2017 500 EXC-F and 350 EXC-F

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by noahr, May 17, 2016.

1. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My STD height seat concepts comfort seat was without a doubt an improvement over the stock seat. No question about it. However it still gets to me after extended time on the seat, I’d try the XL but I don’t regret buying the regular.
    buzybraza, jams229 and King of Beers like this.
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I pulled the SC off of my 500 and went with a Fisher. I am very happy with it. Semi custom at about the same price as SC complete seat. I use the Enduro Engineering seat pan, which allows greater foam thickness without changing overall height. YAMV
    Fast1 and King of Beers like this.
  3. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    All the way South to the tip of South America .
    For the best info on riding in Mexico go over to the "Is Mexico Safe" thread in the Trip Planning forum here on
    ADVRider .

Max
  4. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    I changed my kill switch thinking it was bad.

It still doesn't shut off.

Any ideas? Me and electricity have an anxious relationship.

I suppose I could look for any frayed wires...
  5. yaw

yaw lost

Oddometer:
    I've been reading a lot of this thread. Would love some feedback. I owned a 10' 530 exc and loved it. I'm a mediocre older rider. Mostly ride less technical longer rides like the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route. Thinking of buying a newer 500. But I've been seeing A LOT of 2017' 350 exc's available for sale. Any reason to avoid the 2017' 350 exc? Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to flame!
  6. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    I went from a 2009 530 to a 2018 500exc.

It's def a smaller platform. Handling, I guess better, but with out riding back to back it's hard to quantify. imho the forks were better (for what I like to do) on the 530.

Power is a bit better on the newer bike. Not night and day just a bit quicker rev and picks up revs in sand etc quicker.

2017 350's twin cam engine has been around long enough and seems like a great engine. It's def not a slow bike. Maybe close to the same peak HP just much less in the low and mid ranges.
  7. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm an older rider as well (80). My 450 EXC-F is zippier and handles better in tight woods and is as light as the 350. It is easier to work on than the 350. It has more torque on the bottom than the 350. I think it is a superior choice over the 350 and it certainly makes life easier for older riders. My 500 EXC-F on the other hand is a better dual sport bike. If you just want to ride easier mountain trails, gravel roads and tarmac getting back and forth this is a better bike. It weighs slightly more than the 450 (2 lbs. ?) but it is less capable of zipping through tight trees than the 450. I think if you want to race the 450 is the go-to bike. If you want to dual sport then the 500 excels. I would suggest that if you get a newer 500 you look for a '17 ~ '19 since these have major improvements. You would also need to look at what has been done to the bike to prevent pop stalls, a major "go lean" condition on these bikes. For example, to eliminate this I went with the Euro off road map on my '17 450 (no longer available) and I went with a Voretx ECU on my '19 500. Both greatly enhanced smoothness, far fewer pop stalls, deceleration pops and mileage. Both bikes get between 45 and 60 MPG depending on conditions and riding characteristics.

Stu
    econwatch, keepshoveling and Oldebonz like this.
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Follow the ground wire back to wherever it is supposed to be grounded would be my first suggestion
  9. Oldebonz

Oldebonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree 100%
  10. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

I know that has a good connection when I put the new one on.
  11. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No flames. I don't know if I quality as an older rider but certainly an old man. I bought my first knobby tire motorcycle at age 62. Now 69 with a 690 and a 2018 350 EXCF. All I can say is the EXCF is a great bike to ride in my local Sierra National Forest.
    scottydawg and dogsslober like this.
  12. yaw

yaw lost

Oddometer:
    I think Stu confirmed exactly how I've been leaning. The 500 seems to me a bit better all around dual sport bike. Frustrating that there are so many 350's for sale and very few 500's. I'll keep searching. Thanks for the help!
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I have owned both and currently have a FE501S. The 501 is more fun on open trails, but the 350 is less tiring in tight stuff. The one that isn’t as obvious is that the 350 is better on the road, because it vibrates a lot less.
  14. bkoz

bkoz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will probably find the wire to the ecm is broken in the harness right at the headstock. I recommend cutting 4" to 6" out and splicing in a slightly longer piece of wire to prevent pulling when the handlebars are turned all the way. KTM really has some QC issues with the wiring harness on the '17 to '19 bikes. Rumor has it the '20 bikes have a better harness.
  15. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

Awesome, I will check that out.

Thanks.

This shit job of wiring is why I will likely start out with an XCF on my next bike.
  16. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you put a micrometer to them to see what difference from stamped was after they were pounded out?
  17. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would take a special mike to measure it. You could see the tip of the valve imprinted in the center of the shim. Typically, it was about two thou deep. This usually happened on a 500exc with alot of trail miles.
  18. tokyoDirk

tokyoDirk n00b

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 2018 exc 500 barely used.
    Heading out on the TAT (west to east) this week.

Really loving this bike so far. Hoping it treats me well on the long haul.
    IMG_20190928_125418.jpg

IMG_20190930_160944.jpg

Attached Files:

19. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking of getting rid of my Motominded Rally Tower and replacing it with their XL80 kit.
    22ED2B7E-5C00-4F28-9688-592391176167.jpeg

My question is, who’s using the XL 80 and the dash kit offered by Motominded and how do you like it?
  20. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be safe and it might get a little cold this week.