2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. VuTron

VuTron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DS is about 450 lbs wet. 450 lbs is 450 lbs. To me, picking it up doesn't feel magically "lighter". So compared to your EXC, yeah that's 200+ lbs.

Compared to a BMW GS, different story. It's all relative.
    danketchpel likes this.
  2. Stu

Stu Buffo Maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    VuTron,

You're correct. The only Scrambler I've ridden has been the Icon which is lower to the ground and feels light enough to get upright if you drop it in mud or sand. The DS is taller and the center of gravity higher. That might make a difference. Do you think it is about on a par with getting the Icon upright?

Stu
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd think it's a little harder only because the Sled does weigh more than the std Scramblers (it's beefed up) and it's taller.

That said, I find my Sled easier to pick than my Husky 650 only because the Sled seems to have more of it's weight lower on the bike than the Husky. My Husky has gotten heavier up top due to a much beefier and larger radiator I had custom made plus the twin pipes in the rear that came from Oz are over built to NASA standards.

One of things I love about the Sled (and the std Scramblers) is they are air cooled so there's no radiator perched way up high and no issues of it getting damaged in a tip over.
    VuTron likes this.
  4. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Well, although mine has been trouble free, my buddy has an M1200R and nothing but trouble. Started with a weeping clutch slave cylinder after a few weeks, and the quickshifter wouldn't properly work. At some point it started to run rough and would hardly idle. Cylinder head replaced. Problem came back, crank case ventilation reed valve replaced, still runs rough. Next he had a problem with his ABS/brakes. Now it won't shift to neutral nor blip properly on downshifts. Bought new year and a half ago, the guy can ride, maintenance done by well known dealer.. The bike is officially a lemon, he's getting his money back.
  5. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is not a KTM EXC-F 500, its a good ride but a little heavy to try and throw around offroad on a regular basis, some may however disagree, it will do it but without a doubt and it will get you there and back on any road better in general than the KTM, it is a great all around ride ? I would try one first as otherwise you might be disappointed, or you might really enjoy it. Its like a quality multitool of the bike world.
    danketchpel likes this.
  6. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad your buddy is getting a refund on his lemon, they do come along once in awhile.

Ya, some of the Multistradas have had detail electrical problems like fuel level sensors, issues with the ride by wire, etc. It's rarely a key mechanical issue, usually it's related to the fancy electro mojo stuff. It's that same issue that turns me off of modern BMWs, just way too much stuff that doesn't need to be.

It's a key reason I like the Sled, almost no electro mojo (ABS is about is and I have mine turned off) and the throttle is cable controlled, 100% reliable.
    TAS and Fitz Fortune like this.
  7. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I agree, except for one thing. Ever since I ride bikes (about 40 years) I never liked the stiction a cable operated throttle has, and having free play in the throttle. I lubed the throttle tube with powdered graphite and installed UHMW tape under the tube to reduce stiction and reduce the "rattling" around the handlebars. I just love super light operation. Just like lubricating the clutch, shift and brake levers frequently.

However since I got my other bike a few months ago I have seen the light. Throttle by wire. It's the best thing since sliced bread or toilet paper. No free play, no cable drag, and super smooth operation.
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    My only bitch with TBW is that you can't change the throttle throw by cam anymore, and one of my bikes it feels like forever to get between mid and full throttle.
  9. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Riding modes fix that.
  10. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before I got my Sled I read numerous post about dissatisfaction over lazy throttle response and changing out the tube from previous models. At first, I had to get used to the difference over my ride by wire Multi 950 which also has a spacer kit to eliminate slop and is now smooth as butter. After a few rides on the Sled I had no problem whatsoever with the throttle and feel it’s perfectly designed for bike. I’ve had dual sport bikes with twitchy and ill suited throttle response that drove me crazy. I wouldn’t change a thing with the throttle or gearing on the Sled. I also agree that the simplicity of the bike is one of its best attributes. I’ll probably sell or trade the Multi with its sophisticated electronics long before I decide to part ways with my Sled.
  11. mikeyyah

mikeyyah Let's ride!

Oddometer:
    ^ Spot on. I find the throttle response on the DS well suited for the purpose of managing the power delivery when off-road. It's also nice and smooth in traffic!
  12. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    The issue I've always had with RBW and rider modes is quite often they are not very linear or natural feeling and a few I've ridden where much worse then a simple cable throttle, the 1st gen Super Tenere jumps to mind quickly. I have RBW on my Bonneville T-120, it's OK, and I think Triumph does some of the best RBW programming. But..... if you don't like how the factory did the rider mode programming and don't have access to suitable software to fix it, you're stuck with it.

With cable throttles you can change the throttle progression with different cams, G2 based their company off this. For the Sled I ended up making my own custom throttle cam profile and it rocks. Nice and controllable down low then aggressively ramping up with a progressive ramp vs Ducati's goofy late stage ramp up.

I've never had any issues with how cable throttles feel as long as everything is in good working order.

Ducati's 2 profiles (white is the original Scrambler cam, black is the Desert Sled cam) with my profile drawn in on the white one.

[​IMG]

And my custom throttle cam.

[​IMG]
    conrado likes this.
  13. bill777

bill777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of throttle, my bike has around 4500 Kilometers, and I have the feeling there is now quite some play in my throttle before it revs up.
    Like at least 5 mm before something happens.
    Just at the cable exit from the handle there is a threaded aluminium "screw". It seems very tight. Can it be unscrewed to diminish the play, or is it somewhere under the tank ?
  14. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should be able to adjust the cable free play from the adjuster on the throttle housing. I didn't find any other adjustment under the tank last time I had it off. I think the jamb nut is kinda tight from the factory.

Something you might want to look at is inside the throttle housing the cable makes a right angle turn around a post, NOT a pulley, and if it's not greased the cable will wear out the post. It's a very cheesy design.

I suspect you may have some wear in that post which will add to the free play. You can check it by pulling the top cover off the throttle housing. I thought I had a photo of it but can't find it.
    Moto45 likes this.
  15. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For someone to go to the trouble of making a custom throttle cam, with a minuscule difference, and then not post all pics with the same orientation is very, very incongruent. After seeing this, I'm getting off line and will straighten and line up all things on my desk as a sort of cleansing.
  16. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For anyone interested, got my 7,500 mile service completed and the tech told me one valve was out of spec, and the belts were a touch loose. Total cost was $800.
    VuTron likes this.
  17. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That reminds me... do the belts need replacing ever two years or is there a recommended mileage interval? I should check what the manual says but the bike is two years old and just heading into first service.
  18. Caltiger

Caltiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just installed my G2 throttle tamer (700 cam) and Rox risers today....what a nice difference both mods made for me. The riding position let’s me keep my back straight and the G2 makes it easier to get to the power...it’s not twitchy at all...had to adjust the free play but overall a great mod.
  19. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What work was done? Did they put the one valve back into spec (assume so), and is "touch loose" okay? Did they do anything to correct the looseness or was it just a heads up?
  20. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike is two years old. The valve was adjusted back to factory as were the belts according to my paperwork and the service writer.
    danketchpel and WalterMitty2 like this.