2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    FYI, I installed a full "classic" fender on my full throttle. I'm not sure what your plan is, but if you are mounting a larger fender, you need several other parts in addition to that bracket. There is a separate plastic splash shield that mounts under that, as well as a bunch of screws and spacers. I used the parts fiche at https://shop.oemducati.com/en/products to obtain part numbers, and then ordered from Ducati Omaha's website.
  2. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'6" and have a 30" inseam and manage just fine. The bike is skinny and not too heavy so I feel comfortable on the balls of my feet, Tried a low seat, but that got me further away from the bars ( I also have short arms) so stuck with a 2019 stock seat. I also tried Rox risers, but they didn't feel right angled towards me and I took them off. If anyone is looking for 2" Rox Risers let me know. I filed them at the bottom a bit.
  3. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How’s this for a base camp view? It’s good to know there’s a lot of freedom left to enjoy in the great American West.
    Lake City , Co is a sportsman’s paradise and a must visit for every adventure rider. The TAT runs right by Lake San Cristabol and over the west slope before spilling into Utah. I met riders from all over the world getting their taste of high alpine bliss. That’s my rig and camp on the bluff.

Attached Files:

danketchpel and Fireman1000 like this.
  4. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let’s see that rig Moto45
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tmh and therm, I'm just down a little further south from you guys in Camarillo, I'd love to hook up with you guys for a ride sometime. I seem to recall another inmate on this thread that is up closer to you guys.
  6. mikeyyah

mikeyyah Let's ride!

Oddometer:
    I have a 30" inseam and I am able to manage fine with both feet barely on the balls. The comfort seat lowers the height by about 3/4". If you don't want to shell out over $200, you can remove the upholstery and some of the padding.
  7. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey!

We are glad to hear that bag is working out for you so well. It's also a great looking bag, and goes well with the Desert Sled's styling. Thanks for the nice write up!

The Red Bull Team of SW Motech NA
    TAS and VuTron like this.
  8. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6E3B84AA-BB53-4EA1-BF25-06B86658E5A9.jpeg You’re welcome, I’m a big fan of your quality products. I agree, the styling suits the bike and also ties in nicely with the rear bag.
    rbny, danketchpel and VuTron like this.
  9. gentimmy

gentimmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there an FAQ thread?

Looking for overall reliability, highest mileage, etc. I know people start to side-eye Ducati's after 5xxx miles
  10. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Any issues with heat or burning pants.boots on your right side by the pipe? I've seen a few reviews about folks either thinking it was a bit hot, or actually frying riding pants.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    My Multistrada is about 75000km +45000 miles its been perfectly reliable, it starts to goes, and it generally only slightly more fuss than my KTM.
    gentimmy likes this.
  12. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My boot does occasionally rub against the exhaust but with the heat shield I have not had any problems.
  13. gentimmy

gentimmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. Hope that is a review shared by the masses of the DS as well.

It's entirely possible that my local source is biased...I'll throw that out there
  14. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look up Henry Crew. He recently completed an around the world trip on a desert sled. 60k+ miles. Only issue he had was with the clutch and I think it was a demo bike. I’ve done over 40k miles on other air cooled Ducati’s with basically the same motor. Reaching 10k on mine. No issues to report.
    gentimmy likes this.
  15. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the updatte
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I'm aware of.

The aircooled 2V Ducati engines are generally very robust. The more problematic area would probably be the clutch. The service intervals for the valves is kinda short (7,500 miles) and the cam belts need to be changed every few years. Otherwise it's pretty a pretty solid bike. I've seen Monsters with 40-50k miles on them.

One thing Henry Crew pointed out was with pipes that tuck up close to the rear brake master cylinder it can cause overheating of the MC leading to seal failure eventually. It's part of the reason my pipe is a little further away from the MC and lower slung to not cook my soft luggage. He did have one rear MC failure.

I've got 20k miles on my Sport Classic which has the 1000cc twin plug version of that engine. The only problem on that bike was the voltage regulators overheated because Ducati put them under the seat with not enough cooling air. I have replaced mine with a MOSFET type which runs much cooler and mounted it outside under the rear fender area (at least that's what to call it) where it gets air, problem solved. The Sleds don't have that problem.

I have not had reliability problems with my Sled so far in a little over 4k miles of riding. I'm not worried about reliability. When I spoke with the dealer tech he indicated they've had very few problems with the Scrambler line in general with the clutch being the most I've seen reported online. One of the things I like about the Desert Sled is it's kinda low tech in comparison to the other Ducati models.

Really the only issue is slightly higher service cost compared to other bikes due to the valves and belts. You can extend the valve inspection intervals by using the MBP retainer rings which are better made and more durable than the OEM split rings. They don't pound out like the OEM ones so the closer clearances don't change as much. I have them in my Sport Classic and will install them in my Sled when closer clearances need to be changed. The opener shims are much easier to swap.
    Moto45, gentimmy and Fitz Fortune like this.
  17. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had any problems so far with the pipe frying my leg/pants. In fact the Sled is cooler to ride than my Sport Classic as the rear header pipe is more hidden and insulated. You will feel some heat when stopped and it's hot outside, but so far it hasn't been too bad for me. It's sort of a Ducati thing and some other models are much worse in that regard.

I am not keen on high pipes for this reason. I test rode the Triumph 1200 Scrambler and the high pipe on that bike did start to fry my leg, super uncomfortable in hot weather.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  18. gentimmy

gentimmy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't thank you guys enough for the feedback
  19. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I did a three week trip on a rented 2010 Multistrada in 2018.....handed the bike back with 92,000 miles on it. It was a little beaten, but it ran like a top.

I was even pleasantly surprised with the base model stock suspension, it was undersprung (they all were) but a couple clicks here and there and it worked fine, not my Ohlins.....but good.

The myth of Ducati un-reliability is just that. I have seen numerous Monsters that were around the 100,000 mile mark, both air and water cooled, same for hypermotards and GT-1000s If the maintenance is kept up with they will run as long as you need them to.
  20. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tripped1 I completely agree. Every Ducati I ever had was always reliable. Some of the early 750 kickstart models were bears to start when it was 0 Centigrade or less. The key is the maintenance. Keep them up! Owners of beaters seem to always squawk. The same charge of unreliability and high maintenance is leveled at KTMs. I use a KTM EXC-F 500 as a dual sport. It is a race bike. I maintain it and it just screams. It is a bit over the top and I'm considering the DS instead. Question: how easy is it to pick up a DS? I'd probably take it where I take the 500....

Stu