2017 HD Sportster Roadster

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Puregonzo279, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have always been a guy that would ride anything I could get my hands on. Usually a Honda or Yamaha. And almost always used.
    About four years ago I got the opportunity to purchase a Harley Roadster brand new. My first brand new vehicle ever. The first three years I owned it I didn’t have any other vehicle and rode it rain or shine and though three north Mississippi winters. When they delivered it to my house it only had seven miles on it. Now it is almost 55 thousand. I have put countless sets of tires on it and changed the oil fifteen or sixteen times. EAE7B62B-1764-44D4-A114-0B20746A6CD7.png I liked the styling of the bike and I always heard the ego motor was kind of a workhorse so I decided to try It out. I have had to replace numerous parts and have had numerous things go wrong. But I guess that’s all part of it. I’m have had to replace wheel bearings twice, brake pads twice. My throttle cable snapped recently going down the highway. The base gaskets leak like crazy and oil comes up through the exposed head bolts on the outside of the jug.
    At 48 thousand miles I started to lose fuel economy and it began feeling sluggish. So I replaced the tappets, or cam followers. I forgot to unplug the battery and fried the fuel pump when I plugged it back in. The dealer had my bike for almost two months and couldn’t get a pump so I had to buy one third party and have it shipped there. Since they had it I figured I would get them to upgrade the intake and exhaust for me. 6E7A2AEC-E021-4DD4-BB53-C98833432CB3.jpeg They informed me that I had to purchase their tuner (screaming eagle) or it would void my extended warranty. So I followed their instruction and was very disappointed. The bike began running very lean it popped a lot and when trying to cruise with steady throttle it felt like it was starved of fuel. Only when you were really ripping through the gears did it behave properly. About eight hundred miles after this it burned through almost all the oil in the bike. It started making a lot of noise in the head and I ended up having to rebuild it. B82DCEEC-178C-4167-BD5D-80658340E32A.jpeg When I took the heads off the exhaust valve on both cylinders was totally white. The valve seals were melted to the guides and I wondered if that’s where the oil consumption came from. So I contacted the dealer and asked if there was a different ecu flash they could load to my bike to which they replied there was nothing else they could do. They suggested that I buy an aftermarket tuner or have it dyno tuned, or both. Needless to say I was pretty upset. I had wasted three hundred dollars on the suggested tuner and almost burned up my bike in the process. E5D5AE22-10FB-4017-BD4A-CDEC4423BCB2.jpeg I took the valves out and cleaned them, upgraded the valve springs and replaced the seals. Put it all back together and bought a power vision tuner. I have done the auto tune feature and flashed it to the bike, but it’s still not quite running right. Looks like I’m gonna have to have it tuned. I had pretty much zero issues out of the bike till I let them flash the new tune to the bike.
    The last two times I have ridden it , it has shut off on me going down the highway the hazards come on immediately and the bike enters LIP mode . I pull over , cycle the key put it through the diagnosis process and no codes. Turn the key back on and the bike starts right back up. I don’t know where to go or what to do from here but I am pretty unimpressed with how each dealer has handled themselves nearly every time I have gone up there. I love the bike , but I regret having them do anything to it.
    rc51owner likes this.
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
  3. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have an extended warranty that they made you buy their parts for...why are you working on it? Sorry to hear about this. I had heard that the Evo motor in stock form was pretty bulletproof. It shouldn't be leaking at the base gaskets and have needed tappets at 50Kwere that the case. Maybe something else was already going bad to cause the lean condition.

I've always had a thing for the Roadster and was looking very seriously at them. Hope this is an anomaly.
  4. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your issues. I think an indy shop might be your best bet, IF you can find a good one.
    Also, regarding the base gasket leak, in case you haven't heard this...
    The aluminum heads/jugs expand with heat more than the cylinder studs. This means there is more clamping force holding the heads and jugs down once the motor is warmed up than when it is cold. Ergo, don't run it hard until it is fully warmed up (at least 5-10 miles).
  5. BC360

BC360 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have a power train warranty, they need to fix it.
    My dealer tried to tell me just doing my own oil changes will void my warranty.
    Bullshit.
    They need to fix your bike.
  6. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    After all this I really don’t want them touching my bike. I rebuilt the heads myself because I have done it numerous times with dirt bikes. Same thing. I lapped the valves and put it all back together. I am thinking that I may need a wide band 02 sensor
  7. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far as a tuner goes the Dynojet Power Vision is well regarded and if you buy it from Fuel Moto they will supply a tune that should be a close match to your setup (you give them the specifics) which basically sounds like Stage 1. They ship the PV with Dynojet tunes plus their own which they developed in house and if you change your setup they will supply a new tune.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-28398-dynojet-power-vision.html

(I don't have any connection to Fuel Moto other than as a happy customer)
    jersey jim likes this.