2017 f800GSA Suspension Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Bali Davo, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Bali Davo

Bali Davo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Upgrading Suspension : on 2017 f800GSA ???????????

- What’s your opinions on my choices below ?

For my planned front suspension upgrade to the OEM - WP FORKS
    .., I’ve chosen the ; Ohlins Cartridge kit - FKA100 + Ohlins springs to suit weight

Link ;
    https://www.ohlins.com/app/uploads/world/2013/08/OM_07287-01_1.pdf

I could also go Touratech on the cartridges if I decide on a Touratech Shock?
    ————————————-

But for the Rear ..., along with new spring to suit weight ,

..., I’ve narrowed down the rear shock upgrade though to 4 choices .., 2 are ESA compatible, but the last two are not.

My 4 choices are ;

# 1 - Touratech Plug & Travel (ESA compatible) and available in Oz, and I like some of its design features more than the Wilbers.

Link :
    https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Plug-Travel-ESA-Upgrade-Shock-BMW-F800GS-ADV-2013-on

#2 - Wilbers type 644 rear shock (ESA compatible) available in Oz.

Link :
    https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Moto...orber-type-644-WESA-rear.html?cur=5&year=2017

#3 - Ohlins BM303 rear shock STX46 (non-ESA compatible)

Link :
    https://www.solomotoparts.com/Ohlins-STX-46-Adventure-Shockr-F800GS-08-16/

#4 - Touratech Extreme Rear Shock
    Link :
    https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Touratech-In-Line-Extreme-Rear-Shock-BMW-F800GS-Adventure

———————————————————-

My bikes basically overloaded most of the time for the OEM settings, and I know I can cheaply just beef up the springs, but I do like my bike and want more of a suspension upgrade than just springs without having to buy a mmmmm new KTM

(Note; I’ve had excellent advice many times before on here .., and I positively take on board, value, and appreciate ALL opinions and possible feed back guys , especially if you’ve done this upgrade and even more so if you’ve used these products on your f800GS/GSA)

Attached Files:

2. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    alzate, cgguy09 and BygDaddee like this.
  3. Bali Davo

Oddometer:
    BygDaddee and Deuce like this.
  4. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Bali Davo likes this.
  5. Bali Davo

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Hi FredRydr, thx for your advice , much appreciated ..,
    Fred is your comment referring to my guess below ?

That maybe because they could have possible recommended settings to try as an initial ‘ball park’ starting point for their matched front and rear suspension for certain bike models?

Ie; as in recommending ‘a certain number’ of ‘clicks’ of damping and rebound for a given situation .., before the rider does any fine tuning ?

(like what’s offered in a bikes owners manual for the OEM shocks where they offer adjustable compression and rebound)

What is your take on this Fred ?

Ps; AFAIK ?
    .., after first having the right springs to cover for the intended weight carrying capacity,
    the next thing to establish with ordering custom shocks is having them set up for the intended riding style of the customer.
    Then once installed.., setting the correct 30% sag setting via the pre-load adjuster for the weight being carried on a given day is done.

- then I guess next.., may be where those manufactures recommended number of ‘clicks’ for compression and rebound come into play ..,

I also understand there will be many situations where a manufacturers recommended clicks between front and back would not be correct , and may need adjusting by trial and error from the rider - to which the rider will know ‘by feel’ what’s more confidence inspiring and what isn’t , ie; depending on how a bike is loaded a certain way or when riding on certain types of different terrain?

I sincerely welcome any corrections and further advice.., if my understanding of the above explanation is maybe wrong in some way or in its entirely?

Note .., I am always ‘all ears’ in my efforts and always trying to learn from those more experienced and knowledgeable in this than I .., if anyone would like to clarify or better explain it .., that’ll be awesome and always appreciated.
    Cheers .
  6. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Like tires, these components are designed to work with one another. If you seek adjustment and setup advice from a manufacturer or its rep, you will eliminate their guesswork (or unwillingness to advise on another's products) by your not mixing brands.
    Bali Davo likes this.
  7. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Explain more about what youll mostly use the bike for, what terrain, how hard you ride, its makes a difference to what you can do

ive had a couple of different things on my F8 and i also dont subscribe to the you need same brand front and year camp, what you need is forks and shock sprung and valved to your needs the most cost effective way

i have Öhlins front and rear now
    Bali Davo likes this.
  8. Bali Davo

Oddometer:
    Hi bygdadee, thx for the reply.

My trips on average are 50/50 road / off-road

.., but when off-road I’m usually solo and remote and difficult sections are to get me along section from A to B , but also to get to unique wilderness and scenic places.., not so just for the challenge of it. I look at my bike as a tractor that goes places if I take care , than say , hooning on a dirt bike for the fun of it.

Just to give you an idea , if I was in the USA I’d love to do the T.A.T on my f800GSA ( and hope to in the future) and I do plan a RTW trip on the bike in the next two years. I’d like my bike to be best suited to do that.

I’ll push my loaded bike quite hard off-road with calculated care, so as to minimise the ‘offs’ , and not caring for any deliberate racing or trying to show off. I’ll ride into into anything really from fire trail to snotty single track
    .., and on a bike that size I’d never be trying to perform jumps , although I’ll bounce of rocks , go over fallen branches and smaller logs when nessisary, cross rocky creeks, hit unseen potholes covered in bulldust , and hit ruts and washouts in trails, and tackle lots of sand at often high speed so as to not bury the front wheel, etc.

My steering damper changed many things for me when I added that, and I gained much more confidence to all of that and my skill levels went up to what was possible on my behemoth of a bike, and I was hoping the better shocks would also add to that as well .

Ive been considering the non-esa options lately after looking more into it (like Ohlins as you have) or Touratech extreme etc .., as I’m liking the thought of fine tuning over the three rear ESA options.
    I’m ‘guessing’ that once you eventually knew your ideal settings (after much trial and error).., then adjusting clicks between them would be easily and swiftly accomplished In a couple of minutes as required and become 2nd nature, and you’d have better response overall because of it.

.., I’d also rather pay a bit more for the well known brands, and top quality and performance suspension options, while also having more common worldwide avaliability for spare parts and service options !
    .., than to try to save a few buck on something more obscure, or almost as good , or for something where parts are not as easy to get bits in the middle of nowhere if ever they were needed or for servicing etc.

Not so important , but stil a valid point IMO, is a well know and respected brand would also help make the bike more attractive to sell in the future should I ever decide on buying a new bike compared to a lesser known brand.

How are you finding your Ohlins , and have you found your ideal settings ?
    Also .., what was the biggest thing on improvement you now realised after the upgrade ?
  9. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Davo I have just been through all this to the Nth degree and will make a write up on what I have done and how I have found it now I've done some decent K's but I am happy for you to PM me if you would hear my opinion and what I have done.

I found information on this topic very hard to find and harder to correlate as few people would discuss their setups in detail (weird). If you are in Aus I also have a great place who knows the bike inside out if you need.
    Bali Davo likes this.
  10. Bali Davo

Oddometer:
    Hi Fearless, thanks kindly for replying .
    You sound like you have a lot of helpful info you’d like to share but rather than pm you, I do encourage you to share your insight with this community , as you mentioned in your reply that info on the topic is hard to find (and that it is)
    .., and I’m sure the community as a whole could appreciate and gain from your input , as I surely would as well.
    Your topic could also open a valued discussion too giving others an opportunity can add further input and rider experiences
    I look forward to it when you find the time.
    Cheers :)
  11. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mate. I will post up what I did, just have a bit to deal with at the moment so I'll do it when I have a moment as I said above.

The PM offer was in case you wanted information more quickly but it's all good.
    bozmotodual16 and Bali Davo like this.
  12. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to bump this thread because I am soon to be in the same boat. I'm just starting to look at suspension upgrade options for my 2015 800GSA. Bali, how did you make out? Fearless, I'm sure I would benefit from hearing about your experience as well when you get a chance.
  13. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    Hi OP

I went with the Ohlins FKA100 fronts. Stay away from TT fronts- in 2016 I blew out the bottom pressure fitting in the rebound tube.

I went with the TT esa rear (as I bought TT front and back initially.) The rear ESA is easy if you are going cobble stones to pavement... to cobbles... But I have found that in new untravelled terrain loaded up- I was hesitant to put in Comfort mode and reduce the damping affects... in case of holes in the road.

inasmuch as I have esa- I really do not change it that much for above psychological reasoning... so- if I were to do it again- I would get a non esa rear shock...
  14. alzate

alzate n00b

Oddometer: