2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question guys what size is the Axel nut, normally they are 22mm or 24mm but not have there bike here I cannot tell ? Many thanks in advance guys. I am wanting to put together a set of tire irons and spare inter tubes for my Christmas mini tour of north Thailand, if things work out. If not it will be next July.
  2. tmh

tmh It's A Wonderful Day For Pie

Oddometer:
    30 mm
  3. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    30mm, many thanks, bigger than expected, however I hardly know my way around a spanner.
  4. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I have a little bit of a Delmer, some time back I ordered a Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled High Termigoni Exhaust 96481231A, then promptly cancelled it as I was not sure cost against gain as I have struggled to really find much as to its worth. I love the look but at $1500 its not cheap. So the guy from Ducati Thailand who I deal with and my wife texts for the bits I want ordered, texted back the other day and after my wife finally noticed, his boss the dealership owner and some notable local wealthy guy has sold his DS and prior to this removed all the tricky bits fitted which include this exhaust. He wants $600, well just over but close or at least he thinks he will take that. lt is used but my guys says it is just like new as his boss has done nearly no miles. (This guy has about 5 or 6 Ducati's and a Lamborghini and AMG Merc in a glass building just to the side of the showroom) And with Thailand's import tax that is no joke. So thoughts guys has anyone got one, or even seen one in action ? I am interested to know your thoughts. At this cost, plus no dsoubt some fitting I am tempted, but ?
  5. tmh

Oddometer:
    I guess that the value (and hence price) of the Termi can only really be calculated by you based on the gains you need or expect. I ride my Sled only alone (I've got the RT for 2-up), and while I'm no lightweight I also don't carry any significant luggage (just a tank and tail bag). With that in mind, I don't feel that the Sled is underpowered in the least, and it runs great. So the only gains I was after was some weight reduction (always beneficial) and cooler operation (and maybe just a little more bark). The Giannelli system with de-cat cross-over (a bit over $300 on FleaBay) gave me all of the gains I wanted/needed at what I considered a reasonable price.

For what I was looking for, even $600 for a Termi system would have been overly expensive. But as they say... your mileage may vary.
  6. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for your reply, I am leaning that way and after some thought regarding the way this has played out I suspect my guy may have being try to sell this used exhaust all the time as after I enquired he gave me a price, when I failed to initially order he offered me a price reduction roughly equal to the price in the US remembering the very high Thailand import taxes ? This was however to be a cash deal ? I suspect on reflection we may have been talking the same used exhaust all along, maybe, maybe not, they are a sneaky bunch these guys Ducati or not ? I have time until Christmas I was just wandering if anyone had any experience with this exhaust, it looks super cool to me, although I know opinions vary, it does however reduce the luggage capacity by one pannier, not really a issue given I have multiple opinions and my wife has Zero interest in traveling on the bike so capacity even with this removed is not a big downside ?
  7. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    These days with exhaust changes I think it's more about looks, sound, some weight, and does it change/affect something else? There are some gains to be made in power but not as much as it used to be, they have gotten better at making them flow decently.

Personally I'm not a fan of high pipes primarily due to the fact that at some point the pipe is close to your leg which either makes things hot, or pushes your leg out some. The looks thing is very much a personal deal. I did ride a standard Scrambler with the high Termi pipe on it. It wasn't nearly as intrusive as Triumph's stock Scrambler pipes, didn't care for that pipe at all, very intrusive. This is the bike I test rode with the high Termi on it. It did sound nice, pretty sure the DB killer was out.

20150815_134547-1.jpg

The funny thing is when I was first looking at Scramblers and primarily considering the Triumph (before the Ducs came out) I was planning on replacing the high pipe with a low one as I absolutely hated how it felt when I test rode one. When the Desert Sled came out and had a low pipe I was stoked. I chose the pipe I have now as I didn't want any interference with luggage or my body and I liked the low pipe looked. It also lost the CAT easily.
  8. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for your thoughts, the above is not the pipe I am looking at, it maybe even better as regards performance but it is pig ugly in my opinion. I think I need to be honest with myself and admit my wanting this pipe is for the look and nothing more. I flip one way and then the other, I want the pipe but justifying the cost (Even that is not the issue, I have worked away the last 15+ years if I cannot treat myself then why bother) just for the look as it seems from the little I have found that the original high pipe offer little if any performance benefit. While this little or no performance benefit really does not bother me as I don't really ride the bike anywhere near its limit in any event. As I write this I realize I am just looking for some one to say cool treat yourself, because deep down I know this to be near wasted money, so sorry for wasting your time guys I am buying it, if I get a burnt leg then that just serves me right.
  9. tmh

Oddometer:
    No apologies - buy what makes you happy! Happiness is definitely a value, which made the purchase price all the more reasonable.

Heck, if I used my head instead of my heart, I wouldn't even have my Sled now.
    Chalkie62 and tonyubsdell like this.
  10. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friend looking at a Scrambler

What is the interchangeability between the DS, SC and Scrambler

Thanks
  11. tmh

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert, but it seems like many parts are consistent/interchangeable across the Scrambler model line. More obvious differences on a few specific models would include the longer swing arm on the DS (longer rear shock required), the clip on bars on the Cafe Racer, etc.

So a good deal of parts interchangeability between the Scrambler models depending on what specifically you are referring to. Let the group know more specifically what you have in mind about the interchangeability of which parts and I'm sure that the collective wisdom will give you a more complete answer.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  12. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update

Friend wants side number plates, bigger front fender, motor crash bars

Just to name a few

Best regards
  13. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  14. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you friend is looking for a regular Scrambler to be honest it is much easier as everything pretty much other than model specific like few of the cafe racer bits fit and even that is just a standard Scrambler with a load more bits specific to that bike, they could be retro fitted, its the DS that is the more difficult one as far more Scrambler parts than any other don't fit. Which Scrambler is he after, I guess its not a DS given his "bigger front fender" requirement, so he is nearly open to everything out there. The options are endless as will be the costs LOL.
  15. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Thanks

Appreciate the input.

His wallet will define the limits

YRMV
  16. tmh

Oddometer:
    Boy this poor dude has apparently had 3,900 miserable miles on his Sled. Glad that I have a LOT more fun on mine!

[​IMG]
    Clem Fandango likes this.
  17. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sometimes forget what a really great looking bike they are ?
  18. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Dealer in Greenville had a Black with Golf Wheels on the lot

Striking
  19. tmh

Oddometer:
    And the best thing is that they are as capable as they are great looking!
  20. RealOldDualSportGuy

Oddometer:
    Well said

YRMV