2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GrungeCases <hello@grungecases.com> Maybe someone would be interested in these Ducati phone cases ?
  2. Burner29

Burner29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I've got a question for you... how would you guys handle this situation?
    Twice in the span of 10 months my front brake has lost all pressure, as in pull the lever all the way back to bar with zero resistance. The first time happened when the bike was 6 months old. My dealer said "well the brakes should be bled every 12 months anyways so its not abnormal for this to happen". This is on top of my clutch slipping & having no adjustment left at 9300 kms.
    Its going to the dealer tomorrow. They are picking it up as it's not ridable & I don't have time to bleed the brakes.

Between the clutch & the brakes & am beyond disappointed. I am hoping that I don't have a fight on my hands but their initial response to the brake problem isn't encouraging...
    jamboa likes this.
  3. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it still within the factory warranty, if so, it's theirs o deal with, and I'd push it.
  4. tmh

tmh It's A Wonderful Day For Pie

Oddometer:
    Maybe just start off the discussion by saying "Obviously this is a critical safety issue and it is only by luck that no one has been injured or killed", and see where it goes from there.

One would think that if annual brake bleeding was so critical to the brakes working at all, then Ducati would probably have an ignition lock-out which would prevent the bike from starting/running at 12 month intervals until such bleeding was performed...

(Or just call bullsh!t on their previous comment).
    danketchpel likes this.
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a very serious problem with the front brake. Annual bleeding is BS, a decent hydraulic system will not require bleeding for years. Ya, you should to reduce the water content in the system, but I've seen cars go 20 yrs without a bleed and they hold pressure. I've certainly had bikes go plenty long without needing a bleed. He's just feeding you a line of excuses.

I'd press the safety issue for sure and not back down on it for this. The clutch, not sure, that one is harder to nail down, though you're not the first to have clutch problems.
  6. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would find another dealer if possible, those sound like a joke, bleeding even 12 months is not a bad idea but hardly necessary.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Not normal at all. Who the fuck are these dealer idiots who think people fall for this shit! :baldy
    It IS in the manual to replace brake fluid every 12 months, but that is to keep clean fluid in the system. When a brake lever or pedal suddenly does nothing, air has been INTRODUCED into the system, which should never happen under normal circumstance. The hydraulic system is FAILING on your bike. Sounds like a bad master cylinder or a problem with the ABS pump. Any fluid leaks?
  8. Burner29

Burner29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No fluid leaks anywhere, not the first time it happened or this time. This is such bullshit... the exact reason why I avoid going to the dealers for any work. The only reason I'm dealing with them is because it's still under warranty. So far I've held back on saying anything to them about all of this until its in their hands and they get back to me.

At this stage I'm not sure what I'm more pissed off about, the clutch or the brakes. I have never had issues like this on any bike that I've owned let alone a brand new one in such short amount of time. Up until recently I thought this bike was a keeper, now my confidence in the bike & in Ducati is gone. Hopefully this is all handled properly (warranty), regardless my love affair with the Sled is over.
  9. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very sorry to hear about this Burner. I’m expecting your Dealer will make things right, it’s certainly in their best interest to do so. Good call on keeping your cool and give them some time to work the problem. Let us know...
    danketchpel likes this.
  10. Burner29

Burner29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so the bike got picked up this morning by the dealer... just got off the phone them

Clutch - "you have no free play left, you need a new clutch" yes, I know that already, check the adjuster under the tank I used all the available adjustment, what you see at the lever is all thats left. "oh, ok we will talk to Ducati about replacing it under warranty"

Front brakes - "air in the lines, we bled them so they're all good now", no they are NOT all good. This is the second time in a year that this has happened, something is absolutely wrong with the system. "Ok, we'll have the tech take another look"

I told them that I would not be paying for the clutch to be replaced and that I will not be taking the bike back until the brakes are fixed, not just bled but fixed. The fun begins...
  11. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately one of the issue with buying a "Premium" bike is that generally relates to low volume manufacturer, which can also mean the re-use of older tech (Old news I know), I believe that is indeed the issue many have with the clutch, mine also bites until warm, I can live with this as I know it exists and it is not a major issue, the brakes however it seems are a result of the second sometime problem of the dealers not being sufficiently trained, monitored or experienced. Lets be honest how many people have issues like this with a high end Honda, some for sure but not % as many. These are the disadvantages of buying bikes like a Ducati, its sad but true, while on the other hand there are some advantages also, although those advantages are to my mind not exactly practical ones they still have value to ownership, design, individuality, in some cases speed and handling owning to high end parts although this is not so much the case with the Scrambler range ? Each to his own. I purchased my DS like many others I would think on a gut reaction to the bikes look and potential, and not on its practical makeup (Although its simplicity was an attraction), I still think my reasoning was good enough for me, the reaction I get to the bike every time I see it is instinctive, the bike moves me like few others ever have, even considering its faults.

I suspect I may still have my DS long after others have moved no from this bike, my requirements for the bike however are in all probity not as stringent as most, my bike will be use to bumble around Thailand while retired.
  12. Burner29

Burner29 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gestalt - while I agree with you on what motivated the purchased of the bike (it was emotional), but that doesn't mean that I didn't do my homework on the bike before buying. Having previously owned a 1st gen Multistrada I have experienced the joys & pains of Ducati. Foolishly I assumed that things could only have improved with the brand when I decided to buy. One of the main attractors for me was in fact the simplicity of the bike, I just have no need for all the bells & whistles of many of the new bikes. As simple as the Sled is though mine still failed, if anything I expected electronics to go out instead I got a bad clutch & faulty brakes! Will update as this progresses...
  13. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Burner, and I agree with you sorry if I came across differently, the bikes are relatively simple and I like that, therefore they should be reliable, your issues to me sounds like the dealer did not set the bike up adequately in the first place and or fix quality issues in a manner a premium bike should be fixed, that I also blame Ducati for as my feeling is they do not vet or insist on adequate training to the dealer network. As an example my dealership albeit in Thailand is quite large and beautifully put together (Big money spent), it sells Ducati and RE, I have however noted the only guy worth a shit is a guy I have known for years that previously worked at the local Honda main dealership, I hope this is the exception and not the rule I had the same issue years ago in the UK when I owned a Cagiva, back when Cagiva owned Ducati, servicing was very hit and miss.

My friend had issues with his standard type Scrambler in Bangkok, he had all sorts of issues with the dealer, everything even simple issue would take weeks, stuff a Honda dealer would fix for me while I waited (Possible slight exaggeration but not much) , he like a fool as he says tried to contact Ducati Thailand directly, no joy, nothing, no reply for weeks. Have others had this issue, that guy now has a very nice Triumph Scrambler 1200 (The smaller one as Dave has quite short legs). I however given the aforementioned guy at the dealership have been very happy so far but I have put so few miles on the bike that should be expected.

My opinion is that Italian bikes, cars or anything are in general not on par with the Japanese and most western manufacturers and that their dealers reflect than by a similar degree. But dam they do look good.

Lastly, I am not and will never be a RTW rider and yes I know one guy has done that on a DS and had no issues but if I was to attempt that it would not be on an Italian bike. Although I am not convinced the Germans given the number of crappy Chinese parts they now use are all that much better.
  14. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately from what I hear/read here about Ducati service work is that like all other places is people related. Some dealers/techs are good, honest, and actually have skills along with morals. But there seems to be an equal amount that are either lazy, incompetent, dishonest, or a combo of all three.

It's part of what keeps me working on my own bikes though lately I'm musing about finding a very good shop to do the desmo valves cuz the last time I did them on my Sport Classic it was a 3 day affair and I'd need to either rent or buy a shim set. Last time I rented a shim kit and it was still was kinda expensive in the end paying the rental fee on top of the shims I used from it. I no longer have a dealer near by to run and pick up the ones I might need. Fortunately the Sled uses the same shims as the Sport Classic so I might consider buying the dang kit. I'm still mumbling to myself about what to do each time the bike starts and the "miles till next service" flash on the screen. It's like a friggen countdown to future pain like a dentist appointment.

I used to work on my own cars, all of it, but I've grown tired of dropping transmissions on my chest etc. and now have dealerships do most of what I don't want to do. I have been voluntarily "forced" to go back into the mired world of searching out quality people to deal with and trying to run over those that are unworthy, LOL...... well sometimes I'd like to.

For Burner29, I might suggest working with a different dealer if that's an option, though I know they can be spread thin in many areas.
    Fitz Fortune likes this.
  15. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm at about 8600 miles, going on a 300 mile ride this coming weekend (weather permitting) I usually wait till 10k to get the service done, but I might just take it in this month for the 7500 mile service. I was quoted $630 sans oil change. It also needs a chain and sprockets, I can get the kit for $170 and will get a buddy to help me. All in all not bad for 3 seasons, and almost 9k miles.
  16. Chalkie62

Chalkie62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is your cam belt still ok? Do they last any longer from lack of use?
  17. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to what they told me, Cam Belts are every 15k miles or 60 months.
    Chalkie62 likes this.
  18. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    60 months is too long. 15K miles or two years is the generally accepted interval. Would the belts last longer? Probably? But a snapped belt results in serious engine damage so it's not worth it to screw around with.
    Chalkie62 likes this.
  19. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats what Ducati used to like you to think....now all of a sudden the belts last longer...........talk about being taken for a ride.........
  20. Chalkie62

Chalkie62 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I`d just stick to the old 2 year interval for peace of mind. It is an older generation motor after all.