2017 500 EXC-F and 350 EXC-F

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by noahr, May 17, 2016.

1. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dumb question - does anybody have the full parts list for the in-tank fuel pump / filter, and the associated external fuel disconnect piece? I just got an Acerbis large tank for my '17 500 and I was considering fitting it with the fuel pump & disconnect so I have a 2nd separate tank ready to go for DS / SuMo / long distance rides, and keep my stocker for tooling around the dirt bike park. I already swap the Renazco seat in and out for dirt bike park rides and was thinking of doing the same w/ the large vs. small fuel tanks. Anybody else doing this kind of thing?
  2. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    (replaces part #
    78107088100)

Fuel pump

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/4

https://www.ktm-parts.com/OEMFINDER...628112ecd2/500_EXC-F_CHASSIS_-_2017_Fuel_Pump
    mokhtario and brianpc like this.
  3. brianpc

Oddometer:
  4. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:

No, this is for the entire fuel pump assembly. Just the fuel pump itself alone is over $100.00. You can shop around for the fuel pump and filters by themselves but not the entire unit. It would be nice though to have an extra tank with fuel pump ready to go. Here are 2 videos to help you decide and get started, different model bike but same procedure.

mokhtario, Fast1 and brianpc like this.
  5. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had two complete fuel tank assemblies on my 2012 500exc. It was very expensive for the pump assembly, like $175 or so. No other source for it.
    It never really paid off. I rarely swapped out the tank. Large chance of ruining the pump while it's sitting around with no fuel covering the pump.
    Now for my 350exc, I just got the 3 gallon tank that is not noticeable over the stock 2.2.

You don't need to buy new parts for the banjo bolt/fuel pump mount, if you have access to a lathe. Only need to shorten the bolt's length a little and chamfer the end for the o-ring. Then you can run the stock right angle tap.
  6. brianpc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. Maybe better to just run the big tank and not fill it completely on short/local OHV park rides.
  7. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Posted query Thread in Garage forum and quickly got logical explanation. I had installed larger rear sprocket on my 500 (48T vs OEM 45) which lowers chain path leading to more rubbing/wear until new chain path is worn in. (690 had OEM rear sprocket so not similarly affected).
    My Acerbis replacement guide has 2 rear mounting holes to accommodate differences in rear sprocket size.
  8. BT4Stroke

BT4Stroke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motominded XL80 Kit works great I have installed it on my 18 500 and on 2 19 500’s everyone seems to like it’s output a lot, I’ve tested it in Baja great light output, good for 80mph. And if you want to add the KTM 690 enduro windscreen it works well too!
    dino702 likes this.
  9. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you get the new tank if it is an ACERBIS it will come with what looks like sheet metal screws to attach the back of the fuel pump. Be very careful to NOT apply TOO MUCH FORCE on these 4 screws as they can strip the plastic fuel tank. This video shows you how.

mokhtario and brianpc like this.
  10. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I can also tell you that if one of those holes is stripped out (as it was with a used tank I purchased) a short lag bolt from the hardware store will work perfectly in the stripped out hole. I can’t remember off the top of my head if it was 1/4” or 3/16” diameter, but it will be completely obvious when you look at it which one is correct. The sizing is PERFECT.

Edit: I wish there was an equivalent fix for the shroud screws on the Husky tanks. No more Acerbis for me.
    DIRTLER likes this.
  11. Hertz13

Hertz13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So this came today, going to give it a shot, it will be my first time ever even trying an auto clutch.

Do I actually need the special tool to hold the clutch basket while torquing the big center nut? Or can I put the bike in gear and hold the back tire or keep the clutch from spinning some other way?

6F4FF7B0-8B0F-4EF5-A946-00836453AAAF.jpeg
  12. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I have the same one sitting on the shelf came with the bike I bought but haven’t done the install yet. Let us know how it goes.

yes you can install without the special tool.
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Some lazy people like me just give the center nut a quick tap or two with the impact wrench and call it a day. The bent washer will keep it from loosening.
  14. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, and a little blue loctite doesn't hurt.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  15. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    And wash/rinse out the Acerbis tank numerous times to remove plastic dust, shavings and residue. Failing to do so will allow plastic dust to pass through the fuel filter and clog your fuel injector in very short order.
    Fast1 likes this.
  16. bkoz

bkoz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your fuel filter is a finer micron rating than the injector nozzle. The worst thing that will happen is you will clog your filter.
    Oldebonz likes this.
  17. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the IMS tank's better. Brass inserts for all the bolt, no wood screws and often fits better. But, about $100 more.
  18. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    I don't think so when it comes to the fine dust inside a new Acerbis tank. I learned the hard way. I failed to wash and rinse the tank when new prior to installing.

The bike ran great for 2 years with the factory tank. Within 3 days of installing the Acerbis tank, the injector was clogged. Back flushing the injector with the fuel pump wouldn't clear the mess. Sent the injector to a shop for cleaning, they got the white powdery mess out of the injector.
  19. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    IMO The only thing the IMS has over the Acerbis is the threaded inserts.

The fit and finish are nicer on the Acerbis. The exterior of the tank finish/tooling mold finish is smoother which makes getting it clean much easier. The dirt sticks to the rough surface of the IMS. Neither tank fits the plastic that well.

Even after the dealer stripped one of the fuel pump mount holes in the Acerbis, I've never had any leaking or problems. I only run my IMS 4.0 in the fall. The rest of the season is with the smaller Acerbis 3.0.

I guess I got lucky as I did not flush either tank before the first use. I do change my inline OEM fuel filter every 2nd or 3rd oil flush.
    Hertz13, empedrado and keepshoveling like this.
  20. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a great local ride on the 500...spark arrestor required :-). Love this bike!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy