2017 Ducati Multistrada 950

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Mobiker, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    I Don't think I ever saw a mega weightsaving on a bike that has exactly the same platform. I.e an 899 was not much lighter than a 1199 (if not heavier!).

For a lighter bije Ducati would need to buikdca new type of model with a different philosophy.
    oalvarez likes this.
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I think I'm smellin' what you're cookin'. For me, the 950 is too close to the 1200. They are too similar and the displacement is too near to really differentiate it. Now, if it were, say a 900 or 800 version and it were significantly lighter, I could see that making more sense, even if it had inferior suspension bits.

When in this adventure segment, as we see here in this thread and all over ADV Rider; weight is a big thing, err... less weight is a big thing.

With go-fast bikes; less is more. With the 1299 vs. 899, you're paying for electronic suspension, wheels and other lightweight go fast bits.
    tiki01 and oalvarez like this.
  3. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    @BobcatSig yes...exactly (i think) sir.......there's not enough differentiation in the weight/size department, only in displacement and features. hec, even BMW has moved to offering both GS and GSA bikes in a "low suspension" variant that less tall/shorter legged prospective buyers are starting to gravitate towards (who also don't ride off-road). no, there's no difference in price for such but it is something that seems to appeal to a certain buyer segment. couple that with a smaller displacement motor (800s-900) and you have a bike that costs less, weighs less, has a lower seat height (still offer it with an adjustable seat), and which has three differentiating aspects to it. if Ducati wants to play the price point game then yes, offer the bike with less quality suspension bits, a smaller rear wheel, no cruise control, etc. beware though, not enough "bits" and they stand the chance of alienating some buyers, those same ones that balked at the Hyperstrada that was offered with non-adjustable suspension components (stupid!!!). i suppose market research would tell them what direction is best to go in. fun to talk about though.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  4. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    I think they fell short doing a 950 for the reasons you two mentioned, should have been the 821....
    oalvarez likes this.
  5. tiki01

tiki01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I agree with the general thoughts in here. I was also hoping it would be even lighter than it is. A used multi 1200 with the tech features missing in the 950 seems more attractive.
  6. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Euro 4 forced Ducatis hand. They had to up the engine size to keep the horsepower largely the same and still comply with the stringent Euro 4 standards.
  7. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    What does the size of the engine have to do with emission standards?
  8. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Everything. The old 821 engine was not Euro 4 compliant. In order to make compliant, Ducati would need to change the fueling, and thus, reduce the horsepower. They weren't going to release the same engine with less horsepower. In fact, they said as much with the launch of the Hyper 939.
  9. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong, but, I think the 2017 Monster 821 is euro 4 compliant and is the same, or incredibly close, to the 2016 model as it relates to horsepower.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
  10. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    But what about the torque of that engine?

I expect the 939 to be an upgraded Africa Twin engine. Loads of torque, and a nice controllable little rush (which the AT) doesnt have.
  11. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    I'll take one in the Enduro Pro Configuration! :y0!:lurk

[​IMG]
    Heck, it's a street bike that can do light off road like most of the other ADV stuff out there but at least it's not a million dollars Ducati to own.
    Falp likes this.
  12. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's kinda been my point about why I don't get this bike. It's a few thousand shy of the 1200, no noticeable weight savings, about the same in the dirt, without the other motor modes, and the maint and operating costs will still be in the "normal Ducati ownership". So yeah, when you factor in the overall cost of ownership plus the price of the bike and weigh it with the features and weight, you might as well spend the extra few thou and get a 1200 S.

Again, just my opinion.
  13. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    It's not a rub......but you don't get it because your thinking and looking at it too much like a Ducati person. This is a perfect bike to look off-road but personally I would hardly take it off-road. It's a Ducati for god sakes......a sexy, cool looking thing.....but hell no! Not off road......too expensive and nice to take off-road. I'll take and beat an AT off the beaten path and leave this to build miles on clean asphalt with the wife or gf. To me it's a more adorable Multi that has the creed without the over the top price tag. I don't need 150hp to have fun and frankly the Multi 1200 owners I've ridden with or seem can't handle or use 150hp either (that's not to be cruel or malice).

I think this gets new people into Ducati (like me) who would otherwise not be willing to put the big $$$$ down to get one.
    eltel62, victor441 and kltk1 like this.
  14. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fair points for sure.. I will say that even in urban/enduro mode (100hp), the 1200 motor is exciting as hell and fun to ride, so I imagine the 950 will be a blast also. Let us know how you like it, if you end up getting one!
    Pcfly likes this.
  15. NAPAREG

NAPAREG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that a 19 inch front wheel I wonder if that will fit my 2013 multistrada
  16. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is about the same price as the tiger 800 Xrt. Will attract more into the brand.
    Falp and Pcfly like this.
  17. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of good points being brought out here. I'll submit this for consideration as I tend to agree with pcfly. This is very similar to the comparison between the Monster 821 and 1200. While ownership costs are basically the same, the grin factor, for me anyway, between an 821 and 1200 can't be compared. While the 1200 does absolutely nothing wrong, every time I ride an 821 I don't want to bring it back. The 821 with its light weight, good hp, flickable character and lower entrance fee simply works. For me anyway. Admittedly, I'm not a big hp guy and don't get caught up in the numbers. Especially on today's bikes. They're all powerful enough to have a good time on.

All that said, it could wind up being the same with the MS950. It may simply ride differently than the MS1200. Add to that a lower price and Ducati may have a winner on its hands as the adventure touring market is still pretty hot.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Falp and Pcfly like this.
  18. DucSyd

DucSyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, can't see any reason why anyone would want this over a 1200.

The difference between a BMW GS 1200 and a GS 800 is huge.

This just looks like a smaller displacement, or am I missing something.

But then I don't get why anyone would but an 899 over an 1199 either.
    jeepjake01 likes this.
  19. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    No worries......it might not be marketed for you but to myself and another friend of mine, it's perfect!

People are in different places with bikes, if you do this kinda thing long enough your preferences change and that's what (I believe) people are trying to say (or tell you). I certainly know my likes and dislikes about certain bikes have changed. The beauty is we have so many choices now.....it's fantastic!

I have an AT and a friend of mine has a 1200GS (I used to own a 1200GS too), and frankly those are OUR dirt bikes (not to say any Multi in not). To me, I would substitute this bikes on trips I would otherwise have brought the AT (or my friend and his 1200GS) where it would be primarily street riding. For me, this gets me a Ducati without the big $$$$.
    duckman44 likes this.
  20. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    Well said!