2017 Ducati Multistrada 950

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Mobiker, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice and well equipped adventure machine. I might suggest some hand guard and axle sliders along with folding levers if you don’t already have them. All your points are valid about off-road use just be sure you have a buddy to help pick her up if you spill.
  2. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are WAY more differences
    1. suspension off road- no comparison the 1090 beats it hands down
    2. Clearance, you can measure it, first time I went a wee bit off road I bumped the header and separated it from the exhaust
    3 tire's 19 /17 doesn't compare of road, high speed on a pot holey trails the 1090 is amazing comparatively
    4. Repairs and Ducati mantra to to have every machine in the shop for repairs,,,,,, honestly how many of you can change the belt PROPERLY if need be and is there any hope of a shop Manual, I was not confident that I could do repairs way out in the boondocks as easily as I can on the KTM, and if I need a part while out in the middle of the Yukon Ducati support and parts may as well be non existent which it appears they are sometimes (heated grips on my Multi, ordered in Sept got them in March) how much are the signal lights on an MTS
    4 Power not at all related to off road capability but the 1090 is more grin inducing
    5 yes the price is comparable but replacing body parts and fixing damage on the Multi is way higher
    6 My Ducati Dealer was a total asshat !!!!!!!! his poop I am sure didn't smell or so he thought
    7 Compare dry weights

After owning 2 multistrada and a 950 990 1190 and now 1090 KTM I know a person of my ability can not ride as well off pavement or off road on a Multi as compared to the 1090 Even the ergo's fell more off road compliant on the 1090 than the 950 Multi These are my opinions based on seat of the pants tests your experience and opinion may and probably will vary. And i suspect it depends on your ability some people could take a multi any where I can go with my 1090, I can't eg. Last year I road for a day with a fella you may have heard off Chris Birch, I was on my 501 Husky and I am pretty darn sure I couldn't go places on my 501 where he could go with his 1090.

Enjoy your 950 it's an amazing bike but it's not and off road bike,,,,,just my$.02
  3. ajy1w

ajy1w Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would be foolish to suggest that the 950 is AS competent and off road worthy as the KTM. KTM is by far a leader on the dirt. My point is that for most you can get it dirty and have fun with it. If you are doing serious off road you best be on the KTM, second GS, or Africa Twin, once above the 800 adv category. I compared it mostly to the GS of like GS850. The KTM is much more proven for serious off road. My two cents is I would not count the MTS950 out of off road, their are just better choices for serious off road. Its a road bike that can handle off road. You drop any bike hard enough and its damaged. BMW parts are no less then Ducati, and I would think KTM is not that far away. BUT YES KTM IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR THIS CONVERSATION. AGREED

Sorry your Ducati dealer was a shit. Mine is the BMW dealer and down to earth.
    devildogg likes this.
  4. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Just another un-needed opinion here, but I’ll lob it in anyway. Maybe of slight interest to someone looking to buy a multi...

I won’t make the argument that the multi is better off road than the KTM’s, but what is “off road”, and then are you comparing stats or riding experience?

Any of these machines to me are hogs in “dirt bike” territory. It takes a whole different class of rider to really manhandle these 500 lb beasts like real dirt bikes. I tried, for a while, and for me resolved that i have no interest any more in that. Will stick with a real dirt bike for real dirt biking, as the bike types are just miles apart, and there’s no comparison. For me. Total respect for those who handle the big ones like real dirt bikes. To me its like looping a snow machine... wow, truly impressive, but no thanks.

All the ADV bikes I think are great “off pavement”. Where a harley, RR, 1098, etc, would be uncomfortable or even absurd on even just gravel, the ADV’s do the fire roads, logging roads, bad pavement, good single track trails, etc., with ease and enjoyment.
    So then its a matter of how is it for you, for your style and comfort, for where it will spend most of its life, on the tarmac.
    I prefer the multi’s hands down on the pavement. LOVE my 990 KTM, and its impressive, but I’m just more accustomed to the multi’s, and prefer the power delivery and handling on the Duc’s hands down.

If its going to be a large percentage of off road, the KTM is the preference, and if its going to be the more typical road use with some off road now and then i prefer Duc.
    That said, I’m so comfortable on the Multi’s, that i even have to admit that I sometimes prefer them handling-wise over the KTM when off road. Not because they are better (they aren’t), but because its just a more natural fit to how i ride.

Lifting the ktm 990 up from dirt nap is a true drag, as are all the bikes in this class of ADV bike, and probably about the same as the duc 950, regardless of a few pounds more or less. If I’m doing riding where i think i may need to be lifting the bike up off its side, I’ll probably load the old enduro or dirt bike instead. I took the (foolish, but delicious) dive and bought a 1200 multi enduro also, which for me is basically a commitment to not be doing stuff where i think I’m going to lay it over, unless I’ve got (large) riding buddies with me.

I’ve learned that for me, comparing the small differences in clearance and tech specs doesn’t really have much value for typical ADV style riding, its just how it works for you. If doing serious Off road riding a lot, then its a different deal.... At that point its hard to imagine anything bigger than the 790 making any sense for me, and likely even smaller but with a big tank.

Oh, and just to be argumentative, changing belts on a Duc is easy to do right, especially with a little practice. And parts on KTM, BMW, and Duc are about all the same to me in the big picture (total cost over life of the bike). My KTM has required more parts purchasing and futzing around with, while my Duc’s have been bullet proof. About 6 of them now over the last 25 yrs, including one that is still in the shop with almost 100k miles on it (air cooled 2v 904).
    Liberator, Vegas800XC and ajy1w like this.
  5. ajy1w

ajy1w Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Truth be told Gmc28, and comps on the 1200 Enduro sweet, a lot of bike to handle.
    A Proper dirt bike should be less then 450lbs and some place under 800CC.
    Nice Husky Devildogg
    I also believe in the top side up approach. Only had to pick up the 950 once so far, but it never made it all the way down, very close, in a gas stop on gravel,
    bad footing getting off.
  6. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    I think that’s what I said?
  7. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    I need to get at the wiring harness and can't get my paws in there. Anybody ever take the side panels off? Any tips for a noob?

Thanks,

Charlie
  8. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck finding a online shop manual for this bike. My best suggestion would be to review a OEM parts finder file at AMS Ducati to see how things go together. There are some old YouTube vids on the Multi 1200 that I found helpful. Other than that, just dive in and start wrenching.
    Falp likes this.
  9. StormShearon

StormShearon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are referring to the two panels below the fuel tank, get a small flashlight and have a look at the front and back edges - the fasteners are hidden from casual view but easily removed. If you need a picture or two, let me know.
  10. HotChilliColdBeer

Oddometer:
    Pics would be helpful!

Thanks,

Charlie
  11. StormShearon

Oddometer:
    Charlie,

I miss-spoke. The two screws are on the back edge and the bottom edge. Here are a couplke of pics.

20190601_155346.jpg 20190601_155446.jpg
  12. HotChilliColdBeer

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'll have a peek tomorrow and see what I can do.

Thanks for the photos.

Charlie
  13. StormShearon

Oddometer:
    You are most welcome. The panels are also held on to the black plastic backers with tabs\slots after you remove the two allen head screws (you lift up and away). The black plastic backers have their own fasteners, but they are pretty obvious once the color panels are off.
  14. HotChilliColdBeer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help. I got the red panels off and then the black backers and still could not get to the connector I needed. I think the tank is going to need to come off, so off to the dealer it goes.

Thanks,

Charlie
  15. StormShearon

Oddometer:
    Which electrical connector are you trying to get to (being curious)?
  16. HotChilliColdBeer

Oddometer:
    Front ABS sensor. Just deep enough that I can't reach it.

Charlie
  17. StormShearon

Oddometer:
    Ah - yeah too deep for normal hands.
  18. HotChilliColdBeer

Oddometer:
    Just deep enough. I thought that getting the side panels off would make a clearer path, but the fuel tank is in the way. Time to let the pros handle it.

Charlie
  19. plutoz

plutoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    devildogg likes this.
  20. atuamae

atuamae Adventurer

Oddometer: