2017 Ducati Multistrada 950

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Mobiker, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    I wonder why the 19 inch front on what they're marketing as their entry level Multistrada?
    oalvarez likes this.
  2. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    Exactly what i was afraid of.......but tough to fight at the lower price point, something has to give. A "Ducati" with less than stellar suspension and an engine that isn't all that exciting is.........what it is i guess.

I like the bike, still trying to understand where it fits given how it's being marketed. A fun commuter? A slightly less heavy but lesser powered upright road bike for the canyons? A wanna-be offroad bike given the 19" wheel? Maybe it's all those things?
    Requiem84 likes this.
  3. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
  4. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sat on one at the IMS NY. Very comfortable. I thought more so than the 1200 Multi. Really looking forward to riding one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  5. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    I think it serves a dual purpose:

Entry bike for people with lesser budget, but who still want the MTS style. The Hyperstrada never worked for me, the 950 does (although 939 sounds so much sexier)

Second point is, the 19 front gives it a small hint of Adventure bike. The 1200 in all honesty is more a bike for the pavement. The Enduro is 10k more expensive and heavier. The 950 fits nicely in: 'cheap' and comfortable stylish bike which you can use as an Adventure bike on light offroad parts.

I am still planning to buy one, although I wont take it with me rtw. The AT just seems 10x bettersuuted for rtw trips.

After reading every first impression, recurring theme is how crazy comfortable the 950 is. Very curious about this aspect.
  6. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you're right on R84.

The 950 hits an unoccupied spot of Ducati affordability, function, and style.

I would add that the Enduro and other packages provide a modular breadth of appeal (along with high margin $$$ to Ducati) to a variety of riders.

And the 19" wheel does open up the off-road tire options. I believe an ADV style bike looks better with a 19" front, but that's personal preference.

Hard for me to call it "entry level" given the HP and cost relative to other makes, but compared to other Ducati models, it certainly is.

From a marketing perspective, it makes sense to me. But does the buying public agree? We'll find out soon enough.
  7. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    When talking to the several Ducati dealers in the Netherlands, I understand they get quite some information request on the 950.

Of course, could be a sales pitch :).
  8. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    MCGMB likes this.
  10. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I wonder; did Ducati have a bunch of parts left over from the previous edition MTS and need to find a way to use them?

The reason for this is that it appears that the MTS950 has the non-color display and also has the old (non-LED) headlamps.
  11. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    Just cheaper parts.
    oalvarez and BobcatSig like this.
  12. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think with a 21/18 combo from Woody's, full exhaust and lithium-ion battery this thing might be a sleeper.....
  14. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Two reviews up today

Austrian 1000ps

British MCN
  15. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    So...to sum up MCN's review......basically a cheaper, lesser powered, lower quality suspended 1200.

My prior question has now been answered. :)
    MaNDan and duckman44 like this.
  16. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    More than enough power for fast sport touring and fully adjustable suspensions, I like that. Probably a lot faster than Honda AT, F800 and the Tigers 800. Looking forward to an off road and road test against other adventure bikes. This is no enduro I'm thinking but with the enduro package and the right tires I would take one to Prudhoe bay or Inuvik any time.
  17. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    Well, what did you expect, that Ducati would make a little sister that would have higher quality parts than its big brother? That would be a bit strange ;).

There are quite some reviews that say however that they did enjoy the MTS950 more than the MTS1200.

Cycleworld:
    Of course, it's a matter of personal taste. But I do think there is an interesting piece of market for Ducati. Currently the MTS1200 does not really compete with the Africa Twin, Triumph 800's, 800GS etc. The MTS950 does, and actually is in the same ballpark as many, but offers better specifications, better looks and also better maintenance intervals (not double checked this last one ;)).

You sound like you are thinking the MTS950 should compete with the MTS1200; that's not the case. Both bikes are aimed at a different type of rider (imo!).

The only gripe I have is that Ducati is trying to sell the idea that you can turn this bike into anything you want (sports package, touring package, urban package and enduro package). For me, this is too much marketing speak.

- It can't be a sportsbike because you bolt on a Termi. Suspension will remain too soft for really aggressive (track) riding
    - It will never be a true Enduro (RTW) bike, the ground clearance is low, the spoke wheels are crazy expensive to change and the suspension travel isn't sufficient

It can however be a good touring bike and an urban bike. I just wish that if they offer these kind of packages, it would include real world benefits (Spoke wheels + different suspension for the Enduro for instance...).
  18. Hawk28

Hawk28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another difference: Wheelbase for 950 is 62.76 inches. 1200 is 60.2 inches
  19. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't that because it uses the 1200 Enduro swingarm?
  20. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Requiem84 likes this.