2017 Beta 125 RR-S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bowhunter, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont recall seeing this here and Ive no idea if the USA CDI is in restricted Euro format but worth exploring.

Bitingdog likes this.
  2. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Um, anyone with a bitte of Deutsche that can translate this a bit? I'm guessing he's cutting a restriction wire of sorts? Maybe for RPMs?

I was about to comment on the lack of protective shrink tuning on his wiring job, then i say the zip tie and giant waterproof condom that rolled over the harness. Good job Fritz!

Still think he should shrink wrap the ends of the cut wire, or RTV sealant. :D
  3. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

I know its a common thing on the euro 50cc bikes, same CDI body by the looks of it. They pop a connector inline to reattach for inspections. Im guessing on the 50 it at least ups the rev limiter/top speed a bit.
  4. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of the numbers on my US bike CDI are the same and some are different. Google translate of the video description says its raises the RPM limit by 500 and adds up to .65PS and .8Nm and allows a top speed increase of up to 20km/h.

This video is doing something similar
    But again his CDI does not match the numbers on mine exactly.
    20200802_005535.jpg
  5. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess it would be handy to have a few more rpms up top but what we really need is a little more oomph on the bottom. Which wire would that be? The red one?
    Chillis likes this.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not saying it will, bit it might open the door to let you run another tooth or more on the rear and stay at the same top or cruise speed.
  7. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've dropped a tooth in the front and my top speed dropped about 5 mph to around 60 mph, unless there's a hill involved. That's fast enough for most two lanes. Nevertheless if there are no adverse consequences I could see doing the clip.

As for bottom end I suspect there's no fix for that outside a big bore kit - except maybe a smaller carburetor. But that's getting further down the rabbit hole than I see myself going. Damn, looks like I need to get myself a GPX. :D Actually one of these days I'm going to visit the distributor down in Orem, or Provo, or wherever it is down there in Happy Valley (aka Utah Valley) and snoop at the product line.

But I dig the little Beta and don't see it getting replaced in my lifetime. A big bore kit? Yes, probably.
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  8. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that one McGrubber :lol3
    UtahGuido likes this.
  9. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The owners manual for both the 17 and 20 say 6.2l(1.6gl) tank. Has anyone check what size it really is? I know there are other inaccuracies in the manual like brake rotor size on the SM. 98miles to res on a 6.2l tank with 1.7l of reserve like the manual says would be really good MPGs but not actually that much better than the 98 you are already getting.
  10. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in buying a 125 RR-S but they seem pretty scarce. Does anybody know where I can find one or what dealers may have one in stock? I live in New Hampshire and will probably have to have it shipped unless theres one in New York or New England. Thanks in advance.
  11. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would check CycleTrader.com, seems that a few obscure dealerships don't know how to market/sell these bikes, and often have them up there on clearance.
  12. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a 2017-19 Supermoto version that can take a pict for me? Need to see what the spacers in the front wheel look like from the factory, so a close up would be appreciated.

I have a 2018 125 RR-S supermoto, but we switched the front wheel to dirt, and now I'm not sure which spacers should go in there (dirt wheels are different). Should have kept them separate, but you know how those things go....

Factory parts manual just has part numbers, no dimensions. Trying to order a complete back up set as well, but that'll take weeks (If I'm lucky) to get in.
  13. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20200810_100529.jpg 20200810_100537.jpg 20200810_100557.jpg 20200810_100549.jpg
    Ill probably be taking them off this week or next to put on the enduro wheels so if these pics dont help let me know and I can measure the spacers when I do the swap. This is a 2018 SM as well.
  14. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks a million; exactly what I was looking for.

Did you get new spacers from Beta for the dirt wheels? According to the parts page, the spacers are different. Same size/part number on both sides, but no idea on the size. I just winged it with extra spacers, but dont think i got it right (brakes were pulsing).
  15. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, full set of spacers for each wheel set. None of them are common between the Motard and Enduro wheels.
  16. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW, is it possible if you could measure the length of the front and rear dirt wheel spacers? I have a feeling that I'm not going to hear back from any Beta parts sources any time soon :-(
  17. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are with some crappy old harbor freight calipers so not super accurate probably but should be close enough to distinguish them from each other. Measurements are ish. I also noticed that beta part numbers in the parts catalog are formatted different then on the original bags they came in but the numbers them selves are the same.
    Motard: FL 021.41.003.00.00=3.1mm FR 021.41.004.00.00=27mm RL&RR 021.42.011.00.00=12mm
    Enduro: FL&FR 13.85737.000=25mm RL 021.42.004.00.00=33.4 RR 021.42.002.00.00=21.5mm
  18. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:

That is awesome, thanks a million. Still haven't heard back from three sources that I contacted for Beta parts, so its looking like making them is my only hope now.

I also don't really trust Beta parts in the US much. I've ordered maybe 12 or so items, of which about 30% were wrong, and others (like the front hub) took well over 4-5 months to get in. And wrong as in the part number on the bag was correct, but the part looked nothing like the one in the schematic. I've also been trying to order rear rotor and sprocket bolts; online part numbers don't seem to match anything that a parts supplier has on their file. So they ordered from their schematic, and of course, its the wrong part!
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Call Warp 9 and they can spin up a set of spacers. Prob have rotor bolts too but they should be very easy to source.
  20. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea, will do.

The rear rotor bolts are a little special, for they have to be seated in the rotor so that they don't hit. I tried a standard set of rotor bolts, but the heads of the bolts were too close something (I think the swing arm or maybe the caliper mount.)

BTW: anyone ever try to match up the front caliper with something else? Wish I had a few Brembo units to try out, even a good OEM Brembo off a KTM should be a nice improvement.