2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. GabeHanson

GabeHanson GabeHanson

Oddometer:
    I tried taking 20cc of fork oil out to help with the harsh ride. It made a negligible affect on the ride but did induce head shake above 90mph.

I’ll be adding the fluid back
  2. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reporting back the results. I was considering but usually that affects the feel kinda early in the stroke and that's not a problem I have, in fact it's a bit mushy. It's more like too much high speed compression dampening.

Plus porky wheels and very stiff tires.
  3. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy You Played it for her, you can play it for me Supporter

Oddometer:
    Recommed on line source for Ducatti OEM Parts?

Regards
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
  5. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Triumph Scrambler looks exactly like my Ducati Scrambler... I like the exhaust pipe.
    Jproaster and LuciferMutt like this.
  6. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just phoned my guy in Thailand an ordered the exhaust (Well the wife did anyway), I like the look that much that this picture has pushed me over the edge, its used but apparently looks new ? . We will see at Christmas.
  7. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of friends have that exhaust in the Chicago area for sale. I think it looks amazing, but it just doesn't have the "ducati TERMI" sound. It sounds very similar to the stock exhaust. It also interferes with a rear rack, I'm sure there is a way to hack that issue, but a pain to deal with that nonetheless. I went with a Zard Zuma and it sounds like a proper ducati should. If that Termi sounded like my ZARD, I would have jumped on it.
  8. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just as well I like the stock sound then, plus the police in Thailand impound bikes with none kite marked exhausts, of which there re many locally made in Thailand. I am not saying the Zard is none Kite marked but this is already in Thailand and with duties sometimes it is just makes sense to take what you can get. The Zard however does look pretty dan nice I have to admit, which color do you have the stainless or the black.
  9. juanfrancisco

Oddometer:
    _DSC0267.jpg
    danketchpel and 5th-Elefant like this.
  10. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's a sweet looking bike, when I see a picture like that I remember why I purchased a DS in the first place. There is a good chance by the time I have put all the crap on mine, I will want to take some back off, we will see, I have bought so much in anticipation of my Christmas holiday when I get back to Thailand, it will have been a full year this timer around, but hopefully next July I can call it a day and retire. I will be riding the crap out of it then.

What do you have going on around the number plate ? looks like you have added something ? or is it just me ? I like that rear rack very much.
  11. VuTron

VuTron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's another Brit riding around the world on a Sled. If you have Instragram, give "the_redhead_rider" a follow. (i am in no way associated with him)
    juanfrancisco and danketchpel like this.
  12. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do we get the lead photo for this thread changed? It's still that photo of the valve keepers I posted, which is a horrible photo for such great looking bikes. Or do you guys see something else?
  13. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sad thing is Henry Crew had his RTW bike stolen recently, SUX!!!
    VuTron and juanfrancisco like this.
  14. juanfrancisco

Oddometer:
    Nothing added, just the kriega mounting straps dangling.
  15. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    God knows I am always rambling on about my DS and how much I love it and so on, but it has been a pretty good year and I was thinking of maybe adding to my mostly other than my DS small capacity bike/scooter collection. I as some might have noted live and work in China but plan to retire to my retirement home in Thailand mid next year if everything works out. So I was thinking of maybe adding a R nineT Urban G/S as I very much like this retro bike and it would be a good companion to my DS for when friends visit and or I fancy a bit of variety, especially if I added the Unit garage Urban kit which I think is super cool, but can you believe this ???????? In the states the bike is roughly 13k USD in Thailand I have just to my horror found it is the equivalent to 32k USD WTF both quoted from the official BMW Motorad site of each country. I really like the Urban but not that much, that is an incredible price. I thought I had gotten butt fucked paying over 14k USD for the DS, now I consider it a bargain. Thoughts
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that crazy price due to import duties? I know some countries have nutzo import taxes, like 100% on some vehicles etc.

Did you get around that with the Sled cuz they are manufactured in Thailand? For reference, I paid $13.5k USD out the door, that included the heated grips but not installed as I installed them myself.

I like that model BMW, I was happy to see them use the older air/oil cooled 1150 engine and telescoping forks. The only other BMW I like at the moment is the R1250 R, well it used to be the R1200 R. I rode one of those and came back thinking "this is a current BMW I'd buy" after having ridden a few different models, most of which are far too complex these days.

That Urban GS falls right in there with more simple design and I actually really really like the original early '80s R800 GS models so the retro reference to it is great for me. I owned a '82 R100 RS for 28 yrs.

That said, there's no way I'd pay $32k USD for any motorcycle, just ain't gonna happen. Got friends in the right places ????
  17. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, nuts, it is the duties, same with HD's the Thai's apparently I am told singled HD out for special attention, it maybe that two of HD's competitors in that market are now made in Thailand, Ducati and Triumph ? Regardless as much I really like the Urban, no way at that price, just crazy money. I was talking to a friend last night who permanently lives in Thailand and who I am going for a roughly 10 +/- day bike trip at Christmas and he was saying he knows of 2 BMW dealer (These sell both cars and bikes) that have recently closed and one HD dealer, this could well be the fallout.

Shamefully I have to admit that works for me, more Ducati bikes sold equals more Ducati or at least stable Ducati dealers and hence more service locations.

Just sat for a minute looking at juanfrancisco bike photo above and I still think these are the best looking bike currently out there. I know many people are skeptical about the bike, I however believe them to be very wrong, they are not just some design exercise on a coffee house special, they are pretty much the real deal that also happen to look good parked outside your favorite coffee house.
  18. rbny

rbny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I was looking at a Desert Sled my local Ducati dealer stated that the Desert Sleds were assembled/made in Italy vs the rest of the Scrambler line that's coming out of Thailand. Not that it matters much but did this change?

There's nothing currently out there that would replace my MTS 950 for the type of riding that I do and the environment that I'm in; however, I would take a DS as my second choice to the MTS 950.
  19. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought they had stopped some time ago assembling them in Italy ? Maybe others have a better idea I know my bike is Thai as it was clear marked as such, salesmen are full of shit in any event.
    Fitz Fortune likes this.
  20. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told that the 2017's and earlier were made in Italy and the 2018 and newer were made in Thailand. I have no problems with Thailand but since I was buying an Italian motorcycle, I bought a leftover 2017 instead of the 2018.