2016 Zero DSR electric dualsport

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Benswing, Oct 15, 2015.

1. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Zero's battery is extremely well armored. Even totaled bikes seem to have fine batteries. The FX batteries are swappable so probably even less of a concern.

One upside is that there's little else to damage. Mainly handlebars and forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    Why? Is the OP a commercial seller? Is anyone else who has posted here?
  3. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, he's some type of paid moto journalist that's pushing these electric bikes.
    http://www.highgearmedia.com/user/10034138_ben-rich
    That link ^ is from a similar thread where somebody called him on it-ish.
  4. MrBob

MrBob Back in the piney woods. Supporter

Oddometer:
    If he was fronting for a company, his ass should be banned, but if he was just sharing with fellow riders, no problem,
  5. YakSpout

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the heads up.
  6. Benswing

Benswing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, sorry for the confusion, I adjusted the original post. I do a bit of writing for GreenCarReports.com and was simply wondering what the ADVRider community thought about the newest electric Dual Sport bike. In the future I'll go about it a different way.
    Regarding being a paid journalist, technically I am, but it's merely a token amount. I'm a science teacher who loves to ride cross country. Done it a few times now and am planning another trip this summer. Not selling anything, and I am not sponsored by Zero. I like electric motorcycles because I just prefer my money go to American power companies instead of Middle East oil companies. Cheers!
  7. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    same story here man. spec ed teacher, love riding, and just love the idea and simplicity of an electric bike. yes, my friend just so happens to be a new dealer but i certainly have no deal or partnership other than i love riding them.

with that said, this is how i spent my day. my before mentioned friend asked me to be lead demo rider for his event.

i got to ride this, 2016 DS-R Police Spec Bike.....

20160402_084059.jpg

followed by these, 2016 - (2)DS-R's, (1) S-R, (1) FX-S....

20160402_090639.jpg

6.5 mile loop. every 20 mins, a new set of riders.

it was a blast. got to meet a bunch of new people. see a bunch of shocked and smiling faces. and, ride a cool bike all day.

only had 1 incident, and it was something i had cautioned every rider about before setting off. he accelerated to quickly from a stop taking a turn. he lost the rear end, went over. 106 ft/lbs. of torque will spin a tire on edge loose really easy.

i got to the next light and did not see him, noticed someone motioning backwards, so i hit the red's and blue's flipped around, rode up the side of the road into oncoming traffic, and was able to get to him pretty quick and make sure he was secure. i really wanted to hit the siren, but had been told that was a definite NO-NO!

he was ok, just his ego damaged. bike had a busted front brake lever, but enough to function, and a scraped foot brake. we got him settled, got the bike squared, and got him back to the shop. we swapped that bike for another FX-S and kept going. by the time i got back from the next demo, they had the bike fixed and ready to ride.

kinda funny that he was the only one all day i had a funny feeling about. i would intro myself to each rider and talk to them about how they ride and what they ride before each ride, and he for some reason just tingled my spidey senses. not sure what it was but it sure was something.

with that said. i cannot wait. i will have one before the end of this month. all sorts of special deals going on now and im going to take advantage of them all.

keep ya posted.

laters,

laramie :beer
  8. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to try an electric bike someday, but I would always worry about getting too far from home and running out of juice. I suppose it's just part of the learning experience adjusting to riding an electric bike.
  9. dhallilama

dhallilama Long timer

Oddometer:
    half my bikes it's always been "worry about getting too far from home and it breaking".... it just running out of juice would be a welcome change!

i love engines. i mean really love them. i enjoy building, tuning, etc...

that being said, i really, really want to try an electric motorcycle.
    a quiet dual sport that performs?
    that i can plug in at work, to charge for free?
    this being Portland, with the love of all things green and whatever, i bet i could park in bicycle parking too!

yeah, i'd like to try one.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  10. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    my new '16 FX-S will be in my hands on tuesday.... :gdog
  11. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    Sports Plaza
    9515 SE 82nd Ave.
    Portland, OR, USA
    (503) 841-6966

call to schedule a demo ride. just need a drivers licence with a moto endorsement and proof of insurance. one thing to be careful of is people have an EVEN harder time seeing you because now you are also completely silent. i was almost hit 2 times yesterday on my 1 hr. demo spin. :eek good thing though, you have more acceleration instantly than ANYTHING else on the road and can shoot out of most situations. maybe if a ferrari pulls up next to you, you might be out gunned, maybe...

i plan on riding mine into work and parking it in my classroom. kids will love it, it's been kinda empty since i took the Duke2 out and sold it.

laters,

12. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I saw an FX on the streets in Cambridge and did a double take, that's one nice bike and perfect for a city.

How big of a battery pack are you going with?
  13. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    i'm getting the 6.5, so 2 packs. also getting a speed charger.

i wanted to get the FX, but it doesn't have the new internal permanent magnet motor (IPM). instead i will get a set of dirt tires to work on the FX-S.

laters,

NikonsAndVStroms likes this.
  14. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Congrats, laramie. I didn't realize the FX/S were priced at that level. I'd looked at the DS and were too rich for me. But the FX looks better.

Someday!
  15. dhallilama

dhallilama Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn. That's like 20 minutes from my house. I have a driver's license with moto endorsement and insurance.
    I'm really tempted to call and schedule a demo... and at the same time really trying not to. I have a feeling I'll really like it.
  16. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    if you do, you will never look at motorcycles (or other motors) the same....not to over state but it's a bit of a paradigm shift.
    BrianTRice and NikonsAndVStroms like this.
  17. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    :nod
  18. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    hehehehehehehehehe......

20160503_175739.jpg

gotta admit i'm kinda embarrassed. i didn't even make it 1 mile before that 70 ft/lbs of torque and a new tire had me sliding across the road. bike shows no sign, my left forearm not so much.

served 2 useful things in my opinion;

1- i don't have to worry about scratching it anymore

2 - a healthy respect of riding the street again.

what i did today on dirt, in gear, would have been a laugh. today with no gear other than helmet and gloves, on the blacktop, not very pretty. gonna have to address that.

tickled with the bike though.

had some issues with the bank wanting to charge me a higher interest rate because the cost financed was more than the value of the bike. ie, speed charger, taxes, title, licence, freight, set-up. i asked them to get started on this 2 weeks ago, told them everything upfront, been calling to make sure, was told this morning they wanted to add 2% interest to the loan. i told them to stick it, it didn't sound like they wanted me as a customer anymore (27+ yrs). the loan manager (guy i have been speaking to for 2+ weeks) said he couldn't break policy and needed to talk to his boss. i said, "why don't you let me talk to your boss?" he mumbled something, put me on hold.......couple minutes later i had exactly what i wanted. dont fuck with me and my new bike. i will eat you for lunch.

wow, obviously need to vent a little. i feel better now. hehehehehe!

laters,

19. YakSpout

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. :D

I really want to schedule a Zero test ride one of these days.
  20. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    although my body aches from every joint, i just cant stop ridding this bike. what a freaking joy. rode it right up to work, opened the door, road it down the hallway into my room and plugged it in. going on my longest venture yet in a few mins, see how it does...

laters,

BrianTRice likes this.