2017 1290SAR Won't Start Just Clicks

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Littlesammy78, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Littlesammy78

Littlesammy78 Mountain Carver

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all!

The bike: 2017 1290 SAR with 15k miles

I am having an issue where my SAR runs through the startup. I press the on button (lights come on, fuel pump starts up, Ready to Race screen starts, and display is working) and everything seems to work fine. As soon as I try to crank it, it tries to start and just clicks on each attempt (the bike does multiple attempts on its own with just one press of the starter button) and then goes back to the intro ready to race screen and then back to normal display like it restarted. I replaced the battery and it actually cranked up, so I let it run for a minute or so and shut it down. I came back out to go for a ride and it wouldn't crank and the symptoms were the same as it was before I replaced the battery. I am kind of bumfuzzled by this and after searching here, I haven't really found someone else with this same issue (probably due to me not searching very well, I'm sure). Any ideas on what is going on would be appreciated!

Things I have done to troubleshoot the issue:

-Replaced the battery
    -Checked battery wires (all okay)
    -Checked fuses (all okay)
    -Checked wire connection on the starter (all okay)
    -Changed oil (it needed it anyway and I know that probably has nothing to do with the problem but I figured I would list it here just in case)

As I said, any help would be appreciated. I am a daily rider and this has had me out of commission for the last two weeks. I would like to fix it myself if possible rather than take it to the dealer.

Thanks in advance!
  2. panfam007

panfam007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Voltage of battery when you can't crank?
  3. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    maybe you had an old battery and now you have an uncharged or bad battery?
  4. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the solenoid and fuses behind the R/H rear panel, remove and reseat the 4 pin plug that goes into the top, have been a few issues with that:

[​IMG]

This fukka
    jgreer and Lewilewi like this.
  5. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    After trying all the above, check your earths,

Use jump leads off your car, if it starts turn it off and start it again... keep cycling this procedure, it should start every time.

Report back

Its definitely battery related, just because you changed the battery I still would not rule it out imo
  6. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Sorry but I can offer no help to solving the issue with the bike. Just no experience with it.

And I am one that does everything within my skills at home (closest dealer is 4 hours away). And I only have about a 5 month riding season.

So for me, I would gladly spend a couple hundred bucks at a dealer to not lose 2 weeks of riding (and counting)

May be a good investment for you ??
    Can always make more money BUT the time is gone forever
  7. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    Also I'm wondering if your new battery is actually charging,

I remember some one one having regulator or rectifer issues or something, I'm not a electrical genius I'll admit that
  8. panfam007

panfam007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I once connected a new battery and it was draining like crazy. I realized I didn't tighten the bolt on battery appropriately.
    Doesn't take much on these hungry beasts.

The fact the the screen goes on is a good sign, and likely battery related.
  9. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    How much auxiliary gadgets have your wired in...disconnect them and try bike for correct starting operation
  10. Problem0

Problem0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remove the earth connection at the starter motor, clean the connections with a bit of sandpaper and reconnect. Sounds like you have a high resistance there.
  11. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On “normal” bikes, I’d just run battery power right to the starter off the starter side of the solonoid. This tests the wiring to the starter, the starter itself and it’s ground. That being said I’d be a bit afraid to over power some sub system on these bikes. I haven’t done much electrical on bikes over loaded with sensors.
    One possibility is the relay is not passing full current to the starter, assuming your battery is strong. Fully chargred and sitting overnight, you should see about 12.7 volts with a meter off your battery, and closer to 14 when it’s running...or at least higher than when it’s sitting. Right after charging your battery will read over 13 v and then bleed off excess charge over several hours. Btw, My 2018 sars meter reads about 0.2 volts too low, so it’s not very accurate, but it still can probably be used to check if you don’t have a meter.
  12. carlj75

carlj75 n00b

Oddometer:
    Probably unrelated, but check your fuel petcocks. Long story.....
  13. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    25769116-F157-498A-AA74-FB2ABAD40D65.jpeg a clicking sound may be a relay trying to open and close but not doing anything, likely the starter relay. The clicking would be it opening and closing, but not staying closed and sending the power to the starter. A cause of this could be different things. Bad relay or not correct power to the relay.

You could take off the seat and see if that is what is clicking.
    Wonder if the relay is a universal part that can be bought cheap from an auto parts store, but I’d check wiring secured, grounds and of course battery.
  14. Mark907

Mark907 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe you just need to get a proper charge in your new battery. Most new batteries will not come with a full charge.
    EkrebDK, Rips Millar and panfam007 like this.
  15. mr.steve

mr.steve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi,

maybe unrelated but partially those issues sound quite familiar - does ist coincidentaly:
    - shows red mtc error on bottom of display after first start attempt and rebooting the display or at any new starting procedure
    - maybe mentioning via yellow info bar that kickstand is down even it is up
    - show this behavior independently if gear is engaged or neutral
    - does this one-time-start after disconnecting the battery, watining for 15min and after that reconnecting battery again

regards
    steve
  16. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Hey Littlesammy!!!!

Any chance you would reply back to “your” thread and let us know if any of the suggestions helped.?
    Littlesammy78, jgreer, ls6777 and 2 others like this.
  17. Littlesammy78

Littlesammy78 Mountain Carver

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! Thank you for the responses and sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town dealing with a family thing.

I got to spend yesterday troubleshooting and it looks like saltbox's fix solved it.

Thanks again for the help!
    jgreer likes this.
  18. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:

Any chance you could tell my wife I was right about something:-)