2017 dEATh vALLey NOoBS rALLy March 30 -April 2

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Izzy_C

Izzy_C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike is carbureted, should I get one of those easy mixture screws? Right now it is setup for sea level (SF), can I get away with not tinkering with the black magic that is a carburetor? :D
  2. lubelhu

lubelhu Forever n00b

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately Joel, I don't think I can go this year. It is a few days too early and the risk of having snow is a little too high. And there is someone at home who thinks that being absent for three weeks is two weeks too many.

Hope you all have a good time.

Sorry Geoff, you will have to find another helper.

Luc

Attached Files:

GSequoia likes this.
  3. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

What bike are we talking about?
  4. RED05

RED05 @motomedic_rob

Oddometer:
    IMG_4629.JPG
    Found some sweet single track up the back side of Cerro Gordo to the peak - last week.
    IMG_4801.JPG
    Allan and I did a Ridge ride on top of South Park over looking Stripped Butte. It was amazing up there - maybe the best views I've seen in 5 years of riding there.
    IMG_4794.JPG
    Again this was just last week.
    IMG_4640.JPG
    NSFW, MtnRubi, heirhead and 3 others like this.
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    stop by and say hello. or you could also camp with us, sorry the hotel rooms are all taken. sign in once the electronic registration is up.

love to hear another noob joining the fun. you'll have a blast.

:rofl

you're lucky you got spared by the codes!

hi luc, that was nice seeing you on the S10 in saline valley. knew you had a great time and spent time with several peeps with questionable characters...:lol3

you know that young elija from san diego is now in central america, on his way to columbia.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...s-pahrump-rally.1157780/page-55#post-30654853
    lubelhu likes this.
  6. RED05

RED05 @motomedic_rob

Oddometer:
    IMG_4761.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG
    IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG
    KLRalph, advFord, heirhead and 2 others like this.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    damn.....some of the best pictures of death valley. thanks for getting the attention of all the fence sitters.

hi rob, good to see you''re hooked to dv. there's no cure for it.

hope you can make it to the noobs.

cheers.
    advFord and airborndad like this.
  8. Izzy_C

Izzy_C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @spafxer My '10 KLX250S.

I did a bit of research and it seems like I should be fine. On the way to DV, if I ride alone, I will go 120 to Mono and 395 down to DV. Elevation will hit 8k ft or so. I imagine the bike will be a little rich without any adjustments to the carb, but from there it is downhill to DV, which is 2k ft it seems, where the difference shouldn't matter at all.

I never even thought about it, but I'm kinda worried about riding through Yosemite in March... won't the roads be icy and stuff?
  9. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will more than likely be Closed - 99.9999% chance
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm
  10. Izzy_C

Izzy_C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @airborndad Shoot.

Okay, looks like I'm cruising down boring old 5 :(
  11. Heakle

Heakle Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Way to go Will !!

Henry is in too !
  12. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Izzy3
    Nah, if you can stretch it into 2 days. take 25 out of Hollister to Peachtree to Indian Valley. Stay in either Paso Robles or Bakersfield. Work your way East past Bakersfield to 58 to Caliente Bodfish Rd to 395 to Panamint.
    Also, keep an eye on this thread. There is a good chance you could share a trailer from the Bay area.
  13. Izzy_C

Izzy_C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @dravnx Is taking the ride in 2 days more of a safety thing or just a way to make the ride more fun?

Yeah, throwing my bike on a trailer would be great too!

SFMCjohn said he may be camping in Carrizo Plains and Comanche Point Road on his way down there. I'd love to join him, I can take an extra few days off no problem.
  14. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both, it's a pretty big day for a smallish bike. That route is a big day for any bike. Lots of twisties. It's close to 600 miles.
  15. Izzy_C

Izzy_C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you're right. Although going via 5 it's closer to 470 miles, I imagine the bike wouldn't mind sitting at 55 behind a truck (at a safe distance of course) for the long haul.

Anyways, camping my way down there seems like what I'll end up doing.
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Izzy,the last couple of years I've tried to act a clearinghouse of info about riders from the Bay Area heading to the rally. I expect I'll do the same this year. Most of the Sierra passes are closed in March, but two years ago I did Hwy 88 to 395 and last year did Hwy 155 to Hwy 178 to 395.

A 250 is a little small for that long a trip, but great for DV. You just have to be patient, take your time, and stay off of I-5. Biggest problem on a small bike is WIND. You'll get tossed around a lot more than the heavier bikes.
    I'll keep in touch as the rally gets closer. Likely find someone else who wants to ride down with you. Several routes to take staying off of the big roads. Hwy 25 is normally a beautiful ride that time of year.
    Feel free to PM me.

- Marty
  17. Izzy_C

Izzy_C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Motopsychoman Yeah, I've been pushed around before on Hwy 1 and it was pretty uncomfortable. Even cruising down the Great Hwy in SF can get interesting at times.

That is the plan. Take a little bit of a slower pace, ride with folks, camp on the way down. It'll make finally getting to DV all that much more of an achievement :)

I'd love to ride the Sierra passes if they are open...
    NSFW likes this.
  18. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you manning up and riding what you have!
    My dad still talks about the time back in '66 when he rode his Yamaha 80 from Lewiston to Boise and back with a friend. Almost 600 miles round trip. He blew a piston along the way but claims that was his fault.
    He never talks about the trips on big cruiser Suzuki.

Dance with the one that brung ya!

I'll be wrestlin' with the 1150gs all over DV, but that's what I have so that's what I'll ride. It's all good.
    airborndad, NSFW and Izzy_C like this.
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    btw... isn't it almost March yet? I really want to get this trip started.
    lubelhu and Sfcootz like this.
  20. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding down 395 and over Tehachapi are usually the worst stretches for wind. Last year riding in on 395 was really bad even on my 650.
    Panamint Springs and DV can get real nasty. Most people have to tie their tents to the few trees or some big rocks. You may need to tie you bike to a rock. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    jawshoowa and NSFW like this.