2017 Beta 125 RR-S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bowhunter, Jul 10, 2016.

1. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect any major brand would work fine, except maybe the brand that's on there now! It did pop master link. How often does that happen? (Maybe more often than I think.)
  2. _CJ

_CJ Conservative Conservationist

Oddometer:
    A friend told me that the retainers can get worn/thinned, from passing through the chain guide, and then fail. Common enough that virtually everyone I know carries a spare link, although I've never seen it happen in person before this. For some reason, I thought I had a spare in my tool kit, but I was obviously thinking of my old bike.

3. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where to get a fork cap wrench for the 125 RR-S? Measuring it appears to be a 32.5mm 6 point, I'm not sure if that's common with anything else here in the US. xtrainer has 41mm forks too iv read but from what I can tell that uses a 46mm cap wrench.

note: Forks are Olle r16v 41mm
  4. _CJ

Oddometer:
    xtrainer forks are 43mm. There were reports early on that they used the same forks, but not even close as it turns out.

As for the wrench, I'd just use a large adjustable.

spova likes this.
  5. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading the instructions for the factory lowering kit it called for a 32mm wrench (I guess the tolerances for wrench are much more than I expected) So I tried a 32mm axle wrench I have and it looks like its going to do the trick for getting the caps off.
    UtahGuido likes this.
  6. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    I went out on mine today, just a short ride through the 'hood. I jumped it over a dirt berm, rode along a deer fence along the interstate, through bushes and weeds and down a grassy slope, and up a steep doubletrack where I always hope I don't encounter hikers as I would have some 'splainin' to do, though there are no motors verbotten signs on that trail. I do enjoy puttering around on this thing.
    Yeti2ride, spova and _CJ like this.
  7. _CJ

Oddometer:
    Chain update:

I finally got myself a new chain. A JT 428HDR non o-ring, 140 links (JT makes the sprockets for Beta as far as I can tell). 140 links is the stock length for the Beta 125, but I'll be cutting it down to 138 to work with the 61 tooth rear cog I installed. Planning to carry the old chain in my new saddlebags with a couple of master links in case of failure. Everything I've read indicates a max stretch of .006 per link. With the two chains laid side by side, the old one is .525 longer at the 138 link length. .006 per link x 138 links would be .828, so it probably has some life in it, but I don't see a need to push it given the ~$30 cost of a new chain. For reference, I'm just short of 4,000 miles on the bike. There's no spec on mileage for chain replacement, but with how I ride, and the rate of stretch, 6,000 miles is probably close the outside limit.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/chain/

O-ring and X-ring chains appear to be wider, and the guide clearances already looked fairly tight, so I'm sticking with the non O-ring. Also makes it easily interchanged with the old junk I'm pulling off if needed.

spova and Yeti2ride like this.
  8. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, CJ. We ought to have an index for your posts, for reference.

The little doodle-sport is gonna make it out this weekend, down to Pine Lake, north of Bryce Canyon. I'm hoping to ride over to Casto Canyon, which is about 30 miles to the west via back roads.
    Yeti2ride and _CJ like this.
  9. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow a whole spare chain sounds like a lot of extra weight to carry. I am converting an SM to Enduro and got a pair of SRT O ring chains to hook together for length. Ill post here if the Oring chains end up not clearing.
  10. _CJ

Oddometer:
    I had some other people say the same thing, and advise carrying a chain breaker and a few extra links, so I scaled the complete chain vs. chainbreaker etc. and the difference was two pounds. Not enough to sweat, and it's a whole lot easier and faster to swap a complete chain than dink around trying to repair one. I also have a ton of space to carry one now with the new saddle bags. I suppose two pounds would be a concern for a backpack, but I don't wear one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spova and Yeti2ride like this.
  11. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Where are your blinkers? Have you removed them?

I've still got my stock blinkers and predictably one of them broke off during this weekends ride. So I did a campground repair where I took off the other blinker, taped the stalks together with many wraps of electrician's tape, and fixed them back onto the fender with a rubber coated twisty. I only had an orange one. I kind of like it but eventually I'm going to lose the fender extension.
  12. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Said blinker fix:

IMG_20200719_142638607.jpg

Edit - yeah, the plate is expired. Oops.
    Yeti2ride, spova and _CJ like this.
  13. _CJ

Oddometer:
    Not required in Colorado. The rears kept getting smacked around and twisted, and looked kind of stupid imho, so I just removed them. I might get some of the small ones that mount flush on the fender, but it's not high on my list of priorities right now.

14. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any by chance has a 125 RR-S seat for their RR-S 125 for sale? Can be ripped, just really want to base to build a tall seat from so we can swap seats (sucks having a girl who's 10" shorter!!!)

Ordering the 150 yamaha kit and stage 2 cam today too :-)
    _CJ, Yeti2ride and jimroid like this.
  15. Yeti2ride

Yeti2ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Have an extra seat. The one on the bike is slightly lower / stiffer and keyless removal. The dealer i bought it from sent the factory seat as well. Practically brand new wrapped in plastic.
    _CJ likes this.
  16. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW, anyone have any advice on stuff to check out or improve once I have the top end/engine taken apart? I have to rent some garage/bench space here in the city, so best to do everything at once while I can. Will order some jets as well on top of the typical plug, oil, collant replacements. Bike only has 900 miles, but i've beat the snot out of on the cart tracks ;-)

Also looking for some better bar clamps and hopefully a better bar. The factory ones are slipping when i put my weight on them; like they're not grabbing the bar well.
  17. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    You can get a keyless seat for these things? Hmm. I wouldn't mind getting one done up that was slightly wider.

Last weekend's ride took in about 60 miles of mixed slab and dirt and some easy double track jeep trail at 10,000 ft. Rode into Bryce National Park (where I bought an Old Man Lifetime Pass), over to Tropic Reservoir, and up to Powell Point. Bike handles everything just fine. Saw 63 mph on one section of slab, this with the 13T drive sprocket. I was stretching the throttle cable on that one and was probably going downhill.

Obligatory picture coming back from Powell Point. This is the 10K ft area:

Beta at Powell Point.jpg
    _CJ, Navin and Yeti2ride like this.
  18. Yeti2ride

Yeti2ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can get a keyless seat for these things? Hmm. I wouldn't mind getting one done up that was slightly wider.

Its definitely not wider, is thinner, harder and about 3/4" lower than the stock seat. I was gonna see about putting on the stock seat ( for comfort ) with lock but it's missing some / or added hardware for the keyless. Need to look in manual and identify what I need or what was removed ???
  19. _CJ

Oddometer:
    The 125 RR-S in it's natural habitat. Very nice.

20. _CJ

Oddometer:
    The only thing I can think of is maybe radiusing the exhaust/header pipe where it attaches to the head. Seems like there was a bit of a mismatch there, or maybe it was just boogered up weld. Either way, I do remember touching it up a bit.