2016 Zero DSR electric dualsport

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Benswing, Oct 15, 2015.

1. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    What about a generator in the bed?

I have no idea about the output but it couldn't hurt, could it?

Oooh, I know, how about towing a trailer with the Zero and put the generator on the trailer!
    voltsxamps likes this.
  2. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    yes it would be possible to charge the bike in the wild assuming you have the correct stuff. when i did the demo ride day, one of the guys that signed up lived "off grid" in a camper with solar power. he was producing more power than he could store and these bikes made perfect sense for him. he could charge them and use them as battery backup and storage for his system. there is also a guy you just made an inverter so you can use your zero for your home solar battery backup.

i have over 400 miles on my new FXS so far and still just love it. kinda bummed the temps as starting to climb as that is the only thing i don't like, having to put on all the damn gear in the heat. once moving im fine, but getting started and stopping get's warm....

some video from the other morning. went back to my empty lot @ 6am and had a blast.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

laters,

laramie :beer
  3. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    Well, at least you don't have a hot engine, exhaust pipes, and a radiator to turn up the heat!
    NikonsAndVStroms likes this.
  4. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've finally joined the 400-mile day ride club. The Zero DSR with a good windscreen makes travel pretty enjoyable, certainly quiet and vibration free. Naturally, charging controls the schedule and still takes up one third of the day, but no longer dominates the clock. I'm of course assuming being able to charge at 10kW and cut drag enough to extend highway range. I carry three aerodynamic case sand will be tweaking my setup for further drag and range improvements.

Ben of course is riding across the continental US with fast charging equipment this month, and seems to be able to handle 500 mile days.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  5. Shadows

Shadows Zero 2016 DSR FX13.0

Oddometer:
    Total trip on my 2016 DSR evening of 4th to evening of 5th July: 350mi. All slow charging with the OEM built-in no extra chargers.

After work on the 4th had a thought "I haven't seen the stars at night in awhile, not really" and that I would venture out 154mi to a hot springs in the Nevada desert. Some quick map math suggests a small chance I could actually make it to my destination but more likely I'd get stuck. Have off the next day the 5th not working so figure to just go for it that night on the 4th, pack a bottle of water and head out. Traffic is minimal because everyone is busy playing with explosives for the holiday.

Full charge to start.
    64mi Truckee CA to Wadsworth NV slow charge +15%
    16mi Wadsworth NV to Nixon NV slow charge +20%
    54mi Nixon NV to Empire slow charge +10%
    17mi Empire to the hot springs including 13mi of an unmaintained road that included washboards washouts suicidal-jackrabbits and plenty of loose gravel that had me swearing up and down the whole way, not to mention I didn't know how far up the road to go and the bike developed an electrical short that cut out the backlight and taillight so not even knowing if I had the range to make it; what a bunch of bad idea theatre on my part!

I made it to the hot springs with 9% soc and was lucky to meet some campers who let me charge off their rental RV's generator up to 50% soc.

20mi hot springs shortcut over the lake bed up the highway to a working ranch for a full charge and to meet a friend.
    32mi working ranch back to nearest town meet a friend and top off for a full charge. This begins the return trip.
    60mi town to Nixon NV slow charge +35% and confirm with station workers permission to charge. I buy snacks and ask the folks working there to mention to their boss that I would happily pay for a quick charge if they were to install an EV charging station. The next best thing we can figure out is to try using a Terribles service station in Fernley NV 19mi away (the wrong way from where I'm going).
    50mi Nixon NV to a friend's house in Reno NV for a charge to 85% and some sleep before heading to work early morning
    38mi Reno NV to complete round-trip Truckee CA

Total: 350mi (add 80mi for the following day's trip to the dealership and back because of electrical short)
  6. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Possibly an odd question...
    If you were to strap a smallish generator on the back, could it charge while riding, or can you only charge when stopped?
  7. BrianTRice

Oddometer:
    If I ride between 55-65mph with no heavy headwinds, I get a little over 100 miles of range. I get 115 miles sometimes. But that's after I've taken time to tune a custom windshield mount; stock mileage at that speed is more like 85 miles.

City mileage is 150 miles but that takes a lot of patience to run down without going fast. Terry managed a 240 mile run at probably 25-35 mph over a very long day.

I made a computational spreadsheet just to plan trips which more or less blesses 55mph as an all day speed that uses time best to cover ground. Drag and charging rates change that a bit but it takes investment.
    a1fa likes this.
  8. BrianTRice

Oddometer:
    Short version: Nope.

Long answer: I'm tired of answering questions like this, because no current generator is efficient enough, light enough, and low drag enough to pay for itself on a motorcycle trailer, let alone as a hybrid.

My 13kWh battery would need a 2kW generator to run for 7 hours to recharge when I easily discharge it in 2 hours and often less. A high powered charging system is much more worthwhile for now.
  9. BrianTRice

Oddometer:
    You are more patient than I am! I can do 300 miles in a sunrise to midnight day using one Elcon 2500 (couples with onboard charger for 4kW).

I can only imagine the range anxiety not being able to read the dash. Did the mobile app help you plan? Could you even charge your phone off the bike at all?

It's too bad about the short - where was it?
  10. Shadows

Shadows Zero 2016 DSR FX13.0

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention I was stopped by law enforcement on the way home, first time having that happen on a bike. The officer let me know my running light was non-operational. No ticket, turned on hazard lights for rest of travel to comply.

The phone was not charging so didn't use it.

Still have the electrical problem and running with hazards until fixed. The shop will look at it first thing on Tuesday.

*edit* and this picture from the return part of that trip (below)
    [​IMG]
  11. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son's bike was being worked on by Cyclemax at the Montgomery County Airpark in Maryland and when I went to pick it up for him, I got to borrow a Zero DSR for a half hour test ride. (Thanks Don!) I blasted around a number of twisty backroads in the woods and had an absolute ball! If my garage wasn't already full with 4 bikes, the boat, camper, and other stuff, this would have been parked there last night.

The best way I can describe it is as being very much like an electric version of my lowered KTM 690r. It's not quite as tall, has slightly lower handlebars, and a seat that holds you in one place. While being heavier, it doesn't feel it because the bike is not as high. Otherwise, the two bikes are ergonomically similar. Obviously, the bars and seat could be changed to be a better dual-sport, but they were fine for commuting and general riding. My commute into DC is just under 80 miles round trip of mixed speeds and the DSR has a Zero's biggest battery pack, which gets 100+ miles with no problem. The SR model has the same battery with a motor that has slightly less power so it gets better range, but I like the DSR as it's more dual-sporty.

The Zero accelerates easily as hard as the 690r BUT does it with no noise, no shifter, and no clutch. Twist the throttle and GO as hard as you turn it, regardless of speed. Doing uphill starts is a non-issue because there's no clutch to balance against the throttle. You look at the numbers and 67 hp is in the ball park of the KTM, but the 106 lb.ft. of torque is in the Hayabusa class! One of the cool parts of the bike is that you can change it from wimp to butt-kicker. In fact, the throttle can be much more manageable because with your smart phone you can create custom maps so the response and engine braking are however you want them to be! While I didn't take Don's baby off road, the bike would have been totally comfortable doing so with the 19 inch front wheel and dual sport tires.
    [​IMG]
    When Don told me the list price, it was a deal killer UNTIL we started talking about the
    Fed tax refund of 10%. Home charging station refunds are even better.
    Md tax refund of 10%
    Zero currently has a $1000 discount
    I'd also qualify for Zero's discount to 1st responder, LEO, etc.

Suddenly, it was within range of a new Husqy 701, which is the current version of my 690r. AND I wouldn't be putting gas in it constantly to go to work.

While the Super Tenere is a keeper, the WR250R has already been up for sale for the last week+, and I'm seriously thinking about selling the 690r to get the Zero!

Magazine photo with the flyscreen and rack, like what I rode.
    [​IMG]
    BigIron, bmwloco, gravel road and 4 others like this.
  12. JDUBinCO

Oddometer:
    I test rode a fxs 6.5 at the dealer today. The battery was at 26% at the start of the ride so that may have had something to do with my first impressions. I really wanted to ride a fx because I think I could live with its short-comings in exchange for the extra riding opportunities that I would have as a result of the silence but they had none.

A little about me: I prefer dirt biking but will take my 20 years riding experience to the street to get my fix.

Showroom impression: This bike is short and dense (heavy). I like the way it looks! :evil

Riding impressions: Very low speed is undetermined. One thing that I wonder is how well would the motor deals with single track lugging on a long hill. I was not able to determine that but it is very smooth at low speeds. On acceleration it is very fast to 40, no slouch to 50 and a little (yawn) more relaxed above 50. I thought this thing would continue to rocket to 70 (might have been low voltage). I like the power of my WR450 and the ability to loft the front wheel at 40+ mph with a little body language. The riding position on the fxs would not allow that body language input without some big bar risers and even then I don't think it would have the punch to do it. Its a little too forward leaning.

The virtual silence of the electric motor is excellent! It makes for a very relaxed riding experience and draws no stares. I did a small test loop and passed two cops (one in a school zone where I may have been exceeding the speed limit by a mph or 2) and plenty of other drivers. No one stared. No one noticed. This is a very stealthy bike. :bmwrider It was also noticeable that my pants did not melt, cook, or heat in any way other than by the assistance of the sun. Its really nice to have no engine heat!

Other cool feature: no warm-up. Jump on and floor it!

I am not an accomplished sumo rider but low speed / high lean angle maneuvers is where this bike excels. It has excellent torque though a 4-stroke like delay in power delivery is, I suspect, programmed in. I would prefer the response snappier. On sport mode I pulled a small unintentional power wheelie. This bike really gets after it at low speeds.

At the end of my short 3-4 mile loop I was at 16% power and wondering what starting at 100% would have felt like. I liked it but was not inspired to convince the treasury department to budget funding for one. Perhaps a little more versatility in the fx would make me want one more, but probably not.

After riding virtually any bike with more than 30 hp I'm always left with an indelible smile and my head buzzes with adrenaline, the Zero FXS didn't do this for me like my WR does. I really wanted to love this bike and I liked it a lot but it didn't make me giddy. I'd still be a happy owner if the opportunity presented itself at the right price.
  13. BrianTRice

Oddometer:
    No dealer should offer a test ride at 26% charge state. When a battery is low, the voltage is lower and the power output tends to be anemic.

The FX is no WR replacement, but it's not how you experienced it either.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  14. JDUBinCO

Oddometer:
    Good to know. The dealer is dropping Zero, maybe this is not a happy relationship ?
  15. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but more likely it's because the dealer wants something with faster turnover and sales in those square feet of floor space.
  16. JDUBinCO

Oddometer:
    Well yes, the salesman basically told me that. Why they wouldn't put their best foot forward to sell their stock by charging the batteries is beyond me. Oh well, it was a fun bike and they won't be getting a fx in stock because they are dropping the brand.
  17. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    as mentioned above, no dealer that has any idea about what they are selling would send one of these bikes out @ 26%, unless immediately followed by a "but you gotta come back and try @100%" i'm sorry you had a bad experience. as for the FXS ability to SM, this thing is amazing. i'm dragging my kickstand through turns now (never rode SM before this) and still have plenty more in the tank. if you look around this post you will find a vid i posted of me racing around empty an parking lot, early in the morning, having a hoot, and no one cares. i'm starting to sound like a robot, but silence truly is bliss...

once again, bummed about your experience. not sure where you are at but Michael will ship and has a 2016 demo for a steal. this is the bike that convinced me to buy mine.... currently listed @ $8,000 - On Any Moto. several other smoking deals in there as well.

laters,

laramie :beer
  18. JDUBinCO

Oddometer:
    This is the number two reason I'm excited about electric motorcycle technology ( number 1 is torque). If all dirt bikers made no noise off road then land closures would stop, almost entirely. Hikers and bikers would stop complaining. No one would really know you are there, or care.
    falcn and Wreckchecker like this.
  19. Wreckchecker

Oddometer:
    So can anybody relate real experience off road with water crossings?
  20. BrianTRice

Oddometer:
    I've done water crossings in the city in the middle of flooding but not through an off-road stream.

For what it's worth, the batteries themselves go through submersion testing (they've dumped some battery cases into the Pacific and then recovered for testing, but there's a tamer test that each case gets for quality control ). I would slather the bike's connections and electrical seams in dielectric grease before an adventurous trip to take care of both moisture and dust risks, but that's no more work than an oil change.