2017 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Rorider, Nov 8, 2016.

1. VuTron

VuTron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Zaz

good to see you here mang! great first post... can't say I disagree with anything. I think most of the weak points you mention are pretty universal, with exception to maybe the fake skid plate we have. We've talked about this before... still waiting for someone to make something!

(since you first mentioned LAB2V at highpipe, it's been on my mind.... hmmmm)
    Zaz likes this.
  2. VuTron

VuTron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Zaz

how do you like the TKC80s? both front and back?
    Zaz likes this.
  3. Zaz

Zaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've made it to the dark side!

And you are absolutely right - thankfully all DS fortification mods are pretty universal, which is a good things for all of us.

We should think of assembling a group of DS riders to do the LAB2V ride!

I'm pretty sure I could get the folks I know at Ducati North America behind us on that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. bduke0101

bduke0101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Just wanted to warn others that this might happen.

Max Kool, VuTron and Zaz like this.
  5. Zaz

Zaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I completely love them!

At slow speeds you can clearly feel the knobbies, feels like I'm riding a tractor. Haha

On-Road - Super sticky, even when riding pretty hard (though I'm not plowing through corners at 80mph)

Off-Road - Front goes where you want it, and very predictable. Though sand with our 120 front can still be tricky regardless of knobs.

VuTron likes this.
  6. VuTron

VuTron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would be awesome: Team Desert Sled.

I suppose this thread would be a good starting point to gauge interest. For those not familiar, this rally is billed as the "largest" 2-day dual sport ride in the world. It's held on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Ride is from LA>Barstow>Vegas.

Here is official website: http://www.labarstowvegas.com/
    Fun recap article: https://rideapart.com/articles/lab2v-holy-grail-dual-sport
    Zaz likes this.
  7. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Matter of time before someone starts selling a shift lever with a fold away tip... (I hope this may help a little).

For an LAB2V ride I think I would still use my DR650, just because
    thomas.vancouter and VuTron like this.
  8. iismatthew

iismatthew Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta give me some info on that auxiliary light you have set up there.
    Zaz likes this.
  9. Zaz

Zaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha Your right, I couldn't let that slide.

So what your looking at here is a PIAA LED driving light that I've mounted on my left hand side handle bars.

The equipment used was:

LP530 Ion Yellow 3.5" LED Driving Light
    PIAA universal light mounts.
    PIAA powersports wiring harness

All were purchased on Amazon for around $250.00. I only purchased a single light, but pairs are available too.

So far I love it, light shoots a narrow long beam which gives me a nice view of the road ahead during night riding, and also makes me more conspicuous to oncoming vehicles.

I have it wired so that it is always on, however there is a switch included with the harness that allows me to turn it off should the law or whatever other reason require.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

baachor, wipe-out, goodcat8 and 5 others like this.
  10. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    The yellow plate & dart screen look good together Henry. On the power as compared to the Triumph Scrambler, the Ducati doesn't pull down low for sure. But from 4K on it is a real powerhouse, IMO. I just keep in each gear a little longer.
    I like your tank bag too!

henryII likes this.
  11. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    I just finished a 3 day 1100 mile ride (2600 miles total now). We rode about 150 miles of off road, and I blitzed it with my friends 1190. The bike moves out off pavement very well. I would say the suspension continues to get better. I also went 104 mph on gravel roads twice (!)- it has good stability in general.
    Epic 3 days for me on the Ducati.

[​IMG]

I had a big fail with my Kriega bags. The straps do not lock well when you wrap them back through the clips. The clips need serration, or velcro on the straps.
    I lost the straps on the trail & had to re-fasten my bags with Rok straps lol.
    Live & learn.

[​IMG]
    baachor, Dakar Dan, goodcat8 and 8 others like this.
  12. iismatthew

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if I can find a way to mount it on the bottom right, tucked right up to the head light without permanently modifying anything on the bike. Thanks for the info.
  13. thomas.vancouter

thomas.vancouter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't have as much miles as you Zaz but almost everything you described I experienced as well :) good the hear that the tkc 80 are a good fit. Will buy them when the pirrelli is finished.

What crashbars did you buy from Evotech?

Edit: the crash protection bobbins right? Any other options available already?

Zaz likes this.
  14. Zaz

Zaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey buddy,

So the bars on my Scrambler are by SW-Motech, here's a link:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-crash-bars-ducati-scrambler-2015

Evotech do make a set of bobbins as well, but I personally don't have much experience with the bobbins style crash guards. I also believe Givi have a set of crash bars available, as of now those are all that I'm aware of - but I'm sure other universal ones exist too.

15. Zaz

Zaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's funny you mention, I initially had intentions to do the same.

The problems I ran into were in finding a position for the light that was not being obstructed by the front wheel and fork. Also in the event of a tip over, I was concerned the light would break off or bend into the actual frame or engine if the ground were anything other then flat.

Personally I think it would look great mounted on either side of the crash bars. Will be curious if others have better luck sorting it out then I did.

16. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    (crosspost from scramblerforum)

So, I just rode in to work after installing the pre 2017 throttle tube. Yep, only city traffic, and I looove the "new" throttle tube.

Now I have the throttle response I expected from a V twin. (the throttle response was slower than from my uncorked DR650, which is odd)

Serious guys, if you are looking for any performance enhancements for your Sled, get it! Yes yes, I know a different shaped throttle tube won't add any dyno measurable performance. It's the same bike and in regards to wfo performance nothing changed. But it feels better, especially the midrange response. Crisper.

The twist needed to get some decent acceleration has improved greatly! Think of this as a crude form of the programmable riding modes we see on more sophisticated bikes (with ride by wire). Nothing too explosive btw, I would still take it offroad.

btw, one thing you need to be aware of is to take as much stiction out of the throttle as possible, which means carefully cleaning the tube and the bars before install (you may want to add some powdered graphite between the tube and the bars), and putting a little grease on the side of the ridges of the tube that are inside the housing. Throttle stiction can ruin your ride...

happy hunting!
    VuTron, Pacote, henryII and 2 others like this.
  17. AnotherHobby

AnotherHobby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You've convinced me to try it. I do miss the quicker throttle my 2015 Icon had on the road. I wonder if the 2017 engine is just smoother anyway and is less snatchy with the 2015 throttle.

My brother has a 2015 icon. I'm going to swing over there in the next week or two angle give it a go. If I decide I want something in the middle, I can get to the G2.
  18. iismatthew

Oddometer:
    Are the pre 2017s less sloppy? Was looking at the G2 throttle tubes b/c they have a more "premium" feel to them. When I go over bumps I can feel the throttle move around on the bar.
  19. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Same with the previous years.
    iismatthew likes this.
  20. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend on a AT and me, took a ride. Small mountain, gravel roads. I nice to just slide the bike while still be able to have a feet down :-)

Just two bikes and the moose using the road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Motosapian, Chalkie62, VuTron and 4 others like this.