2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told the same thing. I believe my 2017 was made in Italy. The few times I've had the tank and seat off I believe I've seen a few made in Italy markings.
  2. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats what I understood, it is the reason I own one now, no import duties, otherwise I would be on a Triumph which it also made in Thailand.
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's correct, at least for the Desert Sled. When I bought mine the dealer had quite a few in inventory and I went through them to see which came from where. If you look at the mfgr sticker it will say either Ducati Motor SPA (Italy) or Ducati Motor LTD (Thailand). I think the cutoff date is around April, possibly May of 2017. My bike is the latest build date I could find there from Italy, mine was built 4/2017 in Italy. All the bikes I found made after mine were built in Thailand.

I don't have any issues with Thai motorcycle manufacturing, my Triumph Bonneville was built in Thailand and is top notch. My old Kawi KLR650 was also built in Thailand. For this bike I just wanted one made in Italy if I could get one, just a personal thing. That said, maybe the ones from Thailand have better clutches, LOL.

Gestalt, how are the Triumphs priced over there? I'd probably rather have a Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC (lower one) than the BMW, though I agree the BMW is pretty cool and offers a larger difference in ride experience.
    juanfrancisco likes this.
  4. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Triumph pricing it every much like Ducati, just slightly higher than the USA, but reasonable. My friend has the 1200 XA Scrambler (Smaller one) and it is just a little glitz for me, beautiful bike but the Urban reminds me of the original GS and I really like those just don't want the issue of riding an older bike, in any event at that price it is a none starter.

I don't really need another bike but what has need to do with owning multiple bikes ? I will have to have a good look around at Christmas and see if anything takes my fancy. Out of left field I might be interested in that he Honda X-ADV as a second larger bike, pretty much anyone can ride one of those I am thinking which could be useful for when friends visit ? They are however about/near the same money as the new Africa Twin so (Well 1400 USA difference only, unless you want the Adventure which I would not I don't think) a really posh scooter at that price ? Hypermotard is also a bike that nearly gives me a boner but I am not sure I would survive owning one (I had a test ride here and shit do those things go and makes you feel like you are better rider than I know I am), the bonus of another Ducati is the dealer is close, that is something to consider. I guess if the only problem I have is finding another bike it is a problem I can live with.
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke with Woody's Wheel Works in Denver Colorado today.

They can offer both taping the stock rims using the Outex kit (forgot to ask the price) or what I asked about, relacing the wheels using narrower rims that are more standard sized for ADV bikes. They offer taping the rims with Outex for a tubeless setup after lacing.

They use SS spokes and Excel rims which are available in Gold, Silver (natural I think), and Black. If you ship them your wheel or just the hub (pull the wheel apart yourself and ship only the hub so it's much cheaper for you to ship) the price is $700/wheel before shipping back.

They said the "standard" rim widths for ADV bikes is 2.5" front and 4.25" rear, which is exactly the rim sizes on my Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Stock rim widths for the Sled are 3.0" front and 4.5" rear. I'm running 110/80-19 and 150/70-17 tire sizes on the Stelvio and they work well.

I think there's a good chance I might go with this option. $1,400 for a set with the narrower/lighter rims and taped seems reasonable. What I'd like to do first is get an estimate of the weight savings with the narrower rims. The SS spokes are a nice bonus long term.
    tonyubsdell and VuTron like this.
  6. mikeyyah

mikeyyah Let's ride!

Oddometer:
    Hey Zaz. I saw in another forum that you mounted the piaa light onto your barkbuster's brace. What mount did you use to accomplish this?
  7. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FB1E472F-CB26-4F64-A0A4-4C687C221C45.jpeg B92BB025-96B0-4DAB-A92D-173F751275E8.jpeg Just back from a couple of months of cooling my heels in the San Juan’s and breaking in my Sled. The bike performed like a champ and completely lived up to my expectations. Cruising the backcountry in style was a dream come true.
  8. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looking forward to reading more detail on this adventure...
  9. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, me as well, please tell us more !!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Chalkie62

Chalkie62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great country. lucky to have the time to ride.
  11. Burner29

Burner29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mikey, I replied to you on another forum about this. I think I have an explanation of what I did to mount the light somewhere on this form also, if you have any questions just drop me a line. Pretty simple install, I was actually going to remove the bracket to clean it up and paint it but never got around to it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    mikeyyah likes this.
  12. rbny

rbny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics and thanks for sharing. Again, you seem to have a great setup with your DS. I could be following your footsteps sometime in the future for a second bike, depending where we move to next. But we do miss your input at the MTS 950 category.
  13. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7137FA8C-5FA0-42F2-8719-E3F2427D5C9E.jpeg You betcha rb. I know you considered the sled before buying the MTS. I can say it’s the perfect compliment to it for non-technical off-road adventure. My hardcore riding days are behind me and at this stage I prefer style and comfort on a well performing machine. The 803 engine delivers on all counts and the sound is intoxicating. I absolutely love looking at the sled next to my 950 in the garage knowing I’ve got the option of choosing either bike for a specific ride. Life is good...
  14. therm

therm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello, anyone complete a tail tidy and have a 2018 oem license plate bracket you are wanting to get rid of ? Thanks
  15. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which tank bag is that? Tank lock? I like!
  16. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SW Motech Legend Black magnetic. Also comes in brown. Works great, very strong magnet and includes a rain cover. Highly recommended for small items and quick access. I carry my phone, piece, cap and sunglasses in it and it never slipped on the tank even on rough terrain.
  17. tmh

tmh It's A Wonderful Day For Pie

Oddometer:
    One off a 2019 should work, right?

You are fairly local IIRC. Come on down to Nipomo if you want the one off my '19. I'm never going to go back to the OEM style tail, so it is yours if you want it.

Or do you just need a part off of this:

[​IMG]
  18. therm

therm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tmh, yes, I'm in Paso Robles -- so I'm fairly close .

That looks like the part I need , I'd be happy to bring you a few bottles wine for your trouble !
  19. jamboa

jamboa jamboa

Oddometer:
    At 69 yo. Thinking of getting back on unpaved NF roads just improved ones mostly. Was thinking CB500X or the coming Super Tenere 700 but the DS is such a looker and that sound sure is intoxicating.
    Can 31” inseam flat foot a DS? Sure wish the Duc dealer in Little Rock had not kaput!
    Xchemie likes this.
  20. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m not so sure about flat footing but I’m a 32” and I have no problem getting both feet down. It is a rather tall bike so better sit on one to be sure. The best thing about the bike is it’s just as much fun on pavement as it is on forest roads. The gold rims were the only turn-off for me when the bike came out but I’m learning to embrace them. I may change to black at some point but I really wish they were brushed aluminum. Other than that it’s a keeper.