2017 500 EXC-F and 350 EXC-F

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by noahr, May 17, 2016.

1. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    That's a great update. Chain and slider wear seems a little excessive. Any chance chain is is too tight? What brand?
  2. BDMaha

BDMaha Mud loving street rider

Oddometer:
    lots of mud earlier this year especially on East coast. One ride mud was so weird that it packed my sedona tire into a slick ball. Mud falling off everything. Most every other time its fast rocky trails. I waited too long to replace the slider and another stock chain got worn flat. That was my mistake. Either way I would be on my second chain and slider right now.
    renogeorge likes this.
  3. BDMaha

BDMaha Mud loving street rider

Oddometer:
    Oh and clutch dampers at 4000 miles. Probably because of the Recluse clutch or the fact that i have no crush hub on my street tires. im changing them every 4000. Lots of airfilters
    renogeorge likes this.
  4. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I don't do that much road on my 500. But that doesn't sound bad on the dampers. I replaced mine at 70 hours--probably 2000 miles. I wouldn't blame the Rekluse. But some guys will. I'm not a cush hub guy. But if I rode street like you do, I would be.
    tundradirtbiker likes this.
  5. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_8584.JPG
    IMG_8511.JPG
    IMG_8434.JPG
    Bhart89, Magile, Oldebonz and 4 others like this.
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got two wheel sets for my 350. One set has the stock TKC80's, other has full off-road knobs. I wanted to run a 52t off-road and 48t on-gravel. That four tooth diff is a no-go with one chain.

Through experimenting and buying sprockets that I can use - the chain adjuster only has enough adjustment for 3 teeth difference on the rear sprocket, even that is a stretch. Two teeth is more like it.

So, now I still have to swap the front sprocket to get reasonable road speed.
  7. rkdwp

rkdwp Axel Anderson Supporter

Oddometer:
    flip the rear axle blocks around - you should be able to make it work. I just swapped my gearing from 14/45 to 13/50 with the OEM chain.
    SoilSampleDave and keepshoveling like this.
  8. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:

Capture.JPG
    nzrian likes this.
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the three teeth is with the blocks flipped. To get your 5 teeth (minus one in front) you must have had a loose chain to start with.
  10. mokhtario

mokhtario dirt, sand & rocks

Oddometer:
    Good news adventurers!
    Checked valve @ 225 hours / 6,300miles on 2019 KTM 500 Six Days
    Exhaust: 0.14 so close to the minimum 0.12 since it tends to cook over time ✅
    Intake: 0.15 so exactly the max for that side which is good since valves normally wear into the seat which reduce the gap over time ✅
    A KTM tech shown me how to gently (very gently) push the cam chain adjuster to get one click while running the bike at idle.
    Spark plug was ok but i changed it. I barely touch the starter and the bike runs immediately. Good to go for another 200 hours
    I wonder why we even bother with the valves before 400 hours

NOTE: tip given by the tech...when the bike starts hard it might be the valves, check them. If the bike starts easy then dont bother with the valves! Also use KTM shims since they are known to be the best quality around even compare to Japanese bikes.
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Correct on the quality of the shims. I've seen the Hotrod shims pounded down and excessive clearance. A new shim of the same size fixes it.
    mokhtario likes this.
  12. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zuber: Thanks for the heads up. In fact I think I'll take a look at the hardness on my new aftermarket shims.
    However for other readers, I'd like to make a counter point. Not so much to debate the observation but shed light on another view.
    If the shim gets pounded out of dimension then why doesn't a harder shim damage the valve stem? I have see a valve stem get mushroomed. Why? Isn't the load expected? The failed valve stem however resulted not due to it being soft but due to excessive clearance. With excessive clearance there is an impact due to some parts being "up-to speed" yet other parts not so. Also with excessive clearance the moving components are also moving faster than they would have been when clearance should have been taken up (just due to correct cam profile). So there's a really not up to speed issue. When there's excessive clearance the noise is notable and when there's noise there's potential of damage.
    In your observation report "a new shim of the same size fixes" perhaps argues against my premise but other defects and conditions could have existed to make the fix a fix.
  13. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a great first outing on the 500 yesterday..love these bikes! I'll be installing the Gatos Bros submount soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
    keepshoveling, Fast1, Bhart89 and 2 others like this.
  14. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Cycra HCM gaurds fit like a glove on the 19 500EXC, the Acerbis CRM gaurds were way off and would have needed lots of tweaking to fit. Really like the quality, fit and finish of the HCM's. I threaded the end of the bars and installed BRP threaded inserts...should make for a tough combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
    Oldebonz and SoilSampleDave like this.
  15. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Cy
    Cycra or Acerbis?
  16. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Cycra....Doh!
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  17. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, 'pounded down' isn't quite right. The valve stem tip will wear into the shim and get more clearance. Probably more of a function that the valve train just doesn't wear on these bikes and the same shims are in there for a very, very long time. Also, this is only 1 or 2 thou clearance, so nothing is getting hammered.

I like the way KTM's run when the valves are on the loose side. I'm rarely looking for max power in the upper rpms. I like it to start easy, idle consistently and have clean smooth power in the lower half of the rpms. If I lived in the desert, that would be different, but western OR is all about tight trails and marginal traction.
    mokhtario likes this.
  18. King of Beers

King of Beers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ran 40+ miles in DeSoto National Forest yesterday. Lots of sand and roots. Rode with a guy on a freshly rebuilt KDX 220.
    20190921_120702.jpg

We swapped up bikes for a bit so I could get a feel for my childhood on that 2 stroke. Man was that thing a blast! It really did bring back some good memories.

My biggest takeaway from riding the KDX is that he is over there sitting on a couch while I'm on a 2x4.

So this morning I'm sitting at home on a soft couch perusing Seat Concepts website and I have some questions.

For the 19' 500EXC-F I'm looking at the;

-Comfort Seat
    -Comfort Tall Seat
    -XL Comfort Seat
    -XL Confort Tall Seat

Those of you that have these or have ridden bikes that have them what do you think? I know they (Seat Concepts) have a good rep here. I'm sure all of these seats are comfortable. I'm looking for comparisons.

I'm about 6' 160lb in the buff, so I'm fairly lean. I do ride in full gear and generally carry a 10-15lb backpack.

I like to stand and be able to throw the bike around beneath me. (I like to sit too...)

I'm kind of going back and forth between the standard Comfort Seat and going all in on the XL Tall.

I want all day comfort but not lose maneuverability. (I want it all)

I mean, the longer I can ride, the longer I'll be able to ride! Right?

I'm pretty beat after 40 miles...
  19. Oldebonz

Oldebonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love mine,very sturdy set up.
  20. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    You can’t go wrong with anything from seat concepts. They also have great resale value if you try the XL for example and decide to try the regular comfort seat. But remember, the ultra plush suspension of the kdx has something to do with it too.
    King of Beers likes this.