiting Alaska during the Shoulder season and take bush planes, trains and ferrys to visit the State and NPs.

Take the Marine Alaska Highway (great value) in to Haines or Skagway on the first ferry up, and then put the DR in storage and take the ferry on foot to Haines, see some places on the way, then at the capitaol, take a flight to Anchorage and do the bush plane thing and skip the peak tourist season.

Then in mid June ride up to Dawson for the Summer Soltice Meet up and ride to the Artic with some inmates.

Then south through Canada to Idaho.

It is not a pure MC tour. I have no idea what it would cost. I have never done this. Alaska is huge and it would give you a break from riding the thumper. There are lots of options. You can fly from WA, do the shoulder season package and take the first ferry south on foot and get the DR and head east to G. NATIONAL PARK. Lots of options.

If you had a DL650XT or a 2014+ S10, or a 2015+ Versys 650, then I can see going all MC.

Lastly, Southern Florida is packed in the winter.
  13. Maximus64

Maximus64 Betamus Chingamus Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks like a great adventure. Your path to Big Bend has you traveling through Abilene, TX, my home. If you need a place to stay, my door is open. Warm bed, hot shower and cold beer. I'm in the tent space thread.

When you hit Big Bend, you need to ride the River Road from Terlingua to Presidio. Great ride.
    FLARider1 and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  14. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    Thanks Maximus. I could always use a cold beer :D ...and the warm bed/shower and stuff. I am hoping to utilize the tentspace system established on here for some of my night stays. It'll save some money but more importantly, connect me with local riders, as crazy as me.

I looked up River Road on google maps. Yup, I'll be taking that road!
  15. StarkNaked

Oddometer:

Glad you said that. I am using some synthetic, and merino wool where I could. Some brands other than smart wool have been reviewed to be just as good and half the price. My stockpile is 2 pairs of Marmot Convertible pants, merino top and bottom base layer, 2 SS and 1 LS shirt, 2 pairs synthetic undies, 2 pairs of socks (1 merino wool), a beanie, bandana, hat.

Probably too much. I'll find out for sure in a few months.
  16. StarkNaked

Oddometer:

And thank you for posting such good information. I appreciated reading it.

Really, $20 a day? That is quite the accomplishment I think. My daily budget'd amount I don't even want to say out loud with fear of being laughed out of the room. (It's not that bad, actually probably way over budget). $50 a day in the states, now you're talking. I'd love to finish this trip at about 40-45 a day. It is possible, but not without the generosity of others and some serious stealth camping. That's just a guess from reading books and threads on here. Maybe Im wrong.

Thumper was the only way I could imagine going. Now, the not being fuel injected will cause some minor tweaking during big elevation changes, but no biggie. You're right too, I will save money because my Dr's economy. Do the ADV gods take a check? :D

You're absolutely right about finding a package or something to see parts of Alaska. From what I read, you can't even get to some of the parks by motorcycle if I'm not mistaken, and I have every intention of seeing them all. I plan on being in Alaska in July, so it sucks I'll miss a good inmate ride. Maybe I'll find someone up there looking to go on a little adventure anyways.

Thanks Again for your post.

Rideon!
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Hello.

$40-50/day is good. Most claim $100/day is average.
    At $20/day I had no motel stays on my 35 day New England trip and stayed with Marines and Sailors from the past. I am an East Coast guy. If you go to NYC look up The AdventureLoft™ . "It's the best Jerry. The best!" I got the hook up in Mexico, NY by an inmate (GreatWhiteHunter) during a rainy night. I used only two tent space thread hook ups. No oil change or MC work, and left with two weeks of food, so you can see how I can work the numbers to make it look like I am frugal.

In some parts of Yellowstone I noticed a decline in performance. I was down some horses. It was 9,000+ feet.
    I compromised by dropping it into 4th gear and riding at higher rpms. It felt about the same. I just burnt more gas. At times you will be riding at near 60mph. It is huge!
    I do not recommend changing the stock carb.

When on hard dirt and just sight seeing, the DR on a stock carb should get 60mpg if you are easy on the throttle. YMMV
  18. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    I've read that. $100, hot damn. They must either eat and drink well or say no to camping most times, $100 is way out of my ballpark.

HA, I'll check it out if I'm ever in the NYC for an reason. NYC on the bike makes me feel like Sam Flynn on the Grid just waiting to run into a solid line of light.

And I agree with you. My stock carb will stay stock, no jet, no airbox mod, nuffin. The only upgrades, are SS allen float bowl screws, manual choke, and extended fuel screw. Hopefully that last mod will make adjustments a breeze when needed. I get about 55ish on average (low altitudes), I guess I'm not as easy on the throttle :ricky

Do you run heated gear? I just finished my electrical setup, and have heated grips now and a heated vest and use a Centech AP1 relay switched fuse block. I swapped out the front light and tail light for LED's which will save the stator output a lil, but I'm not so sure with It can handle everything all at once for an extended period. I did the math and it seems like it should work but still, since the DR really only puts out 200 watts at about 5,000rpm, I don't know where its at during low RPM's.
    Long story short, did you upgrade your stator? It's like $220 for 50 watts of more juice. yikes.
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    No heated grips.

I paid for it on my Deep South Tour from January to March of 2014. I thought the cold snaps of 2013 were just a one time thing. WRONG. I should have stayed in Florida for another 10 days.
    I am just glad the human species has had countless generations of existance behind them to handle the cold. No pemenant damage. If you are going to be dumb, you have to be tuff.

I put a SW skid plate on for the western tour. That is all I have. I should get bark busters the next time I do a big trip. I did lossen the stock handle bars and rotate them up, and tighten them down. That was a great mod.
  20. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

I am a bit late to this so forgive me.

No matter the gear you take with you. It will not be the same gear you come home with. We all have different ideas, different things with our own wants and needs. Don't be afraid to use the Tent Space and when you stop evaluate your gear. Get rid of what you are not using. Trust me there will be some.

Has anyone mentioned a spare key? Get a spare key, test it. Make SURE it works. Find a place on your bike and zip tie or tape it on. Make sure you can get at it with NO tools but what you have in your pockets.

Find another place on your bike and stash a twenty or maybe a couple of twenties. Have Copies of your drivers license. Do you have any allergies or reactions to drugs? There are several ways to handle this, just make sure you have an idea.

Do not be afraid to spend a day or a week in a place that you find interesting. On the flip side of this coin don't be afraid to take off a day early from a place that just does not interest you. You will not come back to your start point the same person who left.

This is about the journey not the destination. Take your time, see what you can.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but tracks.

PS. I almost forgot. When you get out west or in Canada do NOT count on having a cell signal. You metion a couple of times that you can just pull it up on google....well no you cant not in some of the remote places. Paper maps ALWAYS work...till they get wet at least, then they are just harder to use.
    Also a Tracker of some sort? SPOT or Delorme?
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.