2016 Zero DSR electric dualsport

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Benswing, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Benswing

Benswing Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I really want to ride the Zero bikes, both the SR and DSR. I actually got lucky and was able to ride the Harley Live Wire, both when it first initially a prototype in testing a few years ago before anyone in the general public knew what it was and then again this past year when they did the tour around the US on them. I really enjoyed that live Wire bike and think I would enjoy the Zero too. Although their prices are still pretty high. We do have a local ATL dealership that sells and rents Zero bikes and I probably should rent one just to see what it's like.
  3. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    so far i have ridden the 2016 DSR and the '16 FXS and LOVE them both. so much so that I'm in the process of prepping ALL of my bikes for sale. as soon as they are gone, i will have an FX in my garage. i was that impressed.

as for renting one to ride, just find a dealer. all of them have demo bikes that you can ride. there is a reason they aren't trying to sell themselves as a "green" company, there is no need to. The smile on the face of everyone who rides one does all they need. they know that if you ride one, you will want one. once again, i was that impressed.

the DSR is just soooooooo quick and smooth. it's hard to even describe. no shifting, no clutch, no gap in the power, it just keeps coming at a steady, heart racing but predictable rate. the re-gen braking is a little weird but can easily be tailored with the bluetooth app. the bike is not completely silent, but damn near. weight wise it felt like riding a 640E with a full tank. handling was nice and quick. i did a short mix of highway and city on my demo. on the highway it will easily cruise at speed, and when you want more, just twist, no gap in power until you hit your top speed (which you can once again control). in the city its just fun. i was shooting through traffic effortlessly. see a small gap, shoot it, no worries about the bike not performing instantaneously. i was not able to wheelie with ease like i expected, you can't just whack open the throttle and lift the tire. i think their programing probably limits that to some extent. there are ways around this again though. the only thing i did not like was the tank bag. it flopped around in the wind like crazy. maybe with some weight in it it would be better?

the FXS is the one i really wanted to test. not really the S model but the FX platform as a whole. i had ridden the DSR the weekend before so i wanted to see what the diff in power and torque would be like. would it still be enough to make the bike something i want? the answer is a definite YES!

Mike, the owner of the shop had told me to go wherever i wanted, just watch the battery. so, left the shop in sport mode and immediately was on the throttle. i wanted to see how much i could get out of th bikes battery realistically when riding like a complete hooligan. i raced through town up to one of the major shopping malls, did a couple laps there showing the bike off to people, then blazed off back to the interstate for quick buzz at 83 mph. it once again accelerated right into and past traffic, smooth and silent as can be. its not as fast as the DSR but you really can't tell its still so quick. i had done about 20 miles at this point and was starting to feel a little guilty about having so much fun, so i headed back to the shop.

once back i talked to mike about the ride. i mentioned a few things about the regenerative braking and how i wish it was a little diff. he smiled, said let's see if we can fix that. he pulled out his phone, blue toothed to the bike, and we started playing with the settings. my complaint was the re-gen braking automatically engages as soon as the throttle is off, not only does this put power back into the system it basically acts as engine braking. i wanted to turn this off and make it more like a 2-stroke and let it free-wheel. i won't get the power re-gen but i will also go farther on the power i already used. we found the setting and turned it to 1% and mike told me to go for another ride. how could i argue?

so this time i do basically the exact same route but in the custom mode. i had fun the first time but this time was awesome. the change in settings worked perfectly, the bike was doing exactly what i wanted and as a bonus, it was even quieter. when off the throttle and coasting it was almost completely silent. even when riding on the throttle, the wind noise in my helmet was greater than the noise from the bike. i cannot express how nice this is. i love my rally bike sounds, but this silence is just sublime.

the bike handles and feels awesome. feels like a well sorted 450. its a little heavier but you really don't notice. all of the Zero's have anti-lock brakes, this is a setting that i hope can be turned off (i have gotten conflicting reports) but one thing i kind wish it had was some traction control. on 2 occasion i hit some dirt while turning and had a oh shit moment, one with the front, one with the back tire. don't know if it was me, the tires, the re-gen braking, the anti-lock system, or just the power but that much torque on a loose surface has potential for danger.

by the time i got back to the shop i had done just over 40 miles and had 52% of my battery left. that means that if i had ridden like a rational human being in eco mode (which is still tons of fun) i could probably get 100+ miles out of a charge. for me, that sealed the deal. add that with the acceleration, handling, and all the other bonuses, I'm sold. no more oil changes, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, valve adjusts, fuel, fuel filters, clutch, clutch cables, ......you get the point.

i will keep you posted.

laters,

laramie :beer
  4. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would love to have an electric Dualsport. What's not to like? Quiet,no fuel,oil changes servicing, but 20 grand? Not likely! My current Dualsport is a Drz400, I could buy 3 of those for one Zero.
    LewisNClark likes this.
  5. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    I test rode one last year. I forget the model. I LOVED it and would like one, but as Newbury said, $18-20K is a lot of money.
  6. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    $11,500 for the FX or FXS with a fast charger, $10,900 without charger.

$0.01 per/mile or 489 mpg equivalent. no oil, gas, filters, clutches, or maintenance other than tires and fork oil. how much is that worth along with the time it takes you to do it all yourself? my time isn't cheap and I'm done fighting with bikes to keep them running. I'm a damn good mechanic but its frankly lost its appeal. with this bike, i can ride for 2 days of commuting plus a little fun, plug it in for 3.5 hrs ( w/speed charger) and I'm good to go again. I'm sorry but change is here and they are only going to get lighter, faster, and cheaper each year ( oh, and they can be upgraded). this something no other bike manufacturer can say at this point. I'm sold, all my gas bikes are for sale. make me an offer if interested.

laters,

laramie :beer
    LewisNClark likes this.
  7. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Dsr Zero in Canada is a shade over 20 grand. I agree they are the future , but the price has to come down.
    Like I said before I can buy 3 Drz dualsports for that money.
    If they were 11 grand or less I would be all over one. :-)
  8. dorkpunch

dorkpunch Oops...

Oddometer:
    Brother in law bought one a month or two ago. He's a techie and not really a motorcycle person, so talking to him about it leads to a discussion about volts and charge times. Hoping to swing a leg over it next summer and see how it really does. Think it would be great for around town (what he'll be doing with it) but you definitely won't be touring on it or doing 200 mile loops out into the desert.

Also, apparently charging them if the temp is below freezing fries the charger... His is getting replaced under warranty. Makes it harder to ride in my climate.
  9. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I test-rode the Zero DS...would love to have it.

The price is an obstacle, however. That, and that I have THREE cycles now...and even as good as the Zeros are, they won't take the place of a petrol-cycle.
  10. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the cost of replacement batteries once that becomes an issue . . . . . .

11. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    The batteries shouldn't need replacing for at least 250,000 miles, and by that time there will be a different generation of battery. I have a 13 DS and my battery is practically new after 17k miles.

I am looking at the DSR but mainly for suspension and brake improvements. The real adventure adaptation is to get a high powered charger and use it at RV camp site outlets. I have one on order, and this should be the real game changer.
  12. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once they get the technology in place to have a range closer to 500 or a full recharge in 15 minutes I'm in. The mountains are a little over 100 miles away and I'm not trailering for the fun rides.
    But it is exciting to see this stuff coming out.
    GlennR likes this.
  13. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd love an electric DS bike, but the lack of range is the biggest issue to me. I already get a sinking feeling in my stomach when I'm running low on gas. On a battery bike I'd likley be too paranoid about running out of juice to really explore much.
  14. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

500 miles? As if your bike does that now.
  15. AppFan

AppFan Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, it doesn't go 500 miles per tank but only takes 5 minutes to fill up and keep going.
    I'm not going to wait 3 1/2 hours between charges if on a day trip....
  16. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    And you can fill up just about anywhere. Plenty of places in the city to charge around here, but there are currently zero charging options for it in the fun riding areas.

I too like the idea of an electric bike, and I can't wait for the infrastructure to catch up, prices to come down, etc. I can't wait till I can get a ride on one of these... http://lightningmotorcycle.com/
  17. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    But it takes a very long time to recharge compared to filling a fuel tank.
  18. wyowillys46

wyowillys46 Petrosexual.

Oddometer:
    Not a whole lot of charging options in Skidoo or the middle of the Great Basin...
  19. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    If the electric bike manufactures could piggy back off what Tesla has done with the super chargers. (https://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger) Now granted, they are mostly focused around the interstate right now, but quickly expanding and i'm sure as time goes on chargers will basically be all over. The Tesla's have a range of approximately 200-250 miles depending on the model, but with the right planning, you can do a long trip. They have it so you get about 80% charge in about 30-40 mins and most of them are situated by places to eat. If the bikes could do something similar, that would be great.
  20. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you charge at an RV park or higher rate charging station, you get at least 7kW which for the current battery brings the charge waits down to a half hour, suitable for a quick walk or lunch break.

I have a 4kW charging arrangement right now and can often fill up in under an hour.

It may never be the same as a gas bike, but the pace soon will be a very good compromise (2 hours on, half hour off). Your fatigue will be lower because the bike will be quieter and easier to manage without shifting and perfect torque control. I'm setting up a reverse gear so I can back my way up a downhill slope, for example. So it's not just "like a gas bike but worse".

One thing unresolved, though, that depends not just on the speed of charging but overall capacity is group rides. No gas rider will want to wait for a charging rider unless they really like them. And multiple electric riders need multiple charging plugs in parallel. So, that's the real trade off.