2017 Ducati Multistrada 950

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Mobiker, Nov 7, 2016.

1. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Other than the fact you are wasting time not riding now? There is a great review on the Ducati 950 (non S) on Ducati's website published by Motociclismo. 50k km long term test. They say it did better than Honda and Yamaha?
    Liberator likes this.
  2. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of tires and the DS, I also have a DS! I'm about to replace my tires on the DS and wanted something better suited for this bike on the NMBDR. You mentioned you went out west with the DS. Where did you ride? Are you using the stock scorpion STR's or something else? I'm still researching using the Motoz Desert, Adventure , or ???
  3. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As far as issues, I and some others report high frequency vibration above 5k rpm's. Nothing like BMW's S1000XR, from what I read, but I do get high frequency vibes through the seat, pegs, and mirrors. No issue with the handlebars.

The stock gearing is surprisingly short, in my opinion. At 80 mph the engine's turning 5,454 rpm's, well inside the vibration zone and a bit frantic for my taste. I may be the only person to ever install a 40 tooth rear sprocket on a 950 S! This dropped the rpm's down to 5,073 at 80. No negative effects as far as acceleration or starting off in 1st gear and it helps with gas mileage. I haven't really tried to measure what miles per gallon I'm getting but I routinely see 50 mpg on the trip computer. So if you do much cruising at or near 80 mph, your test ride should definitely include some highway miles to see if the vibes bother you or not. Ducati decided to add 5% to the speed-o so be aware of that.

What else...rear brake pedal is poorly positioned and non-adjustable. Haven't had the bike long enough to ride during the summer months so I can't really give a full evaluation of heat management, other than to say I have felt the seat get warm but it hasn't been bothersome.

All that said, the 950 S is an absolute blast to ride in the twisties. Plenty of power. The Skyhook suspension is excellent. Brakes are great. Seating position is comfortable and at a reasonable height (for my 32 inch inseam). No buffeting from the adjustable windscreen. Color TFT dash and menu system are very nice. Take one for a test ride and let us know what you think!
    Liberator and Moto45 like this.
  4. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How’s this for a tricked out 2003 Multistrada 1000 DS?

Note that she’s booted with Scorpion Trail 2’s.
    809975C3-8C28-410B-A022-7602377BA117.jpeg
    Bad Dad and danketchpel like this.
  5. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I'm good with vibration. Nothing's gonna bother me after the KLR, lol!

And I'm used to being cooked in the summer commute here in VA. Figure I can take the Hyper if it's a super hot day. Hate sweltering behind a shield when it's 100 degrees and humid in stop and go.

Likely have to go with a touring windscreen as I'm 6'1" and have a bitch of a time with turbulence for some reason. Also, slap on a tall seat, remove rubber in the pegs for a little more leg room, and maybe put bar risers on and it'll be perfect.

Hopefully we'll get some decent enough weather in a week or so for me to get test ride. Figure it's a good time to see if there's 2019 stock left over.
    Griff_33 likes this.
  6. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AMS Ducati sells the manuals that dealers get but it covers the entire model range and is close to $400 and doesn't have the ability to be updated like the dealer owned ones. Looks like they send you the USB and then send you an activation code. Lotta money but would damn well save you more than that over the years (or one trip to dealer even). Only shows going up to 2018 but you can always call 'em and see what's up. https://amsducati.com/ducati-service-manual-collection
    danketchpel likes this.
  7. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I’d update the thread for one of the best bikes on the planet. Three years ownership and zero issues to report. Performance, comfort, reliability and pure joy to ride.

Attached Files:

Griff_33, Podman and Falp like this.
  8. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has there been any update on the 2018 being able to have cruise control added to it? I can pick up a brand new 2018 for around $10,000 but to purchase a brand new 19 model will cost me at least 15,000 to get cruise control....
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You can actually change that, but you have to take the master cylinder off and change the push-rod length, that rear master is shared with a TON of bikes, the body is the same as my 1290 Super Duke and my 1200 Multi.
  10. Cactus67

Cactus67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the USA market get the cast wheels version?

Loved the Testastretta on my Monster 821, but more upright seating and some wind protection for freeway miles would be great, not to mention CC. The 950 looks perfect.
  11. Falp

Falp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wired wheels are optional...
  12. Cactus67

Cactus67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must have read an old article. Cycle World launch I think. It said the USA only gets the spoke wheels version, which is 11 lbs heavier, and handled a little slower with the extra unsprung weight.
  13. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it’s available in spoked wheels only in the USA for 2019-20 models. If you check out CycleTrader none are listed with cast wheels.
    Cactus67 likes this.
  14. Falp

Falp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK maybe US...
  15. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you haven’t already, you might wanna ride a Multi 950 before deciding if it’s right for you. I did a short test ride on one and was more than a little disappointed. I have a Monster 821 and had high hopes the Multi 950 would feel like an upright M821. It doesn’t. Even in sport mode it feels like an M821 somewhere between rain and road mode.
    mikemacmo and Cactus67 like this.
  16. TheWheelADV

TheWheelADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Multi 950 is about 50 lbs heavier than the M821. That and the 15:46 sprocket combo on the M821, vs the 15:43 on the Multi 950, probably account for much of the difference in feeling.
    Cactus67 and Falp like this.
  17. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you’re going on specs on a sheet of paper that’s true. If you ride them the difference is staggering. 50lbs isn’t nearly enough to account for the very wide gap between the two bikes. It’s likely in the mapping. If they put the tune of the M821 in the 950 Multi it would feel far more alive.
  18. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    It's meant to be an Adventure bike, not a sports bike. :csm
    Griff_33, JaySwear and Moto45 like this.
  19. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I know is when I rip the throttle it pins my ears back.
  20. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the M821 have a shorter wheelbase as well? Will be a bit more inclined to wheelie. Could give the impression of wilder acceleration.

I loved the 950, but I missed the rough power too a bit. It's fast, but sensible fast.
    Griff_33 and Falp like this.