2017 Ducati Multistrada 950

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Mobiker, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Requiem84

Requiem84 Riding around the world @gravelforbreakfast.com

Oddometer:
    Is that tire a bit more road focussed?

I just got an e-mail from my Ducati dealer that production of the MTS950 has started earlier than expected. Initially, he thought that the first demo would arrive beginning of February, but apparently he will have the demo model already next week!

I will get my test drive first week of January. Looking forward to it so much! :)
    Falp likes this.
  2. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    From what I could read online, the 120 front and 170 read should be available early next year, more sizes are coming soon. Looks like a 50/50 tire.
    Requiem84 likes this.
  3. Hawk28

Hawk28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JustKip, Thanks for pointing out the MTS 1200 enduro based swingarm on the 950. The MTS 1200 Enduro wheelbase is 62.76" and the standard MTS 1200 is 60.2". The 950 wheelbase is the same as the 1200 enduro. I was wondering about the flickability of the longer wheelbase in the twisties and switchbacks up here in the Sierra and in the coastal range. I guess that I will do a search on the MTS 1200 thread for some info.
    Falp and JustKip like this.
  4. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think about that with every bike I consider, living a little south of you, by Kings Canyon N.P.
    Just going by specs, the 19" front wheel and longer swingarm would give more directional stability, and therefore, less flickability.
    OTOH, my '16 GS has a 19" front wheel and telelever/paralever suspension, yet can still be pushed aggressively thru the twisties. Still, this is no supermoto...or Hypermotard! Better for touring, but less fun where we ride the most, and just for the joy of it.
  5. gbravo

gbravo German

Oddometer:
    Comparing the MTS950 vs MTS1200 Enduro geometry, the only significant diference is suspension travel, 170 mm. (6.7") in the 950 and 200 mm (7.9") in the 1200E and with this the ground clearance. The other measures and dimensions are the same or almost same: wheelbase 1594 mm. (62.76"); Rake 25.2°; Trail 105.7 mm. (4.2") vs 110 mm (4.3") and wheel diametrer (19" front and 17" rear)
    Leaving aside the weight difference, with those dimensions, the driveability would be very similar in both bikes, both on gravel or in tarmac. The suspension travel would make better the 950 in braking and curves, and better the 1200 in jumps or crossing over holes and bumps.
    If you dont look for a bike for extreme off road, the MTS950 with spokes would be good for riding in gravel roads, even could be better.
    twflybum and Falp like this.
  6. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for off road review, hoping to see one soon.

Falp likes this.
  7. gbravo

gbravo German

Oddometer:
    Me to ...
  8. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    You do realize it's not a "dirt bike". Just a two wheeled SUV/Crossover. I'll be taking mine down the odd gravel road and that's about it. Mostly looking for a quiet campsite or viewpoint. It'll be just as good as the 1200 in that respect.

:1drink
    oalvarez, BobcatSig and kltk1 like this.
  9. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know more of a roadie than Honda AT but it should still be good on gravel roads and light off roads but I still want to read a few reviews. Presently riding a 2011 r1200gs and been riding BMW boxer's since 2005. Before that I rode a 1991 907ie for 14 years. Been missing that Desmo engine since the day I sold it. A few years back, I took a ride on Monster 696 and I knew then that I needed another Ducati.

[​IMG]
    duckman44, BobcatSig and Deuce like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Same thing happened to me. I had a custom 860 GT that I purchased from Richard White in Sherbrooke, PQ. Dual disc front end and beautiful set of Conti's. I can still hear that bike in my head. Sold it in the 80's and haven't had a Ducati since. Time to remedy that situation.

[​IMG]
    BordenBmw likes this.
  11. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean by "still hear that bike in my head". That new 950 sounds a lot like my 907(minus the dry clutch) but it does pick up rev a lot faster when he blips the throttle.

Requiem84 and Deuce like this.
  12. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    Pulled tge trigger. Delivery expected in 6 weeks.

Will buy Africa Twin 750 for off road adventures. MTS 950 for local rides and shorter trips in Europe.
    BordenBmw and MCGMB like this.
  13. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

Falp, ontrip and Requiem84 like this.
  14. awdspider

awdspider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got home from the motorcycle show. I'm thinking the 950 will be my next bike.....I would like to switch the 19" front for a 17" though. Wonder how much trouble that will be
  15. Requiem84

Oddometer:
    Why would you want to do that? The whole geometry of the bike is set-up for the 19 inch front. A 17 inch front will change the geometry and will have adverse effects on the handling, also taking into account the 150 rear tire.

I think you should first try the 950 with the stock 19 inch tire for a test ride. If it steers too slow for you, fiddle with the suspension (i.e., raise the rear a bit, increase front damping etc).
  16. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    I agree with Requiem84. By the time you buy a new front wheel and fiddle with the suspension it should be cheaper if you just buy the 1200 Multistrada.
  17. awdspider

awdspider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was under the assumption that the 950 and 1200 shared the same geometry. They felt the same but of course feel and actual dimensions can/could be different.

I've thought about the 1200 but it's a bit more bike than I want. Right now my budget is about 15k. I've thought about the stradale 800 (also like the hyperstrada) but they are hard to find and dealers are few and far between.
  18. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion the 19" front is a great thing -- increases capability of doing any off-road. Additionally, I believe the 950 has the wider 120 front, which means there's some on-road sporty rubber available.
    Falp likes this.
  19. awdspider

awdspider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just want the sport part of it. I have a dedicated off-road bike for the rough stuff
  20. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    ^ then buy a used 1200. ;)
    BobcatSig, duckman44 and MCGMB like this.