2017 Ducati Multistrada 950

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Mobiker, Nov 7, 2016.

1. xcsp

xcsp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like Yamaha, Ducati will most likely go a few years before adding the cruise control or other changes so they can say it's "new & improved".
  2. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    This is interesting!
  3. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure many already are, but, you might as well start pestering them now in hopes you'll have it in 3 years. Then again, maybe it's coming as an accessory but hasn't been announced yet.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
  4. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Nobody noticed this picture yet? ;)

[​IMG]
    Falp and offtheback like this.
  5. Paolino

Paolino n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rauchman, Falp and kltk1 like this.
  6. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    That's for the 950? Not the Enduro 1200?
  7. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Its the 950 in the Enduro Pro configuration.

Its a special package you can buy for your Multi 950. Pretty cool eh?
    Falp and kltk1 like this.
  8. FishrCutB8

FishrCutB8 Toughen up | Don't be stupid

Oddometer:
    The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
    Please. We absolutely MUST call this a Ministrada.
    JaySwear and Tim_Tom like this.
  9. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    i'm a Ducati/Multistrada nut.....but this is a bike that i both get, and don't get.
  10. gbravo

gbravo German

Oddometer:
    Here you can see the MS950 with Enduro pro configuration ...

Since KTM have finishied the production of a bike with spoked wells and seat height acceptable, this is a good option.
  11. Madscientist

Madscientist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get that it is a more affordable, slightly lighter option of an attractive bike. I would never buy the 1200 just because of the price whereas the 950 with enduro option seems almost within reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Falp likes this.
  12. Kalk

Kalk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 1200 MTS is amoung the most powerful adv bikes and in eduro form a genuine off road capable machine.

This is neither amoung the most powerful (competitive at it's weight though) nor an off road capable machine. Just seems to be a bit of me too marketing (or niche filling) which after all a specialty of all the german premium car makers.

I'm not anti the model (although I still think it looks like an angry bird) it just doesn't excite me or really looks like something the market needs. If it was a 133hp maybe
    oalvarez likes this.
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    There may be a market for people who want a new Multistrada but don't want 160HP or the cost it takes to get one.
    Yukon42, Falp, oalvarez and 1 other person like this.
  14. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm one of those people. Is 160hp fun? Yes. Do I need, or want, 160hp? No. I've been riding bikes since 1993 with about 100hp (BMW K1100LT, R1200RT) and have found the sweet spot, for me, is about 125hp for a 600lb machine. Drop the weight below 500lbs and I'm having an absolutely blast on an 821 Monster with 113hp. As a more cost effective bike, if it's significantly lighter than a 1200 Multi, I think it easily makes a case for itself. Like anything else though, it all comes down to how it rides.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    JackpotDuc and Falp like this.
  15. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    I guess we'd have to define "significantly lighter." 11lbs less (than the base Multi 1200) wouldn't be it for me.
    kltk1 likes this.
  16. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 11lbs isn't much at all. I'd be shocked if after the various testers get their hands on the thing there won't be a larger difference -- say 20lbs or more. Still not huge, but I'd bet you'd feel it, in addition to the smaller motor effect.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Selling for $15,295 CDN.

:1drink
  18. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I think if people want a Ducati and don't want to spend $20k for a DVT 1200, this is their bike, but the FJ-09 is a hell of a value for the money, and has comparable features. Buy an FJ-09, spend your savings on some fancy-ass panniers/topcase, suspension upgrades, exhaust, and a Madstad screen, and you've got a hell of a bike.

You and me both. I get it - it's probably a good EU market move for licensing and tiered insurance, but I don't get it - not a lot of difference for only about $6k savings or so. I dunno. A baby Multi is not for me, but neither is the 2017 DVT Multi.

500lb wet is probably only 10lbs lighter than a DVT multi. Go test ride a 1200 DVT in Urban mode, that's about how it will ride.

I'd guess that a well-optioned Multi 950 will run anywhere from $16k-$17k (with tax here in CA), which isn't a huge savings over the 1200 DVT (non S might be close in price if you could find a deal on one, maybe), whereas a brand-new S touring with some packages is probably close to $23k-$24k.

And I'll bet dollars to donuts the maintenance costs will not be significantly cheaper, either. 18k service on a DVT Multi S touring is anywhere from $1500-$1900 (so I've read on the ducati.ms forums). The 950 motor maint costs will be similar to the Hypermotard / old Hyperstrada, I guess - anybody have numbers for those?

My prediction - in a year's time you'll see these heavily discounted. I could be wrong, but I didn't see the Hyperstrada breaking sales #s, and I think the price points for this bike will drive people to "spend a little more" and get the 1200 over this. Why? Sure, 113hp is enough, it works great for the 1200 in enduro / urban mode, but touring mode is great for highway cruising and sport mode is awesome for insanity. Why not spend a bit more for it?
    What this bike doesn't have, puts it against competition that meets or exceeds it, feature-wise, but with the price premium and Ducati character.
    Just my .02.

Edit: Is the multi 950 even coming to the US market? If not, then I guess you can ignore my points, heh
    oalvarez likes this.
  19. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Seeing how it has been on the Ducati USA website for the past week, I'd say yes. :lol3
  20. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    i think a smaller displacement multi type bike could sell.....the 959 Panigale seems to be doing ok, at least in this locale it is......but the weight savings of that "multi light" bike would have to be greater than 11lbs while not losing any of the up-market bits found on the 1200. or in other words, i (personally) wouldn't want a 500lb, 115hp Multi with narrower wheel (rear), non-adjustable seat, no cruise control, inferior forks/rear shock and the like, just for the purposes of it saving me money. but ask some other buyer and they may care less about those items and only its price. it seems to me that all Ducati is trying to do is reach the price conscious buyer in offering watered down version of its up-market bike. the bike offers "less of everything" the exception being its size/weight, and that's the part that i'm having trouble with, given that the monetary savings from a base model 1200 doesn't seem to be that much.
    ontrip and brianpc like this.