2016 Tour de National Parks (Lower 48, and Alaska)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by StarkNaked, Oct 12, 2015.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    In the high plains and in even as far west as Oregon, the Pronghorn handles the tarmac differently than the east coast Deer. A deer will move across the road and leap over a fence. The Pronghorns have no ups, so they no sh^t run back on the tar in a zig zag manner until they find a way back in the vedge.
    So really slow up if no one crosses your path, he might turn around and come back at you. I never saw this, but an inmate in Sioux City Falls, Iowa told me this.

There are lots of cattle on National Forest land, big time in Oregon.
    When they are a few feet away:
    Ride slow, no horns, just keep her moving. If you are a littles ways off and come over a rise, do not stop when you see them. Their insticts tell them them are being stalked by a Pred and they may start circling the wagons if calfs are around.

The Bulls are kept away from the Cows and typically not on forest roads/fire roads, so that there are a couple of calfing seasons a year. I would give them more elbow room. Turn around if un comfortable. You have the range with the big gas tank.

I road by a huge bull once that was a few feet away and he turned his head toward me as I Passed. Just one of the reasons why the stock pipe is good to go on the DR. Never been a fan of loud pipes.
    StarkNaked likes this.
  2. StarkNaked

StarkNaked Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Lol, I am hoping that the cold snaps are all done now too. Al Gore and global warming says this winter will be no biggie! But. heated grips are there just in case. What happens if you are dumb and also not tuff? HAHA.

I did that to my DR as well. Then I had an oops moment, and new handlebars seemed like a good idea. I got the 1 inch risers and lowered pegs, I'm 6ft even and it made a hell-ofa difference.

Any recommendations for deep south? I'll be there first...in March. :jkam
  3. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    You are forgiven. Thanks for joining :clap

Good post too, thank you.

No one has mentioned a spare key. I do have one, tested too. But, nover thought to put it somewhere on the bike where I don't need tools. I had a secret spot where it was going to be under lock n key.

And, a money stash spot eh? I assume you want to know where mine is? :lol2

I used to live in Aurora, Colorado and was used to losingsignall whenever mountains were near. I have maps packed, divided into regions of the country. They're no BUTLER maps, (I wish I had the budget for those puppies), but I'll do my best.

Tracker? Someone told me about the SPOT. I'm going to REI tomorrow to return a jacket that fell apart in 6 months, and I think they have them. I'll see what theyre all about.

Thanks again.
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  4. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    +1 on the spare key and take your time.
  5. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    Will do. Kudos to you for doing 33k on a DR too. That's awesome.
  6. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    By the way everyone, I know I've mainly been a bore, and haven't done updates, pictures n all that fancy stuff but, I have done one thing....I promised not to fizzle out and die in my very first post. Here I am, and I have less than 60 DAYS till my departure.

AHHHHH. So many things, so little time.

Thanks to all who have given input and have encouraged me thus far, trust me, I appreciate it!
  7. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    As far as the money stash goes....

Set your wallet on the kitchen table
    Take your bike keys.

walk out to your bike start it up and drive to the end of the block.
    Now, Wtf are you going to do?
    Your wallet is gone....you need gas, you need to eat.
    Even if you can call someone...how long will that be?

See the idea?
  8. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  9. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    I would probably kick myself, swear a few times, then turn around and go get my wallet, 200 ft down the road. :D

joking aside, I see your point. Cash stash is needed, I agree.
  10. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    I've lurked around that thread but never participated. Actually it was crucial in my decision to get one. Strong thread with lots of good talk.

Mighty DR riders. :pynd I like it.
  11. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    One of the lessons we learn the hard way.
  12. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
  13. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    I'm prone to learning things that way. The help is appreciated
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    The Deep South will have some pros and cons in March.

Pros:
    A lot of inmates will be at home and not on holiday. You should be able to find a lot of tent space and garage opportunities.

Spring will be there a little quicker than the rest of North America.

It is the shoulder season at best for a lot of places. For example, If you go by the Vicksburg Battlefield Park, you will share the place with a hand full of folks.

If you want to get a picture of your self on tour, go to the Dragon's Tail and ride that, and most likely you will have your picture taken and then later you can pull off at a small tent and purchase your picture. But if it is still cold, I doubt anyone will be there.
    There are a lot of dangerous riders on the road, so if you are conservative, you will skip this.

Cons: Flordia has a lot of snow birds there, so the population will still be up, espically if the winters are still bad in early and mid March, like the last couple of years.

There are few riders out on weekend trips and big tours.

Small garges will start to have an influx of work to do, because the local riders are fixin to start riding. So if you have any problems on the fly, you may have to wait longer. But, if it is still cold, you shold be good.
    StarkNaked likes this.
  15. StarkNaked

Oddometer:

You'll get a chuckle out of this.

This morning I stopped at a gas station for coffee and a pastry. Poured the coffee, grabbed the pasty, waited in line, total was $4 something..... NO WALLET.
    The lady could see I was really embarrassed, told me I could keep the coffee and If I made it back that way to just pay for it then.
    Couldn't get gas either.

If only I was on my bike and had my cash stash :fpalm
  16. StarkNaked

Oddometer:

Thanks, you have contributed a lot.

I'll be on the tail. I have to do the tail, crazy riders or not.

That rhymed.

I am really hoping that the tent space system works out, and the south will be my first place to really try it. I've read successes, and also a lot of no response, but like you said, there should be more opportunity because more people will be home and not off on their own great adventures this early in the season.

My brother (the super mechanic) is going to go through the bike with me one last time in the next few weeks. Luckily my brother had the mechanical touch since he was a kid and me, I'm more of a trode. I like wires and things that spark and stuff.
    We will work on:
    The infamous dr650 starter squeal, we might pull the starter cap and throw some grease in there, carb rebuild and clean and finally the NSU switch which thanks to the inmate TUCKERS, says it can be done without pulling the clutch plates.
    Then she should be good to go. My hopes is I'll have done enough and with my religious PM to the bike I won't need to visit a garage while I'm in the south. (Murphy's law could change that at any time of course.)
    sKatZ and x32792 like this.
  17. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Just did the 'squeal-ah-rectomy' -- The operation was time consuming (for me), but well worth the effort. Packed the dry bearing chamber, the little tit, on the starter cap with heavy grease and now have no rooster in there for that first morning start. Putting a 'dry' OILITE bearing in there couldn't have saved Suzuki very much and squeal is annoying.
  18. StarkNaked

Oddometer:
    haha. Glad to hear the operation was successful.

Someone in another thread said his was more like a pig squealing, and he called the noise Ned. Too funny.
  19. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I forget your route, but think about riding through Northern North Dakota as you make your way back east.

In 2014 they were busting with the oil boom. In fact, that summer the gas prices started to go down a bunch. I did not go through there, because I do not like crowds, big trucks with sleep deprived drivers, and I did not want to be the Mark (Soft Target) from hustlers and thugs. Instead, I hand railed the interstate in the middle of the state. In July, it felt like spring, and I found a few scenic byways as I pushed east to Fargo.

The oil boom that North Dakota had was something special. I am not typing that you will see ghost towns, or entire housing complexes that were built for contractors and are now empty, but check out the regional forum and ask some questions about the area.
    I think it would be neat to talk to the locals who have lived there for a few generations and get their response about the boom and bust.

___
    Also, print out and lamint the tent spaces contacts in case your smart phone is lost in action. Once you have left the tent space location, destroy the info so that your contacts will not have their info out there if it get's lost.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Just in case it has not been posted.

Get a solid mosquito net for your head. It is light and easy to pack away, so take one with you from day one. They are hard to find later on. Spare no expense if you are going to be camping a lot.