1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. 900exdriver

900exdriver n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    this guy has been throwing Unit pieces at his Sled. Not sure he’s on here. I know he’s on the FB group. https://youtube.com/c/ArrickMaurice
    Applecrate likes this.
  2. Tristan1035

Tristan1035 n00b

Oddometer:
  3. olli_darjeeling

olli_darjeeling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The design looks stunning, but it’s a lot of money just for the looks and better off-road capabilities. A 21“ front wheel might be a better place to put your money if you really want to take her into rough terrain.
    I’d have preferred if they slightly increased the fuel capacity to give the bike a bit more range.
    tonyubsdell and danketchpel like this.
  4. ckomatz

ckomatz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do not think anyone has bought this kit in the US yet, the shipping alone from Italy almost doubles the price!
  5. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    I noticed Motostorm.it, which carries a ton of Unit Garage stuff and has great pricing, doesn't carry the kit. I guess you'd have to get it direct. Unit Garage has a map of resellers but I doubt the shipping price is discounted with the boutique resellers they have listed. It's pretty clear that to do the bike right (like Arrick Maurice is doing) could be very costly -- maybe double the bike's price. I don't even want to know what Maurice paid for his monster projects. Beautiful though.
    ckomatz likes this.
  6. ckomatz

ckomatz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am hoping that earle motors come out with more bespoke parts in the US for these bikes. The scrambler line is Ducatis #1 seller, beating the monster! and there is clearly a demand for customization. I think the mint 400 class win further shows how capable this bike is with the right setup. Time will tell though.
  7. Applecrate

Applecrate Smell It First

Oddometer:
    Will the next desert sled be based upon the new monster? No trellis frame, lighter, etc.?
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt it very much.

So far I'm "guessing" Ducati is going to keep the existing lines going while developing the V4 based bikes in parallel.

But... I'd be willing to trade in my Sled if they brought one out w/o Desmo that had 36k mile service intervals! I friggen HATE the 7,500 mile valve checks and might start pushing them to 10k.
    ckomatz and juanfrancisco like this.
  9. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    You can, and higher intervals with stronger valve retainers.
    https://emsduc.com/product-category/mbp-retainers/
    danketchpel and juanfrancisco like this.
  10. juanfrancisco

juanfrancisco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Do you have experience with these? I already push my valve adjustments to 10k. I wonder what would be the safe range with this setup? 12k??
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put those in my Sport Classic and am planning to put them in my Sled when the time is right. They are definitely an improvement and help to keep the clearances from changing as much.

I think I'd be comfortable going to 10k miles with those installed. I think after a couple of checks after they are installed you will get a feeling for what's practical.

My personal opinion is once the valves have been checked the first time and adjusted as needed, after that the interval can be increased but maybe a 2nd check around 10k after the adjust will tell what you what's reasonable. Those stupid little pieces of cut wire are NOT the best and distort under pressure.

Here's how they look in comparison.

MBP vs OEM collets.jpg
    juanfrancisco likes this.
  12. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    ^ What he said.
    One of the many Ducati myths is that they use nothing but the finest ____. And like all myths there's a little bit of truth in it, but the reality is that they cheap out on a lot of stuff, one of them is the shitty wire...WIRE they use for the valvetrain. You can even see above where Luigi cut it. Really Ducati????
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  13. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Hey so lately I've been eyeballing these lead sleds.... I mean, desert sleds and thinking I might replace my VStrom with one and curious if anyone has done that, and if so, why??? Would you do it again or stick with the VStrom? I feel like I might really miss the wind protection of the fairings. I could easily attach a windshield for wet winter commuting, but my legs would get cold???? :dunno
    Thoughts on that and anything else?
  14. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed the Touratech windscreen which worked excellent for me. My Legs don't get cold, but hands do, so I installed heated grips (or you can wear heated gloves). Seat is another issue on my 2018. Most ppl upgrade the seat.
  15. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    To what? Corbin...Sargent....???
  16. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't upgraded my seat bc the 2018 DS is my second bike and I primarily use it for off road (which I do a lot of standing, plus I'm just cheap about it and don't want to spend the 500 for a Sargent). However, a lot of people do like the Sargent. I think seat concepts has an upgrade kit also and they are very good seats as well. Also the newer bikes do have an improved seat.
    You can see the Touratech screen here.
    GOPR0249.JPG
  17. bill777

bill777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here a closer view of the Touratech
    2017-11-29 00.21.18.jpg
    danketchpel and motoman12 like this.
  18. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the model number/reference for that screen? I don't see it on Touratech's website.

I'm interested in something like that for longer distance rides.
  19. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just had my valves done (7,500 miles from new) a couple weeks ago, interesting results. Basically almost all of them were out of spec except for one. And one of the intakes was at zero clearance on the opener, not good. Also, the tech found one of the stupid cut wire keepers had cracked so he replaced it.

So...... would I push it to 10k? Not sure without upgrading to the EMS keepers and I plan to do that at the next valve service. I would have done it this time if I'd known how bad they were. It really sux, it needs to be better as it basically makes me not want to ride the bike as much as I'd like. What's more annoying is every time you start it the service minder countdown shows like some damn hourglass timer to the next too frequent service. I friggen hate that. Dunno....., grrrr.
  20. bill777

bill777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The reference was 01-621-6220-0 Windscreen, L, transparent, for Ducati Scrambler
    is seems it is not for sale any more.
    I sold it because the air stream came right into my face, not pleasant.
    Instead, I installed a Givi Airflow. even bigger, but great protection...
    danketchpel and motoman12 like this.