2017 dEATh vALLey NOoBS rALLy March 30 -April 2

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Oct 17, 2016.

1. RuckusRider2

RuckusRider2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm IN, after such a great time last year as a total Noob!
    NSFW likes this.
  2. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mega In, Hope to actually make it this year!
    NSFW likes this.
  3. brasters

brasters Just Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    In....

Brasters - Bob - MC4+ - D3 - 14C
    NSFW likes this.
  4. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In RV with the normal toys In tow!!Yes
    1224R and NSFW like this.
  5. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    The Guide to Be
    ing Self-Sufficient for the NOOB's Ride Starts Here

I have had the privilege, yes, privilege, to go out and hunt people down who have become...misguided while riding in the vast area that is Pamamint Springs/Death Valley...and beyond. This can be an injury, a mechanical issue, or just someone who missed a turn and fell off the back of the pack. This post will be dedicated to helping all of us be better prepared for a great time riding the NOOB ride. I will start populating it with tips and tricks I have learned from my own days as a NOOB, those I learned from others who have been riding a long time, and from my own experiences. I am not even close to being an expert and I welcome input for this area. Please feel free to send me a PM for suggestions to add here (this may reaaaallly backfire, but what the hell).

What to Pack All the crap we need to put in backpacks, tank bags, panniers,tool rolls, and pockets.

I'll star this with a link to the tool thread. This has a lot of information, maybe too much, but you can pick and choose what works for you and what makes sense. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-toolkit-thread.262998/

Something to consider if you ride with the same people all of the time: share some of the bulkier tools. I carry a compact hand tire pump. My riding buddy for almost all of these rides, airborndad, carries a compact electric tire pump. He doesn't mind sharing (well, he doesn't complain loudly about sharing) and if his pump bites the dust, we have mine.

I will add, specifically, CARRY AT LEAST THE TOOLS NECESSARY TO CHANGE A TUBE. This is the most common issue out on the trails in DV. There always seems to be a rock, or 10,000, that threaten to deliver pinch flats. In addition to the tube and levers, it's a good idea to keep a patch kit in your bag, just in case of multiple issues.

Note: Some people choose to carry one tube instead of two. This minimalist approach is to just carry a front tube. This tube can be used in the rear in a pinch and get you back to camp. The only problem is that you will need to swap it again when you get back because it's not advisable to run this way for extended periods.

What to Avoid Cacti, nasty rocks, rain ruts, skunks, and questionable drunk people at the hot springs

Rocks: challenging, and sometimes fun, but they do not play will with tires and wheels when combined with speed. Keep an eye on the terrain to help prevent pinch flats and bent rims.

Don't ride over your head. "Yeah, Right!!! I've never been to DV, how do I know?" Well, the answer is to keep up with this thread and start watching for rides. Every ride guide will give a description for difficulty, length, fuel needs..etc. I ride a lot with airborndad. We always lead/sweep at least one easy ride (last year it was three) each year. We both enjoy giving others the opportunity to enjoy the scenery while becoming more confident with their skills.

How to get help Spot...Spot..Spot...oh, and also make sure someone knows where you went

Seriously, consider investing in a Spot device. They are not that expensive, they allow your family and friends to track your location, and they have a 911 function that will get you serious help if needed. Oh, yeah, because they use a satellite signal they actually work in Panamint Valley, unlike your cell phone. Yeah, seriously, your cell phone WILL NOT WORK IN PANAMINT VALLEY.

For the absolute minimum, please consider the following: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=88645596

This is the bare minimum. Things to add:
    Space blanket
    Windproof matches

Don't ride alone. There are a lot of people who ride by themselves. This is fine if you are have good skills (planning, riding, mechanical). If you are a true NOOB, please hook up with at least one other person.

Find a Ride:
    Pretty soon, there will be a "ride list" posted somewhere. This list will show "guided" rides led by riders who have ridden in the area before. The best part of the list is it will include everything from super easy, to all-day slogs that will leave you wiped out. Remember the above item Don't Ride Over Your Head when signing up.

Practice
    Even if it is riding circles in your driveway, practice before you show up. If you are a true noob, learning balance, shifting, proper body positioning...etc on the street will help loads in the dirt. One thing I see is people trying to get used to riding, or riding a new bike, with no experience. Trying to learn to ride AND ride in the dirt at the same time is a bit of a challenge.

Also, don't just practice riding, practice trail-side maintenance. The number one breakdown will be flat tires. Posts #574, #575, and #576 have a couple of great tips so I won't just copy them here.

Ride with Jimmy
    In addition to practicing, for those of you who really want to improve your skills, ride with Jimmy Lewis. He always offers a class before noobs but you can always head out to his place in Pahrump and take one of his classes. This is the one thing I have not done yet that it is on my wish list. Every single person I have met who took the class raves about how much it improved their skills. This is coming from veterans as well as noobs. For the Noobs class, keep an eye here, Joel will let everyone know when it will be setup.
  6. mramosc

mramosc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IN!!!

mars77 - Mario - BT3 - D0 - KTM500EXC - #49
    mramosc - Marcelo - CP3 - D0 - KTM350EXCF - #49
    okeanos - David- CP3 - D0 - KTM500EXC - #49
    NSFW likes this.
  7. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    Put me, Dirtmech, Don, chuck, Dick and son, Ken, Taylor and wife, Rob and one more......I'll update with codes later.
    Blaise W and NSFW like this.
  8. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joel has driven the code mindset into everyone for so long it's hard break old habits.

Whole new system coming this year!
    NSFW likes this.
  9. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, realized it after I re-read post #1 last night. Old habits die hard. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. Too old to rock 'n' roll: Too young to die...
    NSFW likes this.
  10. Spank

Spank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In.
    NSFW likes this.
  11. Pointman0853

Pointman0853 Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer:
    OK here ya go..

1. Pointman - George - BT3 - D3 - KTM 690 Quest - GCG
    2. Carson Motorsports - Kevin - BT3 - D3 - KTM 500EXC
    Group Camp/CMS Area, pleeze..

Pointman
    NSFW likes this.
  12. soarseeker

soarseeker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In
    NSFW likes this.
  13. PNWcrazymike

PNWcrazymike 3 √ 74

Oddometer:
    Bend, Oregon (in the sunny half of the state)
    IN! I just wish you would take my money without all the nerdy code fodder. A car with a small motorcycle trailer shouldn't be that complicated.
    WhereTheHellIsJames? and NSFW like this.
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3

sorry all you PPs. i know you love the codes, but that was a serious pita teaching each one of you how to use it. eventually after we all mastered them, now we go digital. the pahrump rally registration was a breeze except for those who want to pay cash. really, there are PPs walking around with cash in their pockets...:D
    Zen Slug and PNWcrazymike like this.
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    yes folks, if you want to get the full effect of DV exploration, this is a great prelude to the noobs rally. matt is one of the best guides in and out of DV.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  16. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    'snot me!
    (Dammit!)
  17. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios...

Oddometer:
    They must not own motorcycles.
    lubelhu, airborndad, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  18. pjh66

pjh66 lost in the sauce Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN!
    NSFW likes this.
  19. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry so late to the party, I'm in.
    NSFW likes this.
  20. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    In Amsterdam planning tomorrows day, including Red Light District, but instead, saying IN to Noobs 2017.
    You are what you are!!

Joel this is like Christmas, getting earlier every year, maybe do 2-3 years sign ups at once, leave maybe 20 spots open for new Noobs.!! :-)

hh
    wwm
    NSFW likes this.