2017 Ducati Multistrada 950

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Mobiker, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Any info on what the Enduro Pro package is going to cost?

Base model 950 will be about EUR 15.900 in tye Netherlands. I expect the Enduro Pro package to add another EUR 2,500. Any ideas?

Basically for me, I'll be buying the AT or the M950 Enduro Pro next year. Whereas the AT likely is lots cheaper..
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Agreed. The 821 (and now the 939 or 950, depending on the bike) is a terrific engine. It's really great and probably one of the best for riding real roads. I have one in my Hypermotard and it's absolutely brilliant. It's even better when when you drop a tooth on the front sprocket. All of the power and torque is where you need it while riding real roads and in a light package. A friend of mine at the local Ducati dealer told me, flat out, that if he were to buy a Monster, it would be the 821.
    MCGMB and kltk1 like this.
  3. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An 821 will be in my garage at some point. Hopefully in the spring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    BobcatSig likes this.
  4. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Despite being a great bike, the KTM Smt did not gain enough traction to stay in the market.

Think the 950 will do much better than the Hyperstrada and will not be surprised to see it dropped. The dirt bike seating position dissuaded many of us.
    kltk1 likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    In Canada the Enduro Pro will be about $2500 Cdn with the wire wheels and about $2000 without. Touring package is about $1000 Cdn. Gets you bags, centerstand and heated grips.

:1drink

Edited prices. I just put a deposit on a red one with touring package. $18000 Cdn with taxes. :D
  6. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info!

I just received info from a Dutch dealership.

Enduro package is €1391. Spoke wheel set is an additional € 1693(!!). So, about €3000 for this upgrade.

That would make the M950 a lot more expensive tgan the AT :(.

On a side node: what is the feeling here in terms of suitability for proper adventure riding on the M950? Will it be too fragile and complex to take it with me around the world?
  7. Romad99

Romad99 n00b

Oddometer:
    For my first bike (that I've owned), this is appealing as a daily commuter. I will ride 95% roads with some dirt for fun, then road trips involving dirt but nothing super technical.

My buddy has a 1200S and it's the most comfortable bike I've messed with so far. Fits me like a glove. But a new 1200S is out of my current price point. I've been looking at the Tiger or even Africa Twin but the M950 may be an answer except the cruise control question.

I'm looking to buy in a few months and look forward to following this thread.
  8. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Buy a used 1200. It's one of the best values in that segment that no one discusses.
    oalvarez likes this.
  9. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the question is, what do you consider proper adventure riding?

If it truly entails lots of off-road in the middle of nowhere, it's hard to recommend the Multi. I mean as wonderful as Ducati is, reliability compared to,
    say Honda/Yamaha, isn't part of that.

And then there's the relative scarcity of dealer support globally.

You mention the AT -- that seems to be a superior choice, based on the RTW concept.

Now if your idea of Adventure riding is NOT what I describe, and instead involves lots of asphalt and populated areas, well yeah -- get the Multi. It's much more of an interesting ride, especially if you're a fan of 90 degree v-twins, which I am.
    oalvarez and BobcatSig like this.
  10. Romad99

Romad99 n00b

Oddometer:
    You can PM me but I'd like to know how old I can get to have reliability, cruise, and heated grips. I thought 2015 had a bunch of changes.

Thanks.
  11. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    It's important to note that these Ducatis are not the Ducatis of old. On my 2012, after the first valve check at 15k miles, the valves were very much in spec. I have several friends with 30k+ bikes and their second valve check yielded the same; perfect. The newer ('15+) Multistradas come with cruise control form the factory, I believe. For me, it's not a huge deal as I use a basic throttle lock. For the amount of money I save, spending all that extra money just to get CC isn't worth it. Belts are cheap and easy to replace.

Heated grips are a factory option on all MTS, starting in 2010. They are a plug and play type deal, though you will need your dealer to activate the functionality on your bike. So, I guess it's more like a dealer plug in play. :D

My MTS has never left me stranded and I've taken several week+ trips into some very remote locations. The shifter return spring did fail on me in the middle of south central Oregon - which is WAY out there - but I was still able to get home. The spring failed because I dropped the bike in the garage a few months earlier and the way the bike fell, it bent the shifter funny and likely caused too much stress on the spring. Dumb; but my fault and not an indictment on Ducati reliability.
  12. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '14 1200 Pikes Peak has a bit over 23k miles and has been extremely reliable. Got me from San Jose to up and down the east coast and back again just fine. It doesn't have cruise (from the factory, anyway) but it's for sale. :)

That said, the real issue is maint costs.. The reliability is there, but the major service intervals can get expensive, at the dealer. The '14 1200 is cheaper on maint than the DVT 1200 (15-present), but the DVT 1200 goes farther between major services. (7500/15k for 2010-2014s vs. 9k/18k for 2015-present model years).
    RidingHood likes this.
  13. AndrewTK

AndrewTK Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2013 also broke a shifter return spring, but the bike was never dropped. After doing some reading on the issue it seems that its not terribly uncommon on the 1200 motors (more seem to break on the Diavel), the consensus was that an improper alignment in the shifter linkage from the factory was the culprit. Spring costs $4.99 and the total cost would have been $133 if it was out of warranty.
  14. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    19 inch front is big news, wire wheel option is big news (for me at least). I take my 2013 Multistrada 1200S on rough fire roads and sandy paths and even with knobbies and enduro mode, the bike is not great. The fact that Ducati would offer its enduro pro package makes me think it'll be more off road worthy than the standard MTS.

I'd like to see how the power delivery works off road. I'd also like to know if the double-sided swing arm is a bit more stout than the 1200's single sided job.
  15. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    I was at the local Ducati dealer yesterday.

Based on what he said, the 950 is actually built with many similar parts as the enduro. Its not a full on enduro, but quite easily it can be turned into a lighter enduro with the official Accesories.

I was quite shocked by the prizes of the accesoiries.
    - enduro package is EUR 1391
    - touratech hard panniers and mounting is EUR 1600
    - slip on Termi is EUR 950
    - heated grips EUR 220
    - gps mount EUR 80
    - spoke tire set EUR 1690

I could get some discount on the accesoiries. Not much on the bike itself.

As mentioned, I plan to buy a proper adventure bike for long trips (up to months). My game plan now is:

1. Mts 950 with maybe Termi (there are no other after market exhausts yet) and maybe spoked wheels set later on
    - only factory heated grips
    - all other stuff after market (sw motech etc), such as bash plate, panniers, crash bars, tank bags, kaoko throttle lock etc etc

2. Or AT, depending on how the Mts 950 performs on some test trips through Europe. I might trade in my 950 quite soon. But I just am too curious to move on to the AT straight away.
  16. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Yup. I found the same, though it wasn't an easy find. Not a lot of reports out there about it. Typical Ducati; really cheap and easy party to replace and a 10x cost to replace it. :lol2
  17. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    That's really nice:

[​IMG]
  18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    If Ducati has done this without increasing the seat height, then it'll be a nicely accessible configuration for those who want the Enduro style bike, but not the drawbacks that come with it.

I see no mention of higher handlebars, different mirrors, etc., that are on the 1200 Enduro. Any idea on if it's got those? The photo LOOKS like it has a 19" front wheel, but my eyes might be playing tricks on me.
    raulghe likes this.
  19. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    It has a 19inch front wheel.

To get tye Enduro Pro config, you roughly have to spend € 4.000 on assecories....

- spoke rims: 1600
    - termi: 900
    - enduro package (bash plate etc): 1300
  20. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    1600 euro for spoke wheels? I wonder if the spoke wheels option is the enduro package/wheels? 1300+300= 1600 euro