2016 Zero DSR electric dualsport

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Benswing, Oct 15, 2015.

1. snurdle

snurdle The name is, Bond.....

Oddometer:
    I am looking at buying a Zero, I have been for about a year and the new DSR seems to be the most interesting/appealing.
    May I ask a question to those that own a zero motorcycle about the charging and discharging as the information available online is a bit incomplete.
    Q1, If I absolutely spank it from a full charge, it runs approx 1 hour?
    a) Equating to a range of maybe 80 miles if that is at highway speeds into a headwind?
    b) An hour of most stupid wheelies and drag starts if goofing around?

Q2, This one hour to use 13KW/h roughly equates to 17HP with minimal drivetrain and motor losses is approx the same as a 500cc thumper due to the stupendous torque?
    a) Can you go beyond a yes/no and give your best ICE equivalence explanation in a sentence or two?
    b) How would you modify/clarify that sentence to describe the last 15 minutes/25% where the prior posts describe a loss of performance due to lower terminal voltage.

Q3, Charging.
    a) You plug in a 110V AC standard US plug somewhere on the bike and it charges from zero to full in some 12-13 hours? =1KW per hour and assuming 80% power supply efficiency = almost 10A drawn on the AC domestic circuit.
    b) The 1KW quick chargers, the numbers seem about the same as (a) so is it fair to assume that its the same AC to DC converter as included inside the bike but now external allowing a second AC domestic circuit? (don't want to trip the home 15A typical limit) to be used in conjunction with (a) so now there is a DC input from the external charger as well as the AC direct input to half the charging time?
    c) Quick charging J1772, gimmick or must have? Do you have/use it? If not why not?

Q4 DIY "Tesla Powerwall" type scenario. Have you looked at the viability of justifying the bike as an emergency power output to keep the electricity on in your home during a power cut/zombie apocalypse? (If you have any web resources on this one I would be interested in a link)
    a) If so, rather than a convoluted expense of grid current detection/isolation/switching devices, any references on an emergency "manual" use i.e power goes of, you go and turn off at the main, plug in bike?
    b) In plugging in the bike in the scenario above have you any info on a standard DC to AC inverter that has been used directly?
    c) Does the DC input socket to the bike allow a reverse current to flow or would the bike need some modification?
    d) If (c) is a yes can the charger of Q3 (b) be a marine type of inverter/charger.

If any owner can answer any of these questions I would appreciate your responses. Be as technical as you wish with numbers/calculations no need to dumb it down
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    Q1- if you are flogging it, yes about 1hr of hard riding. in the city you will get much better. remember these are the opposite of ICE bikes, the do much better at the slower, stop and go stuff than the high speed stuff.

Q2- not quite sure what you are asking. yes the bike is fast, and yes it has more torque than you know what to do with. it is easily on par with my 525 for power, but much quicker and easier to deal with. the accel is on par with a 1000cc sport bike.

Q3- yes, it takes 1 dedicated 15 amp circuit to power the on-board charger. the bike will draw up to 12 amps by itself so you have to make sure you don't have the circuit overloaded. if you use one of the speed chargers, you need another 15 amp circuit for it. you cannot run both off the same normal household plug. in my opinion the speed chargers are worth it, especially if you will be riding lot's. on the DS and DSR you can get the J1772 adapter tank which will allow level 2 charging. if you are able to plug in wherever you stop, you may be fine without either.

Q4- yes you can do this but like mentioned need a DC-AC power converter as well as all the other infrastructure to handle it. i know people have done this, but i don't have any info on it. go check @ electricmotorcycleforum.com. good amount of knowledge shared their.

don't know if you saw this or not but Michael @ On Any Moto has a 2016 DSR demo on sale for $12,000. that my friend is a steal....

laters,

laramie :beer
    voltsxamps likes this.
  4. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to follow up on this, it's only available for vehicles that are classified as Tier II Bin 1 (i.e. zero emissions) by the EPA, and the EPA doesn't classify any motorcycles this way. So it doesn't apply to Zeros or any other electric motorcycles.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  5. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    went to the 2015 AMA Supermoto championship track today on the Zero. steep learning curve to say the least. bike did great, track was longer and much faster than i anticipated. all the corners are a little goofy, but very racy. got 5 sessions on track with plug in after every one with my on-board and speed charger. left track with 15% batteries. did my best lap time when charge was at 30%.

session #1

laters,

6. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just completed a 420 mile day (edit: said 480 but my trip meter counted some LA riding the day before) on my DSR, riding from north LA to Oakland via 101 and then the PCH / Big Sur!

I've been practicing my touring skills with the bike and feel like more work is needed for this to be less of a stunt but it is going to change.

I had gone to LA to get a reverse gear mode wired up and programmed and check out some electric touring tech in development.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    best lap time from the other day (i got on film) - 1.10.57

dropped 10 sec total from start to finish of day. still way off the AMA Pro time of 0.58sec but not bad for my first day and stock street tires. i will say braking into turn one at the end of that straight definitely wakes you up the morning. :eekers

EDIT - turns out i found a faster lap when i looked at all my data. this app is free so it's a little delayed in the braking/accel colors. they need to be slid back a little. the speed markers are correct for the lowest/highest speed in the stretch. if you just slide the red/orange border back to the low speed line you will get a much better idea of actual accel/braking. must have done much better in the turns on this lap because my top speed on the straight was 4 mph slower than my fastest.

upload_2016-11-14_15-56-49.png

once again, more fun than i can explain, and no air filters to clean, no gas to buy, to oil to worry about, pistons, rings,.... none of that nonsense.

laters,

mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  8. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    No dirt section? :lol3
  9. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    it wasn't open, you can see it in the pic.

i don't have a chain so i can't really jump. if you leave the ground and land on-throttle it will damage the drive belt. first a few teeth, then a spin or just a snap. on road they are tough as nails but spining up that rear tire in the air, then hitting solid ground will eat any belt, esp @ 70ft/lbs torque.

laters,

10. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    getting faster....

[​IMG]

5 bikes on the track today. i wa faster than all of them on the straights when fully charged and cool. as the day progressed, it became more challenging...

3 of the 4 riders were serious races. 1 current AMA, and 1 former Expert Vet, the others were good friends of theirs and no slouches.

i was very happy with both the bike and my riding. got some process issues to work on to keep charging/cooling/racing cycles clean but will figure it out.

at this point i have to admit the ICE bikes still have an edge simly due to range. i tried to run with only 1 battery on the first practice session and it did fine in the turns but the straights i was dying.

laters,

voltsxamps likes this.
  11. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    video -

mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Looked like you found your groove after the 10 minute mark. Getting faster and better lines through the apexes. Thanks for sharing!