2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem with the stock seat is the seat pan, this "feature" protrudes upward and is what causes varying levels of discomfort depending on the size of the rider and how close they are to it. As the rather poor stock foam compresses over ride time the more it will feel like it's pushing upward into you. I suspect the reason a tall person might not be as affected is they are sitting further back and way from this abomination. If you want to fix the seat on the cheap, remove the cover and foam, cut away this lame feature, fill in the opening with some plastic or sheet metal, then replace the foam and cover.

20180424_221039-1.jpg

I agree with you, the stock seat felt fine in the showroom, but about 45 minutes of riding and I couldn't wait to get off.

The Sargent seat fixed all that and now I'm good with long days in the saddle, at least as much as any other bike with a good quality seat. I'm no Iron Butt rider that's for sure, but replacing the seat does wonders for this bike like many others.

For any real distance riding I'd want a larger windscreen for sure as the continuous wind blast is the next most tiring factor for me. I suppose I could put up with the limited fuel range as long as I wasn't crossing any super remote areas, or I'd need to bring the rotopax jug along.

But honestly, as my bike sits now I find it one of the better in the garage for longer distance rides, especially now that I've got the suspension behaving like it should so it's not beating me up. I need to get my luggage better sorted out for some extended rides.

Hopefully next year will be more conducive for travel, grrr.... This COVID BS is putting a cramp in my style.
    PilaniSled and Tristan1035 like this.
  2. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have a link or part numbers for replacement clutch plates and springs for a 2017 DS? I've been searching everywhere and am coming up short. It seems the DS clutches are quite different from the other Scramblers and more similar to the 821 bikes. OEM would be fine, but a high quality aftermarket would be better I think.

15k miles and this clutch is toast. Free play looks good, but slips like crazy if I roll on the throttle at 4k RPMs and up. I've heard some horror stories already for getting it sorted on early bikes, but nobody shares a link or part numbers, and for some strange reason none of the parts fiches are online for the Scrambler models.
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct, it's not the same as the standard Scramblers, it's basically the 821 clutch.

If I were you I'd buy the 821 clutch pack (plates) and 821 springs. I have purchased the 821 clutch pack and compared them, they are the same except the 821 has 1 thicker steel plate, which I suspect increases clutch preload. I did not put them in yet as I was uncertain about the stack height. But several shops have told me the 821 clutch pack and maybe the springs are a good fix, but I haven't done it myself. I did take mine apart which is when I discovered the difference, it didn't match the parts diagrams for the std Scramblers at all.

The part #s for the 821 clutch parts are;
    The clutch disc set (friction and steel plates) is 19020232A
    The springs are 79710721A

Here's a shot of my 2017 Sled clutch for reference. It's a slip n grip clutch (usually called just a slipper), the ramps in the pressure plate work both directions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the parts diagram I found for the 821 clutch

[​IMG]

And the 821 part number listings that went with the diagram.
    Part numbers list.JPG
    goodcat8 and PilaniSled like this.
  4. Fitz Fortune

Fitz Fortune Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan, after reading this I found your previous post on this topic where you also noted that the Ducati parts catalogue is just plain wrong on this.

I will delete my post to avoid spreading confusion, although it does appear that Ducati got there before me :-)
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries, it's confusing.

I think they changed the clutch internals in 2019 when they went to the hydraulic clutch. That clutch is supposed to work much better and it's been recommended to me to swap to that one. But I haven't confirmed it's a drop-in replacement and it's buying the entire unit, basket, hub, pressure plate, friction/steel plates, springs, most likely hub bearings, etc $$$$$$$.

I've already purchased just the 821 clutch pack and it was over $300 and that was at a club discount.
    Fitz Fortune likes this.
  6. PilaniSled

PilaniSled n00b

Oddometer:
    <posting a previous reply from scramblerforum>

I recently installed the Evotech skid plate on a 2018 DS, easy install and superb build quality.

Surprise - I actually didn't realize this when buying the Evotech but it actually replaces the stock plate. This was a bit disappointing because I liked the broader (even though limited and thin) coverage of the stock plate, especially the bottom of the pipes.

Solution - drilled holes in the stock plate and replaced the bolts with longer sturdier ones. So both the plates sit nice and flush together. Here's a photo.

Afterthought - should paint the stock plate black. It will make for a nice consistent black underbelly
    IMG_20200829_184729.jpg
  7. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your idea, looks good and adds to the cover. I will do the same.
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    PilaniSled;

That's a dang good idea, thanks for sharing that. I might just do the same myself.

I've been hoping a really good skidplate would come along but nothing really has. I'm not expecting a proper "Bash Plate" as there's nothing of substance to mount it to, but I'd sure like better coverage than stock. I've been kicking around just adding onto the stock plate or possibly doing something like the hybrid approach you did. I really want something that extends further to the rear covering the springs that hold the pipes together. I'm at the stage of just forming a separate covering plate from aluminum and mounting it on the pipe section with clamps.
    PilaniSled likes this.
  9. thereal853

thereal853 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the sled out to moab - did about 400 offroad miles in 5 days . I’m a sore dog - this was first run with the earle motors extenders and big wheel kit . It made the offroad stuff very enjoyable
    And took everything I threw at it . Soft sand , dunes and slick rock . That stock seat sure sucks but spent more time standing than anything .

we scouted the top of the world trail in the Jeep - I think I can make it up on the duc ....I wonder how many Ducati’s have been to the top of that trail
    Next time !

Attached Files:

10. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What did you do for a front wheel? Or rear for that matter?

the front is definitely a pig.

I think I saw your wheels on CL so you used others?
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  11. thereal853

thereal853 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had woodys wheel works in Denver lace up excels. On stock hubs
    18/21
    Custom galfer lines
    Earle extenders

yes I’m
    Trying to sell my stock set , not switching back anytime soon it’s too big of a hassle
    tonyubsdell, ckomatz and danketchpel like this.
  12. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried, them both on, did not like the look, back to just the Evotech. I had the local Honda dealer fit them both times, saves me the hassle in this heat. 50 Baht, well less than two Dollars, got to love it in Thailand. That included spraying it black.
  13. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    2FE7D348-3969-42EC-84EA-93E0A07117E9.jpeg

Well, I think you were both right. Got a good look at it today. Going to order a Barnett set with springs for the Scrambler line.
  14. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My three Italians (Well ok two are not really Italian, the DS is Thai and the Vespa GTS150 is Vietnamese, the 300 HPE Supertech however really is Italian, honest). The photo really does showoff the extra width of fabricated tank modification (5 gallons baby, 232 miles at last test, green lanes and roads, some at speed) I love this DS, riding up to Chang Mai in the next couple of days, just there of 3-4 days probably, depends on what I find, no rush to get back, all depends, wife seems happy to see me go. (LOL, why did she wait all these years until I an old man).

IMG_20201110_141329_5.jpg
  15. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's interesting. What year is your Sled and where was it built? You can tell where it's built by the Mfgr label on the frame. If it says Ducati Motors Ltd, it's Thailand, if it says Ducati Motors S.p.A. it's Italy.

I'm super curious to know as that clutch is totally different than mine.
  16. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a 2018, built in Thailand and the clutch fine ? It is not hydraulic and thats the way I like them, nice and simple (Just like me). I hear people have issues with finding neutral but after around 3000km that ended for me, neutral every time, no issues. It is off for it 6000 km service next week at which time it will get the rims taped to become tubeless (Fingers crossed it works, some Japanese brand of tape) Just done around 1200km over the last few days on a run up in northern Thailand, loved every minute. I enjoy this bike so much more than my old BMW adventure, much more flickable. I added the standard offering high pipe and have noticed it is easier to wheelie, not something I am all that happy about, that and the lose of a pannier.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  17. MaverickNC

MaverickNC Gnarly Dude

Oddometer:
    It's a 2017, and I will check manufactuer site this evening when I get home.
  18. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice defender in the background!
  19. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Conrado, it is a 1960 Series II SWB, long before the Defender series. Although in truth it does have Defender axles and brakes and a Toyota 3.0 diesel engine. The body and trim are all as shock. I wanted it to be useable on todays roads, that required the modifications.
    tonyubsdell likes this.
  20. bill777

bill777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here are some photos of my screen :
    2020-12-08 17.09.15.jpg 2020-12-08 17.09.42.jpg 2020-12-08 17.09.53.jpg