2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Tristan1035

Tristan1035 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10" and I needed something bigger so I went with a universal windscreen designed for cruisers which definitely made it way better of a ride but was ugly as sin. I took my 2019 across Canada and back just last month and honestly a better seat is my #1 priority, I was always interested in this windscreen since it seemed to be perfect for highway and easily removable but I couldn't find it in stock here sadly.

Holy cow would a bigger tank be nice, I remember there were a fewer sketchy stretches that had no premium and I ended up rolling into gas stations with my bike reading 4km on the range
    danketchpel likes this.
  2. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "What I badly want is a larger fuel tank like what Gestalt has."
    Any progress on that front at all? I find it hard to accept that it's not doable in the US, Gestalt did it beautifully in Cambodia..
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one price estimate for a place that does custom sheet metal work for motorcycles. It's not cheap (~$1,500 painted) and I've held off to see if anything else might come along that was more mass produced. I am kinda amazed that so far nothing has come along considering an entire line of bikes uses the same tank and many are lamenting the limited range.

I have a couple other custom sheet metal places to contact also, but I suspect anything custom won't be "cheap". I also spoke with a guy in Germany that was working on a larger tank for a customer. I liked his first approach, but it didn't suit that customer and the 2nd approach was going far too large as he wanted to ride through Africa. I should go back and ask him about the first approach again.

For reference on Gestalt's tank, I helped him buy it. It was originally modified by a guy in Singapore that wanted to do a long distance ride on his Sled. I found out who he was and some contact info. As I knew Gestalt was in Asia I gave him the info and he was able to purchase that tank and have it shipped to him. He then had it cleaned up cosmetically and repainted in Thailand. I have all the photos of how the tank was originally modified for reference, and that's the approach I'm planning to pursue if I have a custom one done here. I also have to decide if I want to ante up for buying another tank (adding to an already expensive project) to modify allowing me to keep my stock tank.
    PolloLoco likes this.
  4. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a thought without fact-checking- is there a tank made by other manufacturer that is large enough, looks acceptable, fits instead of the stock and needs just mounts modifications or very minor mods? Like I said, long shot, but perhaps somebody looked into it?
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good question. I have not gone down that path yet.

One of things about modern EFI bikes is the whole fuel pump system adds to the complexity of generic swaps. There very well might be something out there that could be made to work. What's a bit odd is that it "seems" like a decent opportunity for a fuel tank company given the number of bikes out there that can accept the same tank, and the number of riders I've encountered in various forums looking for more range.

I think most would be happy with an extra gallon, maybe 1.5 gallons would do it easily and you can keep the same basic shape/profile so doesn't turn into some thing ugly. I'm not interested in some huge 8 gallon Dakar tank. I'd be fine with a plastic tank if it kept the same shape/theme and available in a few colors that made sense, maybe red, black, white, ???
  6. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking- increase of around 1- 1 1/2 gal of fuel. Been trying to look at various bike's gas tanks to gauge if any would be a candidate for transplant,, but obviously the issue is far more complicated. If it would be easy anybody could do it.. but maybe??
  7. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    691A4389-F276-435B-A7E0-D441FD9B6362.jpeg 8905BE26-1DDC-4DAD-802E-2763B08DDED8.jpeg 7AADC6F4-39B5-4299-BC30-8F8375B2A19C.jpeg 9DE4B4B3-E14F-4C78-85B9-9B0A543592E7.jpeg Fall in the Smokies. Mild temps, beautiful color and touring in style on a sweet riding machine.
    CA Stu, Scutty, tonyubsdell and 4 others like this.
  8. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have gone at least 8 miles after the range had read 0 FYI.
    juanfrancisco likes this.
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moto45 likes this.
  10. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden with a friend who has the 19 model which has the fuel gauge. They are not very accurate. (same with my 17 ktm 690 Duke) It's better to go by mileage. I consistently get at least 50mpg. 55 if I keep it under 80 on the highway. I feel comfortable fueling up at 150-160 miles without any worries.
  11. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:
    I second the fuel gauge being worthless. On my 2020 I’ll fill up, it’ll show 220 miles to empty (lol), then drop to 160, back to 180, down to 100, up to 140, down to 80... meanwhile the actual gauge doesn’t move.

why motorcycle manufacturers have such an issue with fuel gauges I’ll never know. Cars seem to have it figured out. This isn’t the first bike I’ve owned with a gauge that is worthless
  12. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    on my '18 the fuel light comes on consistently at 125 miles, but I hardly ever get to 4th gear on the roads I ride.
  13. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    The miles to empty number is always going to vary, depending upon how the fuel mileage is varying.
    danketchpel likes this.
  14. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can get 50 mpg riding in the canyons etc, but it seems out on the freeway it always drops to around 43-45 running ~70-75 mph as the engine is spinning pretty fast. I do wish 6th gear was a bit taller.

I'm sure I'd get better mpg with better quality fuel than what we get here in Kommiefornia. My mpg usually goes up by around 10% when I leave the state, and the price drops by at least a $1/gal.

I usually see the low fuel light come on around 130-140 for sure, often sooner if there's been a lot of freeway, but reserve seems fairly small so I rarely push it much past 150 or so.
  15. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind I'm in the Midwest, no elevation. I also have a Zard Zuma + Booster plug. (not sure if that makes a huge difference) On a trip with my buddy I was consistently using up 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon less fuel. He was on a 19 stock DS.
    danketchpel likes this.
  16. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure about mpg but ethanol free 90 octane makes a significant difference in performance for both my Multi 950 and DS. Thankfully, it’s commonly available throughout western NC and it also reduces concern about varnishing the injectors. Well worth the extra cost IMO.
    danketchpel likes this.
  17. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of any alternate tail rack/top case carrier/rear luggage rack (whatever you want to call it) that fits on the 2019 Desert Sled and works with the Ducati side pannier racks?

I already have the side pannier racks and the soft waterproof bags. They work well for what I need them for (shopping, camping when combined with other stuff). I am in need of a tail rack, however, to load more crap when camping multiple days.

The only one I'm aware of that works definitively is the $305 Ducati Top Case rack (which is what they call it). I'd be open to other alternatives but can't find a definitive answer to the question of:

What other rear tail racks work with the 2019 Desert Sled and Ducati side pannier racks?

Thanks
  18. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Becker do work with the DS stock racks.they don’t with the Unit garage rack to my cost or with a high exhaust again to my cost. Very nice back racks they are very good quality.