2017 500 EXC-F and 350 EXC-F

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by noahr, May 17, 2016.

1. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    I’ll post up once I get back to civilization late Sunday or Monday. Riding and testing is hard work
    mokhtario likes this.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

That is exactly the gear set I would use for faster average speeds although I've never had the opportunity to ride Baja.
  3. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Baja Arizona as in "Lower Arizona" Most of my riding is south of the border in the Sierra Madre's . Remote
    double track , steep climbs , countless switchbacks and frequent water crossings . Kinda riding paradise .

[​IMG]

this day had a dozen 3,000' + climbs and descents .

Max
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    15x48=116 link
  5. motometal

motometal i like motorcycles

Oddometer:
    “Tar” irons, love it!
  6. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Yep thanks but the Super Sprox Kit I've got coming has a 120 that I'll cut to length .
    But since the stock chain is 116 links with a 14 x 45 , one would assume that with a 15 x 48 sprocket set
    you would need to go to at least 118 links to keep the whee base more in the stock range . I'm not really riding
    enough tight tec. single rack with this bike so a longer wheel base is preferable .

Max
  7. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Stock is, at least on my 18’500 is 114 link.
    lemanster and mokhtario like this.
  8. Gryphus1

Gryphus1 I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Back from 6 months in Baja. I would personally stick with the stock gearing if you have a tuner on your bike. These things will haul the mail down here, and still have the kahunas to crawl up the rocky switch backs.
    Oldebonz likes this.
  9. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 19 low hr (9hrs) 500 this past weekend...now I have a lot of reading to do to catch up on this thread. Can't wait to get it out on the trails!

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  10. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In time I may get over it, but I feel a little hate now!
  11. G00G90G54

G00G90G54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The forest roads are still flooded here from the hurricane but I had to hit the woods in the Ocala National Forrest in Central FL for some throttle time. ktm by flooded road.jpg
    keepshoveling likes this.
  12. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I've got a new never used rear spring for sale ( Flea Market ) 66 69 72 187 - 209 lb. Orange fits '17 '20 exc etc. Installed and decided it was to soft for the D.S. riding with gear I do . Good low price shipped .

Max
  13. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Well just to add insult to injury :jkam I've been working on a route that runs from the Az. border through the
    Sierras the Mexican states of Sonora , Chihuahua , Durango , Sinaloa , and Nayarit . Around 2,500 k's . I've
    ridden all but a couple of the section I've mapped and am gearing up to head out in October to ride the
    whole enchilada .
    Cross the bridge ride another 150 k's find gas !
    [​IMG]
    Hard to find Spanish speakers in this part of Copper Canyon.
    [​IMG]
    Check out the road cuts up and over this !
    [​IMG]
    Head South over and through everything you see before you and continue .
    [​IMG]

Max
    BDG, Ben500RR-S, scottydawg and 7 others like this.
  14. jm19328

jm19328 2018 KTM 500 Exc

Oddometer:
    Dam that a bit of wear, i checked mine it looks ok but def something to watch our for. For the guys that have some significant wear you could easily get the area built up with a few welds.

15. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would recommend not. Not sure what the requirements are for the bushing that goes in the hole but you’ll risk changing the shape and size of the hole with as think as the material is on the back side. Not significantly but it could be enough to throw it out for what’s needed to retain the bushing.
    Themastermike likes this.
  16. Gryphus1

Gryphus1 I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Up
    I want to check out Main Land Mex soon, maybe this winter or the next. The areas you've described sound pretty cool, have you ventured further south?

Thx
  17. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone put the Sicass key switch eliminator on a 19? How does it function if you don’t put their kill switch on?

I bought it off RM and the description didn’t mention needing Sicass’ kill switch to function properly on a 19.

I don’t really want to replace the stock one.
  18. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Once this "build-up" wears down, get a small piece of Delrin plastic. You'll need to glue the small piece of plastic to your heim joint. Nice thing is, is that Delrin is "self lubricating", so durability should be a long time. And if it needs replacing, just reglue another sacrificial plastic piece on.
  19. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't answer your question but I can offer an experience with the Sicass start/kill switch as installed on a 2018 350excf. It works as advertised. No argument. But the kill is a momentary push button switch. So if you want to kill the engine, with key on and use compression to slow a descent it ain't the switch for you. With the stock you can.
  20. BDMaha

BDMaha Mud loving street rider

Oddometer:
    Im adding an update about my 2018 KTM 500 exc. I have alsmost 7000 miles on it now. Valves still havent moved. I checked them when I first bought the bike new. 2 valves were a little on the tight side and 2 valves a little on the loose side. They have not moved!!! I have yet to adjust the valves. Change my oil after every weekend but do the filter every 1000 to 1500 miles. One 5 day ride I did 1400 miles on the same oil, lost none, when changing still had a golden color. Love the bike. I have the Lynx fairing which after 20 some crashes, still no scratches other than the lexan from branches. I have cruised for 300 miles at 75 to 85 with stock gearing, I have been over 100 also. It is, for me, the perfect adventure bike but I did want to report my maintenance and mileage for anyone who thinks these are not long distance machines. Gone through 2 chains and sliders, on my 5th set of tires and thats it.