2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. blurstedflat

blurstedflat n00b Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was trying to fit the Ducati Soft Bag side racks with the H&B tubular rear rack on my 2018 DS just last night after seeing your old setup @Gestalt but couldn’t get a clean fit on the left or right side. I went back to just the rear rack with soft saddle bags.

It does seem possible with just a little hole enlarging, angle grinding, and maybe some longer screws. Do you remember if you had to modify the rear rack or the side racks?

I can get pics showing the non-fit next time I’m at the shop. I’d love to find a solution.
  2. bill777

bill777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding screens, I tested a few :
    First the MRA, nice but too small, protects me (remember I'm 6"4) up to the chest, but not the throat and helmet.
    I then tried the Touratech, nice angular look, but then an unsteady air flow came right into my face, very unpleasant with an open face helmet.
    I kept the mountings and had a taller screen custom cut with the same design, made the flow in my face even worth. By adding a little deflector on top it was better, so I opted for the AIRFLOW, which is adjustable (without surprise I use it fully streched out). It does not come up to my eyeline, I still see over it, not through it, but the airflow now gets over my head, and even in pouring rain with open face helmet, I get hardly wet. Hourra !
    The mountings are different from the previous ones, the Touratech mounted on the Fork Tee screws, this one is fixed on the handlebar.
    Advantage, it slides down to smaller size within seconds, you can even do it while riding.
    Tristan1035 likes this.
  3. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wrote a long reply then deleted it, maybe I never had the H&B Ducati combination mounted, I thought I did but to be honest I have had that may different combos I am no longer 100% sure. Even after writing this again I am pretty sure I did. I wonder if the H&B rear rack are different.

I now only run with a single Unit garage left hand side rack as I found I did not need the capacity with the warm weather here and the cheap and plentiful hotels.

sorry for not being of more help, my memory is terrible.
  4. blurstedflat

blurstedflat n00b Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you post some photos of your screen setup from different angles plus the mounting?
  6. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so it did fit as that is a Ducati side rack you can just make out the, title lugs on top. Well spotted that man.

Here is a photo of how it looks now with just the UNIT garage rack, I like this as you can easily fit the attachment (has a lock also) to any soft bag with the tricky screw fastenings provided the attachment just fits to any bag and it works great. I dont need anymore that one pannier these days, plus I prefer the uncluttered look of the bike. This bike will be keeper for me, I may add to my collection but this one will be staying.

They as you can see made a beautiful job on finishing the tank from the Frankenstein it was on receipt, the extra 1.5 gallons is reassuring. The orange is Ducati paint from one of the standard Scramblers and the 400, this may not be to everyone’s taste but I really like it.

IMG_20200305_152840_8.jpg

IMG_20200305_152811_8.jpg
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  7. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:
    Man, I dunno what you’re doing with that post processing blur on your pics, but stop it. It’s not a good look.
  8. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just crappy iPhone shots, not sure why they turned out that way, not intentional
  9. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What ?
    juanfrancisco and Fitz Fortune like this.
  10. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Election fraud post deleted. This ain’t the forum for that discussion. Ride on and enjoy freedom in America....while it still exists.
  11. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on. Let’s be educated adults. Get our information from multiple reliable sources. Do our research as extensive as we research our expensive hobbies. Apply that logic and you will expand your views. We all want the same thing. Uber wealthy and powerful people that don’t want to loose control on both sides want to pit us against each other, don’t let them win.
    tonyubsdell and Fitz Fortune like this.
  12. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy fuck. I hope the politics crap is deleted and someone can answer my bike question:

Problem diagnosis please:

2019 Desert Sled, Rexxer tune and Leo Vince slip ons. 1000 miles, no problem.

Went camping last night. Ride up mountain was fine, no issues. Overnight Temp dropped to just above freezing with freezing rain. Was about 3000’ higher elevation than starting.

Had to crawl down a muddy mountain in 1st on way home. Lots of slipping in thick mud, lots of clutch. After about an hour the bike ran very poorly. Would not rev up with full throttle then would suddenly surge forward. Did this multiple times - no power, idle dropped to 500rpms or so, then surging forward.

giving it gas had no effect. No power, then surging.

note the rev indicator would show up to 4000 but the bike wasn’t moving.

Once i got on pavement and wound it out seemed to do better. Haven’t taken it out again.

It almost seemed like after an hour of slow 1st gear crawling it reset the computer or something.

Gas was brand new fresh premium. No issues on ride up so not fuel related.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Fitz Fortune likes this.
  13. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn! All that gear for one night. What’s in the giant tank bag, BBQ grill?
    ckomatz likes this.
  14. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was a test to see what I could carry if I was going for a week or more:

hilleberg saivo, marmot ouray 0 degree, knock off jet boil, three socks, tennis shoes, one pant, two extra underlayment, down jacket, three bottles of water, three meals, nanopresso, coffee, 9mm, bear spray, a book, two lights (tent and campsite), compact chair, aluminum table, Filson fishing jacket (I had a rod but decided to go to a non lake site and the jacket was already packed), Wiggys tent/camp booties and balaclava, exped sleeping mat, first aid kit.

All in a massive Enduro Chase Harper made in USA strap tank bag, Ducati waterproof panniers, and a kriega 30 and kriega 10 and a western mountaineering waterproof stuff sack (for the hilleberg).

now about my engine hiccup...
    tonyubsdell, Moronic and Chalkie62 like this.
  15. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My best guess is a ECU fault. Maybe try a re-tune for starters. I’ve always been reluctant to tinker with the factory brain on anything I own. Everybody I know that has seems to eventually have regrets. Good luck.
  16. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    May be it was overheated?
    ckomatz likes this.
  17. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Evotech sump guard, these guys seem to make quality kit from the items I already have so while I do not do a great deal of serious off road work, here in Thailand when taking the roads less travelled it can and does get pretty serious on occasion quickly, hence this upgraded guard. It is a bit of a shame the stock item leaves so much to be desired, do you think Ducati get a cut from the after market guys, why else make sub standard parts in the first place LOL. Has anyone already purchased this sump guard, any thoughts.

Also hoping to pick up a Lambretta V200 tomorrow to match up with my Vespa GTV 150. It will be useful when bumbling around with visitors, also gives me something else to trick up..
  18. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Change of plan, just ordered and picking up tomorrow a Vespa 300 GTS HPE Super Tech, more money but a slightly better scooter for my needs (More power)
  19. pavelh

pavelh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    danketchpel and Fitz Fortune like this.
  20. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $4100 less 5% as stated but they are very nice indeed. Food for thought for sure. Just ordered that Vespa so I had better be a good boy for awhile to keep the wife less unhappy. They really would finish my DS nicely however.