2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Enough room for navigation equipment?
  2. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting as I test rode the same bike. I will say my thoughts and experience pretty much mirrors your's, especially the rear suspension which are quality Ohlins units but sprung waaaay too stiff, just way off the mark. The forks were closer to where they should be. I also noticed the vibration which really surprised me as my Bonneville T-120 based on the same engine is very smooth. It has the very nice trans/clutch which I did expect based on my T-120 experience, Ducati could take a few lessons here along with the tubeless spoked wheels.

I think I'd like the lower XC version much better as the XE is stupid tall, way up in KTM "R" territory. The weight is also up pretty dang high. It didn't feel nearly as nimble as my Desert Sled which I rode to the demo event. It does look nice, Triumph did a good job there. I completely agree they would have done better to build a lighter 900 based (with a 6 spd trans) serious Scrambler but alas, they fell into the same pit as all the other Euro bikes by going huge. I don't get it, maybe that sells well in the EU? But liter plus off-road bikes are not where it's at if you really ride off-road.

Just for reference, I sat on a Ducati Scrambler 1100 yesterday and it felt very nimble and light in comparison and of a much more moderate height, though I understand it has much less suspension travel. But just the basics feel better/lighter. I don't need a Scrambler with 11" of wheel travel, a good quality 8" is plenty, it's not a motocross bike.
    VuTron likes this.
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rather agree with you, not a huge fan of the "pure" Rally style with the tall/forward fairing. I do prefer the clean nose vs the bird beak thing though, Honda and Yamaha did good to keep that look vs following the rest of the beak flock.

I get the need for that type of fairing for the massive Nav equipment needed for a Dakar type event, but for more realistic riding not so much. I suspect the rather vertical fairing does do a decent job of getting wind blast up and over you, though I'd think it'd be horrible in side winds.

It's one aspect of the Yamaha T7 I'm not keen on, but it's better than KTM's cyborg style, just hate that with a passion. At least Yamaha made the fairing clear so it's not so predominate.
  4. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done a couple 250 mile days on the Sled and it's not too bad. Most of that riding was mountain roads with some slab "there n back". Here's the route I did on the last ride for reference to see the mix of mountain vs slab.

[​IMG]

A shot at Newcomb's Ranch on Angeles Crest Hwy.

[​IMG]

At the Rock Inn.

[​IMG]

I have the MRA screen which helps on the wind blast but also increases helmet noise, so a little trade off there. The Barkbusters with Storm guards also help. A better seat is a must, the stock one is good for about 30 minutes or so.

What I've found to be good assets for longer days is the good relaxed ergos (I have moved the bars back with different bar clamps), the very smooth engine, and longer travel suspension not beating you up as much as short travel bikes, though it could be more plush. I don't get as tired riding this as my Sport Classic which to be honest beats the crap out of me, which is why it doesn't get much seat time.
  5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    You only get 5.9, front and rear. The ride is pretty good, on good pavement, but choppy when it gets rough, unless you spring for the Sport version. Then the Ohlins make a world of difference. Regardless of the version, it's only suited to well groomed dirt roads, at worst.
  6. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    danketchpel likes this.
  7. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI- danketchpel, I have the Ducati comfort seat and find it to be quite comfortable. No complaints at all but again I don’t use the bike on long continuous rides. From what I can tell, it eliminates the forward dip with additional padding. I’m 6’- 33” inseam and I have no problem flat footing both feet.
    danketchpel likes this.
  8. Mutley2

Mutley2 n00b

Oddometer:
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm starting my attack on suspension harshness and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a HyperPro 461 fully adjustable rear shock. Does anybody have any experience with HyperPro?

I need to talk to them to find out if the shock can be flipped so the remote reservoir fitting would be on the inside so it doesn't chaff my leg. I also want to see if it's possible to add an Xtrig preload adjuster to the shock. I know it will take a little fiddling but if the size/threads are correct I can handle the rest.

461 Shock installed on Desert Sled.jpg
  10. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Dan, I have had good luck with Hyperpro on a 2010 BWW 650 twin (800 motor). It was very plush, and controllable.

[​IMG]

Mutley, I bought a numberplate off of ebay, cut the headlight shape & then wrapped & bolted it to a MRA windscreen.
    Fitz Fortune likes this.
  11. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    danketchpel- I’m pretty sure I can find the MUPO rep’s contact info in the UK if you want to talk him. I’ve been very happy with the performance on both road and dirt. I’ve never experienced any wheel hop and the rear always feels firmly planted. It’s fully adjustable and specifically designed for the DS. Looks good on the bike too if I may say so.
    A9589AC0-969B-4011-A189-66A06C19E70A.jpeg
  12. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Max, thanks for the feedback on the HyperPro. Where/who did you purchase from?

Thanks Moto45, I'm going to shoot for the HyperPro 461 as I really like the body of the shock mounted at the top and the reservoir mounted on the frame to reduce the unsprung weight. It looks like most of the other shock companies, Ohlins, Mupo, etc. are mounting the shock body down.

BTW, I like what you did with the counter shaft sprocket cover.
  13. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for Hiperpro contact EPM Performance- they are in NJ, 732 786 9777. Hans will be able to answer your question.I do not own this shock but Hans came very highly recommended.
  14. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding the harsh ride issue, I believe the stock tires are a major contributor especially on rough terrain. I only feel it through the front end and handlebars so perhaps my rear shock is compensating properly. I think the tall, stiff sidewalls are the culprit and plan to switch to a different tire at some point. If I did that today it would be a set of Avon Trailriders. They probably wouldn’t perform as good off road but I think they would be better on road and suitable for forest roads which is mostly what I ride. If anyone has experience with a different tire related to the ride comfort/performance please leave some feedback.

Good luck with your project dan. I’ll be interested in your review and any additional modifications you make to the front forks, etc. Evotech makes the sprocket cover.
  15. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I will give them a ring.
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I very much agree with you that the tires are a big part of the problem. Their profile with a short/stiff sidewall doesn't allow the tire to flex much on impact even if you air down. I believe others who've changed to different tires have stated it reduced the harsh feeling. I will also go to the narrower/taller profile tires 150/70 rear and 110/80 front which should improve it also.

My plan now is to pull the tires, tape the rims to go tubeless, then install the Shinko 804/805 tires in the sizes l listed. I hope to get a shock ordered up soon if I can answer the 2 questions. I will fiddle with the fork settings a bit more and see how that goes. I'm way out on both compression and rebound now. A revalve on the forks might be worth while to get a quicker blow off, not sure.

I "suspect" that you're not feeling much harshness in the rear is due to the change in the shock. I believe the OEM rear shock has too much compression dampening and isn't adjustable. I could get it revalved which I'm sure would help, but I want adjustable comp. dampening as I plan to run the bike both 2up or with luggage. That's the reason for the Xtrig quick preload adjuster, friggen hate dealing with threaded rings to change preload for a passenger or luggage.

Thanks for the tip on the sprocket cover, looks cool.
    Moto45 likes this.
  17. Little General

Little General Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys , I sold my DS last week and have a few items lying around. I have a tall Givi windscreen and a set of Rox risers that I didn’t include include with the bike. Make me a fair offer and pay shipping and they are yours. To make it easy , I think I can take a credit card through my company. Here are a few pics of them on my old bike. Email me at
    Chris@charlottebackflow.com

Attached Files:

18. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    In regards to purchasing the HyperPro fully adjustable shock.

Hans was very helpful and I'm working on an order for 2 shocks, one for the Sled and another for my Kawi Z900RS.

When I have it all ironed out I'll post back, plus of course once I get it installed and can give some actual riding feedback.

I am going to use the Xtrig quick preload adjusters on both shocks. I have one of those on my Beta 500 and it rocks. I like them better than the hydraulic type as they are much more compact and don't require any extra hardware mounting etc. They are also very reliable, nothing to leak etc.

Here's a comparison of them by Wilbers. The Wilbers "X-PA" is a rebranded Xtrig adjuster.
    Wilbers preload adjusters.jpg

Here is the one I will be using on the HyperPro 461 shock.
    Xtrig 52x1.5 - Left Universal adjuster.JPG