1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. olli_darjeeling

olli_darjeeling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tough question as it depends on the rider really. If you take the low seat, the DS will be the same height as the G310GS, but with ~80lbs more on the hips
    I'm 5'9 with a 31" inseam and have a DS with the low factory seat, but will get a standard seat because I found the low seat a bit uncomfortable on long rides. My last bike was a KTM LC4 640E, which was like 35" seat height. This put me in about the same spot as you with the DS, but the KTM had a slim waist and like 110 lbs less weight which made it really easy to balance in case of unexpected stops.

If you feel uneasy on the BMW, I'd suggest to order the DS or UE fender, have it wrapped in your bike's color and mount it on the ICON. I am not too familiar with the Urban Enduro but I think apart from the fender and the brown seat, there is not any difference.

If you really really want to get the DS, here's some motivation to go for it

Ride safe!
  2. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool paint job! .... Ummmm and???? That's it???? I thought for sure there would be some REAL Fasthouse parts on as a kit. Not even a Term exhaust. Any recalibration of suspension for off road? Race Tech front suspension ? No. Shock upgraded? No. Barkbusters? Nope. Pirelli Scorpion Rally (non STR) tires? Nope.

But PAINT!!!

OK ... My DS is staying with me!
    fasteer, danketchpel and tonyubsdell like this.
  3. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The shock can be set pretty soft, allowing some extra sag (idk your weight). I have a 30" jeans inseam, but true 29". I'm used to high bikes (motocross) and I can manage just fine at lights and around town. The challenge would be trickier for off road. Where do you want to go? Hill country asphalt? Loose gravel rocks at stop signs are an easy place to slip if you can barely reach.
    What about Off road in Mason? Sand? Watercrossings? Those are the slow speeds that will challenge you.

UE is NOT the same as the DS. The DS was specifically reinforced for off road. The frame has extra gusset tubes where the frame would collapse and crack the engine crankcase on the UE. Slow speed flat dirt roads you would prob be ok. Not 60-80 mph off road, even on dirt roads. There are a few youtube videos detailing the differences in the frame build on the DS.

Also, you could always get an inexpensive dual purpose to practice and develop your skills for the DS later.
    juanfrancisco and Baroquenride like this.
  4. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    I own the Monster sibling of the Desert Sled. I have sat on a DS at a dealership and like the feel of it. I like the motor/power of the 803cc L Twin. I could see myself owning a Desert Sled. The air box with the throttle body inside of it has me wondering if a foam oiled air filter could be used in place of the paper one. What is the low down on oiled air filters in a DS?
  5. ckomatz

ckomatz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The air filter on this bike is not like a dirt bike oil air filter at all. It is a different shape (cylindrical( and mounted in a unique way. The stock and K&N filters have done a great job of keeping sand out of my air box here in florida so I do not see a reason to use an oiled filter. The air filter is kinda a PITA to setup so I do not think you would like changing it out very often. Also, you run the risk of gumming the throttle body up with an oil air filter.
  6. Moto45

Moto45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the most important differences in the frame is the swingarm pivot is now in the frame proper, not just the engine cases like the std Scrambler line.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  9. 4321aldo

4321aldo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi from Tasmania.
    I thought that some of you may like to see the seat that I've had made for my bike. I had it done because (A) I'm only 5'7" and I was hoping to have some foam removed (B) I thought that the bike would look better/be more practical for me with a single seat and rack, and (C) standard it was as uncomfortable as buggery. So I gave the original seat to some clever friends, and this is what they came up with....
    In respect to their aims, I think that they've done pretty well.
    (A) So so luck here, as there is not a lot of foam on the standard seat, but they have relayered it with better grades of foam and got the height down by about 10mm
    (B) I think that it looks better and the rack works a treat. Beautiful workmanship
    (C) The original seat had my arse starting to whimper after 30 minutes....now that doesn't start for about 105 minutes, and not at all if I chuck a bit of sheepskin on it
    All in all, much improved.
    I now have my forks stanchions through the triple clamps @21mm, and softened the rear preload, and at 80kg can put my feet firmly on the deck now, whilst the bike still is a weapon on the road.
    After struggling with it for three years from new, I had thought to sell it, but it's a keeper now.
    Bully for me!
    Aldo

IMG20201130190048.jpg
  10. ckomatz

ckomatz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet setup, I would love to ride Tasmania, it sounds like a paradise for the sled with so many unpaved roads and wild areas.
    danketchpel likes this.
  11. 4321aldo

4321aldo n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, we're pretty lucky down here. Corners everywhere, no traffic to speak of, nice scenery.....I'm sure that you'd enjoy it if you can get here one day (?!).
    Love to see you.
    Anyway, I sold an '81 P/D to get this bike, and it's perfect for our bumpy bitumen and good quality dirt. Sorry about previously posting three of the same picture...I'm new to this..

Attached Files:

danketchpel and olli_darjeeling like this.
  12. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I was able to install the Ducabike billet brake and shift levers with folding tips. They are pricey, but effective. The shift lever has a slightly different leverage ratio (lower = more leverage) which improves the shift feel some making feel a little less "notchy" and smoother. That was an unexpected surprise. The brake lever is the same as stock.

In these photos you can also see I've added the plastic "toppers" to the PivotPegz as I was finding them too aggressive for daily riding. It was hard to move my boots around for shifting/braking etc. I like them better with the toppers on. Though I'll be honest, they jury is still out on whether I like these pegs or not. So far, I think I prefer the SW-Motech pegs I have on a couple other bikes and if they ever come back in stock may end up on this bike also. I'll give these PivotPegz a chance.

I will see how the simple rubber covered tip works out for the brake lever. I may fabricate a cleated tip for it if I find it not grippy enough for off-road. For road riding it seems fine.

20210328_172227-1.jpg

20210328_172244-1.jpg
  13. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's OK, we'll waive it this time, LOL.... next time, we wanna see some of that fabulous Taz riding area.

BTW, sweet Guzzi in the back ground there! I love Guzzis, got a 2013 Stelvio now and looking to get the new 100th Anniversary V7 850 Special this year.
  14. AnotherHobby

AnotherHobby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't posted here in quite a while, but I'm still rockin' my sled 4 years in! I go on several mulit-day ADV style moto camping trips a year, and I've been getting by okay with the Kriega Duo's that are 14L each, a 40L wolfman dry duffel, and a wolfman tank bag. It's been tight, but I've gotten by just fine. Today was a big upgrade though! I just added a pair for Touratech 31L Zega Pro panniers. Each one has about the same usable space as the pair of Kriega side bags I had.

I bought a Holan rack off a nice guy on another forum who has an Icon and bought it thinking it would work. The tubing is 18mm, which is the same size a Touratech, so I knew I could move the mounting pucks if I had to and it would work, though I wouldn't be thrilled about drilling more holes. Didn't matter anyway, they line up 100% perfect to the mm! It's like Holan just used Touratech's hoop size EXACTLY. I had to shave a tiny bit off one corner of one mounting puck on each pannier because it was hitting one of the support bars, but other than that, it was a flawless hook up. It feels VERY solid. I'm super happy about this!

I haven't gone on a ride or even let the bike idle yet to see if the exhaust heats up the pannier. I think it could at idle, but probably fine on the road. I might get the same Leo Vince exhaust as danketchpel has two posts up. I think that setup would keep the exhaust clear of the pannier. I just need to have my nephew make me a similar bracket.

I'm also thinking I need to do something about my blinkers hiding inside the panniers. Fine from behind, but not at an angle on a freeway.

IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_7791.jpg
    IMG_7790.jpg
    IMG_7789.jpg
    IMG_7782.jpg
  15. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow AH they my friend they look factory fitted, I have a feeling a few others will be following your example in short order. Well do bubba seems a near perfect answer to a real issue ! Great job I want !!!
  16. olli_darjeeling

Oddometer:
    Well done [mention]AnotherHobby [/mention]!
    That’s probably the best rack money can buy for the Sled. I thought about getting it but was concerned it might not work well with a tidytail. Looking at your pics, even my giant German license plate might actually clear the arch around the back.

About the indicators I was thinking that some of the tidy tails have a mounting points for indicators on the sides, behind the license plate. Maybe you can add a small bracket to yours. That would put the indicators further back and behind your cases.
  17. olli_darjeeling

Oddometer:
    It’s such a pity with the exhaust pipes. The look beautiful, but the placement is totally stupid. I had a KRIEGA Bag dangling in about the same distance on several 1hr commutes and it didn’t melt, so I would not be too worried about the cases. You could also protect the left case with a sticky heat shield and see how hot it gets.
  18. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DS still pulls at my heart strings. If I could justify more bikes, one would be in my garage.
  19. AnotherHobby

AnotherHobby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The factory shotgun termi exhaust pulses made direct contact with the Touratech panniers I installed at idle, and probably even when riding. Rather than use it for cooking, I got a LeoVince GP Style exhaust. The exhaust exit clears the pannier completely, and no heat is transferred to it at all. It's perfect! This exhaust is for the regular Scrambler and the bracket it comes with will not fit a DS, so I made my own bracket from 1/4" flat stock aluminum. With the little db killer plate installed in it, it's pretty much the exact same volume as the termi that I took off, so I'm super happy with that. I didn't want anything louder. This is a really nice slip on for only $450 shipped. I'm ready to go on my next adventure now!

IMG_7823.jpg

The center of the exhaust pulse is at the palm of my hand in this pic:

IMG_7819.jpg

Attached Files:

Comrade Arturo and JohninVT like this.
  20. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever try to convert a regular scrambler to desert sled or better spec? Seems like it would be just a matter of wheels and suspension? Am I missing anything? I have gotten the scrambler itch after selling my 790ADV the scrambler looks like it would be better for in town riding.