2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good choice on going with the Vespa instead. The "new Lambretta" isn't a Lambretta at all, and has nothing in common with Innocenti or the Lambretta marquee. They just bought the name.

The Vespa's provenance is strong, if you're into that at all.
    Fitz Fortune likes this.
  2. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update. Rode it 20 miles yesterday to a few stores. Started and ran fine, no power delivery problems whatsoever. Same gas that had been in it the whole trip.

So no definitive source of the poor running problem (if you're familiar with old 2-stroke bikes it felt like it was vastly overrich, meaning you could give it all the throttle in the world and it would just bog and bog and maybe run itself clear and then rev out). Could be a combination of low battery (but it started first stab and I ride it weekly and keep it on a tender if I am not riding it a couple days).

Or could be the fact that once it started it never warmed up and I just started plodding down the mountain very slowly in first slipping and sliding and it never got a chance to do whatever the electronics are supposed to do to make it run right.

Oh well. Running fine now.
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    BART of Italy is offering a couple options for the Desert Sled. But, as far as I can tell it's only available in Italy or shops that work with BART within the EU. I need to find out if they will ship to the States. From my searching it appears all work is done at the BART factory unless you buy complete wheels. I've seen shops in Europe advertising their service but I suspect they are shipping the wheels to BART. They list shipping costs inside the EU, but nothing for overseas.

These screen captures are from their catalog.

BART - Options.JPG

BART - Offerings for Ducati.JPG
  4. pavelh

pavelh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pity Bart is not able to build complete wheels.......

Hello Mr. Horky,
    thank you for contacting us.
    Unfortunately at the moment we cannot produce the wheelset for Ducati Scrambler.
    We only can rebuild the wheel on your original hubs.
    Bests,
    Silvio Dell’Acqua, Bart Factory s.r.l.

Da: Pavel Horky [mailto:pavel.horky@gmail.com]
    Inviato: mercoledì 11 novembre 2020 15:32
    A: info@bartfactory.it
    Oggetto: Request for a set of complete wheels

Hallo,
    are you able to build a complete set of tubeless wheels for Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled?
    Front 3,00x19 and Rear 4,5x17
    If yes, what is the price, please?
    Thank you for answering, with friendly regards from CZ, Pavel Horky
    danketchpel likes this.
  5. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New colorway for '21

Desert-Sled-hero_2.jpg
  6. pavelh

pavelh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More additional info on the situation concerning building complete tubeless wheels.
    Its the same at Haan Wheels and Alpina,It. None of them have the Ducati hubs available. I dont understand , but it is as it is.
    On contrary stock OEM factory built wheel can be obtained as a spare part from Ducati dealers. Price cca 2000,-Euro here in Europe for the set w/o rotors.

Hello mr. Horky, thank you for your interest in our products.
    we have not yet the hubs to build a complete wheels, and we cannot find them at our suppliers.
    At the moment we are working on the development of hubs for Ducati motorbikes, but the covid emergency has slowed everything down and I can't tell you now when we will be able to complete the project.
    As a matter of facts, we already have some prototypes, but we cannot give any guarantees on these because we haven't completed testing.
    Best regards,
    Silvio Dell’Acqua, Bart Factory s.r.l.
    danketchpel likes this.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.

I'd really want the rims to be narrower than stock. I don't know if they can do that if I were to send them my wheels or maybe just the hubs.

In the same theme, I don't know why the wheel builders can't get the tubeless rims like used on the Super Tenere, Vstrom, etc.
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the first phase of my tank ring mount done for the Hepco & Becker tank bag I have. Next I need to make a template for the mount extension plate.

[​IMG]

Doing the spot facing after drilling the existing holes all the way through and tapping them all the way out. These are making use of the existing posts and tapped holes that mount the ring to the inner plastic base. They will serve double duty in the end. I had to make a simple fixture to hold the assembly.

[​IMG]

Of course after putting it back on for now I had to go for a test ride in the local hills.

[​IMG]
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  10. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the look of the 2021 proposed bike, black frame and gold wheels, nice.
  11. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The guys who did the Mint 400 on Desert Sleds laced their hubs to more narrow rims.

You can lace a hub to almost any rim you like, but as been pointed out most wheel builders don't have the hubs on hand so you need to get them to them, or do it yourself.

Any local wheel builder/MC shop can unlace your rims and relace the hubs to excel for skinnier tires - but you're likely still going to have a tube.
    danketchpel likes this.
  12. sunandst4rs

sunandst4rs n00b

Oddometer:
    After two years I'm thinking about moving to a Multistrada 1260S. I'm looking for a more comfy 2-up experience as well as better wind protection and storage. Has anyone gone one way or the other?
  13. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct. I've gotten quotes for doing that from Woody's in CO (~$1,400 for both taped for tubeless using the Outex kit) and Dubya in CA (~$750 for both). Woody's will tape them for tubeless, Dubya won't, but are half the price. Both quotes for using my existing hubs. I didn't ask Woody's for the untapped price at the time. I think I had them quote 2.5" wide for the front and 4.25" for the rear. It seems you can't get a 4.00", the next step down was 3.5" for the rear in 17". Both quotes were for Excel rims and SS spokes.
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want this bike, but is it right for me?

Looking for a street oriented compliment to my KTM 690 Enduro. I'd still ride the 690 on most any dirt/offroad ride. IT's setup perfectly for the type of touring I like to do. It isn't going anywhere.

I've had big bikes in the past. Ones that I could do lots of miles in a day, and run errands on. I might go that direction, but rather not. Mostly, I want a street-ish bike that I can ride the many, inevitable graded dirt/gravel roads we have in Vermont, paved twisties, run to the grocery store on (yeah, that means luggage of some sort), and comfortably bang it somewhere for 100-500 miles for lunch. That last bit is where I wonder if its right for me. Kinda doubt it's going to have long distance comfort like my last big bike, a Triumph Tiger 800. Perfect for this kinda thing, but I've already owned one, and that's no fun:lol3:lol3 Oh, and I'm 6'1" and have not sat on one yet, so there's that... Local dealer doesn't have one in stock unfortunately.

Thoughts?
  15. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM'ed you...
    Ishai
  16. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Levain, I previously had a triumph street scrambler and it was great, that said once you change the seat the DS is just as good in everyday and far more responsive. Maybe the new standard seats are better I dont know, the old 2018 seats are pretty poor for distance.
  17. Tristan1035

Tristan1035 n00b

Oddometer:
    This bike is certainly a lot of fun and for offroad it's plenty capable, for distance is where it loses some of its charm I won't lie. I road 10000km over 2 weeks in September going across Canada and I can tell you there were some times that I didn't even want to think about the Ducati, but I blame that on the pisspoor idea of seat that is on the bike, for 3 hours you'll be fine anything longer than that, like say 14 hours across the prairies, you'll maybe need a massage once your done.
    Luggage wise there is a few options but not a large amount, my personal vote would be for the Kriega saddlebags with some Ebay mounts or the givi hardcases.
    About height, my father is 6'4" and he found the bike to be incredibly comfortable and he looked normal on it.
  18. Ishai

Ishai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    " I blame that on the pisspoor idea of seat that is on the bike, for 3 hours you'll be fine anything longer than that, like say 14 hours across the prairies, you'll maybe need a massage once your done" - I suggest you try the Sargent seat. 5-6 hours backroads rides is not a problem for me. I have not done a 10,000 km ride on mine, but find the Sargent far superior to the stock '18 seat. Before I got that seat an hour would be painful.

Ishai
  19. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m 6’2” it fits great but sitting in the saddle my dick goes numb after 20 minutes.

if I am up and down I’m fine. I need a new seat but I’m cheap.
    cozmo2312 likes this.
  20. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never owned a bike that I didn't swap the seat. We'll, other than a buell ulysses. That one worked. And, I've had a sargent, so no problem there!

Local dealer won't have one in stock until January, when the roads are frozen solid. Not sure if they do demo rides in winter around here. No problem for me, but..

In general, newer is usually better, but cycle trader shows a fair amount of leftovers from 2018 on up. Is there somewhere that someone has spelled out the changes over the years?

Thanks. Bike is looking great ao far!