2016 Zero DSR electric dualsport

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Benswing, Oct 15, 2015.

1. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Going down the other hallway doesn't count!

Have fun!
    mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  2. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear
  3. turbojet

turbojet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Live in Portland, Or. Ordered DSR last week after test ride. Should be in here in the next few days to week. Current price with federal tax incentive and fuel for life rebate puts the price at $13,395 OTD (not including registration) which is a little more doable. Agree the price is high but the lack of regular maintenance and the ability to charge up at work or the local mall is an advantage. Portland fortunately has a pretty good Blink infrastructure for charging. Over the past 17 years have had a BMW 1100 GS, KLR650, Vstrom 650, KTM 990 and now a DR650. However with a 6 year old I am primarily a commuter/close to town adventurer. In terms of commuting and around town use I need carrying capacity. DSR should work for this. Zero makes a rear rack for a GIVI top case. Happy Trail makes rear racks that you can put a variety of hard and soft panniers on so I should be good for carrying space. I also have a cabin out in Hood River (65 miles away) and should be able to make it out there, charge it up and go riding. I'll post more once I get the bike. :D
  4. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    sorry, crazy time of year.

bike is awesome, more fun than i can explain. already ridden 197 miles on it, more than i have ridden ANY bike in over a year due to my neck injury. no vibrations, no noise, no 500+ weight of a 990. it's been nice. i am still trying to get the suspension just right. changing settings each day, closing in on a pretty good, comfortable but still aggressive ride. problem is under acceleration SO much is transferred to the rear shock due to the torque that it's a bit of a game. i will get it figured soon. or sell more parts and send the suspension to my guy and have him fix it. im sure this will happen at some point anyways but for now i would like to ride the bike as much stock as possible to get to know it before i change anything.

word to the wise, if you buy the FX or FX-S (2 battery only models) you need the quick charger. it helps a lot. cuts charge times by about 60% from what i am seeing. if your trip is less than 60 miles a day, you will be fine. if you want more than that or have a heavy right hand (which is very easy on these things) you need it. very easy to access charger connection on bike, just make sure you have another 15 amp circuit to run it on.

bike w/ on board and speed charger hooked up.

https://goo.gl/photos/oR3uuUE9H3s9pjLLA
    [​IMG]

i am going to make a post on the the bike soon so we aren't muddling this post anymore, keep an eye out.

laters,

laramie :beer
    voltsxamps and Uncle Pollo like this.
  5. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    From Zero's website:

FREE “FUEL”
    FOR LIFE

Buy a new 2016 Zero in May, get up to $1,000.
    That’s like free electricity for 75,000
    miles…and freedom from fuel for life.

If "one of these days" is this month, you can save up to an extra grand if you end up buying one.
  6. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    i saved $1,091 on the bike, and $200 on the speed charger due to federal incentives, plus got the $650 "fuel for life" bonus. not to bad. of course you don't see that money right away, the federal incentives will be received with next years taxes, the $650 as soon as they get my warranty registered and send it out...

laters,

7. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Sweet! I didn't know there were incentives on the charge tank as well.

I'm seriously contemplating getting a Zero before the end of the month to receive the promotional "fuel" visa gift card too. In addition to a $1350 price drop, federal incentives bring an S/DS or SR/DSR further $1100, $1400, or $1600. I can get another $900 off with Ca state tax incentives thrown in. (Maryland residents gets $1625).

If my math is correct, that brings the price of an FX/S down to as low as $5745 or an S/DS to $7995 after all incentives in my state. So tempting.
  8. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    you get 10% on cost of bike, and 30% on all charging accessory/supplies. no way you're getting an FXS down to $5700. bikes is 10,900 - 1090 rebate - $650 fuel for life- $900 cali incentives = still over $8000. plus you still have to have all that money up front, you don't get it back till you file taxes next march. even though it really helps, you still have to come up with a chunk of change. my '16 FXS w/ taxes/title/freight/setup/2yr licence + additional speed charger brought my loan to just over $13,000.

there is no wiggle on the price, set-up, anything, they don't deal. only differences in cost will be the local and state taxes.

laters,

9. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    image.jpg

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/

Yes, I had mistakenly factored the $1000 the S/SR & DS/DSR instead of a $650 gift card for the FX's, but it's only a $350 difference.

Their website shows $6745 after incentives plus a $650 fuel for life gift card for an FXS. Yes, the tax incentives come later after filing taxes, but basically $6095 factoring in all incentives and the gift card, plus taxes/title/freight/setup, etc. Still a good deal.
  10. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    sorry wasn't thinking about the 3.5

with that said, you'd be crazy not to spend the extra $$$ and get the 2nd battery pack.

i went out this morning on mine to try and find some fun. ended up finding a large, empty parking lot that became my track. spent close to an hour just twisting around. spent less battery in that hour than just getting there, and had more fun than i've had on 2 wheels since hurting my neck. it was a riot. this bike is made for this stuff. just spoke to my dealer, we are going to a track day next week!

my little track.... http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6864594

laters,

BrianTRice and voltsxamps like this.
  11. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Hey Laramie,

Did you buy the ZERO FXS ZF6.5?

If so, how is the feel of the weight of the bike?

According to the Zero website, its 293 lbs, and that's without a full tank of gas. Err...wait a minute, maybe that is without a full charge of electrons. I wonder how much a full charge of electrons will add to the curb weight? Lol!

No seriously, I'm wondering if you have noticed the 293 lbs? That's not particularly heavy for a motorcycle, but is on the heavy side for trail riding.

Thanks,

Ed

Ps: happened upon a guy from my home town commuting along my commute route the other day, he was riding a Brammo Empulse R Icon Ben Bostrum tribute something or other bike. He had no trouble keeping up with commuter traffic and we even did a short stint on the highway, he was right there with me. I think we rode 15 miles or so together before I peeled off.

His Brammo looks killer! I want one! Except for that wimpy swingarm, that doesn't look too killer. Looks downright dangerous actually. Ha ha...

I've been trying to hook up with him to check it out but schedules have not aligned yet, but I think an electric motorcycle is in my future.

[​IMG]
    voltsxamps likes this.
  12. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    yup, i got the '16 FXS 6.5.

the weight is nothing, but then again i have been wrestling my 990. once on the bike it handles great, like i said yesterday i had a blast. it was part SM part MotoGP and the bike was great at both. on smooth asphalt the bike is perfectly smooth, no vibrations at all. add to that you don't have to concentrate on clutching, downshifting, upshifting, engine/clutch braking, none of that. it makes riding it, and riding it aggressively that much easier.

that brammo is cool but doesn't have the power or torque of the Zero R models, more like the base models. it also has a 6 speed trans and clutch which all require maintenance. it's also more money...

laters,

woodsrider-boyd and voltsxamps like this.
  13. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I read about the Brammo. Weird having a tranny but still rideable without using it. More maintenance, as Laramien said, and no point.

I've only ridden one Zero, the DS, but loved it. I may have to go back for another test ride.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  14. Shadows

Shadows Zero 2016 DSR FX13.0

Oddometer:
    Got myself a 2016 DSR ZF13.0 this month. First motorbike I've ever owned, so nothing to compare it to except the 250cc dinosaur I rode in a MSF riders course many years ago. As beginner things go the Zero in ECO mode is forgiving and functional not having to jack about with clutch and shift lever. I've dropped it twice at a standstill not anticipating the top-heavy 400lb+ nature of the ride. Some dirt in the throttle grip but otherwise not a scratch. A fellow rider took pity on me and showed me how to brace the bike at an angle to my hip as in a triangle when off-bike and maneuvering. Wondered why the rolling resistance was so high and fixed that by turning the key to "off" position - the motor is energized at zero RPM or what-have-you it is more noticeable in off-road situations not so much on level pavement. No range anxiety at all for a 50 mile commute, but what do you call it, I still don't feel like a member of the "EV club" without level 2 J-plug capabilities. I can find no written accounts of any Zero reviewed or owned with the Charge Tank option installed, but I'm ready to order that option when the $1k promotional visa gift card arrives.

Questions for the peanut gallery:
    1. Did anyone here with a Zero add the Charge Tank option? Please share your experiences.
    2. What size and sort of vehicle cover is recommended for the DSR outdoors? Block sun UV and/or snow?
    3. Who's added storage mounts? How did storage boxes affect range? Anyone of you carry a passenger on the bike - is it comparable better/worse to other motorbikes in stability and comfort for passenger and gear carry?
    4. Cold weather comforts - grip guards / heated grips / windscreen... what's worth doing?
    BrianTRice and voltsxamps like this.
  15. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
  16. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I switched from a 2013 DS to 2016 DSR recently.

The Charge Tank is extremely new and there are no customer reports yet.

The Zero is about the size of a 500cc bike, so a relatively small cover will do.

I've had top and side cases on my DS. The side cases (E22) do put a 5% dent in range but the top case hardly at all. My DSR has a Givi Maxia top case and will get Happy Trails side racks soon. I'm planning to minimize side case use.

I got heated grips used for my 13 but the 16 has no grip option. I do use a very large windscreen and I tuned it for aerodynamics and smooth airflow / low noise. I get a 15% range boost with it.

I have an L2 Elcon charger but am waiting on a third part tank charger with greater capacity so I can cross the countryside charging at RV parks.
    Shadows likes this.
  17. jekaio

jekaio Ride The Lightning

Oddometer:
    It would be cool if you could charge the bike off of your truck/van on your way to an OHV and/or while camping.

That would be a possibility for my future
  18. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    You could actually with an inverter :)

Very slowly.. :gerg
  19. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    10+kWh are not easy to get through a vehicle. I suggest using the RV park plugs, NEMA 14-50, and not a vehicle.
  20. Benswing

Benswing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have both storage and a passenger and she feels comfortable riding on the passenger seat. The storage has a minimal effect on range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shadows and BrianTRice like this.