2017 Honda X-ADV

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by fullmetalscooter, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Thor83

Thor83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi i was going to get diablo's but many people on facebook seem to put michelins pilot road 4 and people saying how comfortable he ride is, it changes the completely makes it a lot better bike, as the tires on it is neither off-road fully or on road fully.
  2. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I use a combination of Michelin Road 5 on the front and a PR4 on the rear. I checked this with Michelin before doing so. My purpose for the 5 on front is that it steers quicker than the 4. Sadly Michelin have no plans for a rear 5 in that wheel size but the 4 is still a very good tyre.
  3. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I believe some folks have also used Dunlops to good effect.
  4. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I wonder how many of us on this thread still have their X-Adv's.

There has been another bike beckoning to me for some time that I would like to own, but I would have to part with my X to get it and tbh I like the X too much to allow that to happen. Sadly however some owners found out early on in ownership that the X was not for them. I think those of us who have stayed with the X-Adv could be likened to Guzzi owners, perhaps a little eccentric ?
    tregter2 and tart like this.
  5. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Straddling Sheer Precipice

Oddometer:
    Sadly, us here in North America coming up on 2020 still don't get a chance to find out for ourselves.

C'mon Honda!
    Griff2 and simbaboy like this.
  6. BigWing

BigWing n00b

Oddometer:
    I still have my X-ADV....and I still love it!
    Griff2 likes this.
  7. vainamoinen

vainamoinen Bumblebee master

Oddometer:
    Still have mine. And from time to time I have the lust of getting something else but then I ride the damn thing and it is ticking all the boxes for me and I forget about other bikes.
    Griff2 likes this.
  8. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon 1290SA/XADV

Oddometer:
    Hi guys really glad to have found this thread struggling to find more info on 17inch rear wheel mod except for you can use a NC700 stock wheel would like to know how much other work is needed (this could be the tipping scale from taking me away from a Tmax!) Thanks all
  9. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I think the chap who won his class in the Gibraltar Rally had one. TBH the biggest problem would be the wheel hitting the underside of the wheel arch on full suspension compression. If that bike had a bigger wheel and it appeared to do so, then the extra diameter of the rim would have been somewhat offset by a skinnier knobby on the rim. That is only me surmising. I think there would be slight modification of the wheel arch required if a bigger wheel diameter was contemplated using the same rim width. Have a look at the Gibraltar rally article and follow links from there........

https://motoridersuniverse.com/news...axi-scooter-won-the-2019-gibraltar-rally.html
    lukeinlondon likes this.
  10. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon 1290SA/XADV

Oddometer:
    Thanks Griff, sorry thought someone on here had done it. I would have thought an upgrade rear shock could off set the bigger wheel but I don't actually know what I am talking about. Will check out those links anyway. Was going to Lease an Xadv but I can tell already that (if I like the drive( it will definitely turn into a Build Thread like my current 1290SA IMG_20191019_194115_815.jpg
  11. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    A shock would do the job but to achieve the clearance then the rear of the bike would have to be higher than intended by design. It is possible that someone on here did it but I haven'e seen evidence of that to date. I suppose the idea of a larger rim with a lower profile tyre might work without modification to the wheel arch and You might follow that line of thinking.
    What is certain is that no amount of modification will achieve anything like the quality of suspension that You have on that 1290. I considered shock replacement at the beginning of ownership but laziness took over and I left it alone. it now has 28,000 kms on the odo and the suspension damping has "softened" somewhat and I am ok with it.
    I strongly recommend a test ride particularly on a bike that has some mileage on it if You can get hands on one. I recently jumped off mine to try one of those new 850 Guzzi's that all my friends were raving about. The Guzzi was nice but I was so glad to be back on my X. By comparison the Guzzi was very top heavy and very intimidating for me at lower speeds. That is where the X really shines. It is no lightweight being the same weight as an Africa Twin but it really has all that weight very low down and You would never know it is 238kg or thereabout.
    lukeinlondon likes this.
  12. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon 1290SA/XADV

Oddometer:
    Yeah would definitely swap tyres for street focus ok cool it's worth exploring! Just about to swap the rear spring out on my 1290 it sucks (already done the front)

Another question I saw a video where someone fitted an Hp4 Akra (YouTube Asia) any non stock exhaust that are a direct fit?
  13. tregter2

tregter2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi Luke,
    there are some facebook groups with post about this .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HondaXADV750Thailand/

especially army garage on the thai x adv group he done 17 mod rear with spokes and also cbr650 wheel. to me it seems better do a full 19 front 17 rear upgrade the bike would raise equally, likely only need a ladder to climb on

cheers
    Peter
    lukeinlondon likes this.
  14. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon 1290SA/XADV

Oddometer:
    Thanks Peter, the reason for 17/17 is it's a supermoto setup so feel like it would be best for city fun riding. Will read up
  15. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon 1290SA/XADV

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done the Snorkel and Lambda mod? Looking at doing uPMap exhaust and mod before i collect the bike (as i did with my previous bike- labour is free so might as well make the most of it!)

From UpMap- the best performance for your Honda X-ADV equipped with the Termignoni slip on reference H14208040ITC, collector Termignoni reference H14209410IXX and the UpMap kit. The snorkel of the airbox is removed and the lambda sensor is disabled. In this configuration, compared to the machine without Upmap, the maximum power is increased by +8.64 hp at 6.300 rpm and the torque is increased by +10.50 Nm at the same rpm.
  16. Thor83

Thor83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    72352018_10157110491354145_4549384545681539072_n.jpg

i went for Ohlins rear shock and my god what a difference, i wish i would have done it before, i install this myself its a 5-6 hours job if you got the patience and knowledge and DYI mechanic can do it.

The bike feels better, corners better, now because of the damping rebound adjuster you can make the bike softer or harder. no longer i feel the road in my stomach.

My next upgrade was the front brakes braided lines. Just wanted see how this will effect first before changing the pads and rotors. Its definitely alot better feeling and stopping now however the bite i wanted is still not there it needs better pads and perhaps a better rotor.

72871431_10157130973474145_142660349508714496_n.jpg

Next is the tires to be change :D
    i went for diablos :D

71707594_10157093419614145_9195105671668826112_n.jpg
    tregter2 and lukeinlondon like this.
  17. Thor83

Thor83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    71528650_10157079094569145_6994652746058039296_n.jpg

My tail tidy from Lightech it takes at least 3-4 hours :D
    lukeinlondon likes this.
  18. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    From Thor's time assessments there is a lot of time involved in doing the most basic of work such as replacing the shock and a tail tidy. At worst, changing a shock on a normal bike would take an hour or so but not the X. Any work on this bike is a real pain and that is my biggest issue with it. Imho that is a very poor design on Honda's part. If panels were simply bolted onto the chassis it would make life much simpler. The same applies to changing a chain and sprockets and valve clearance. Lots and lots of bodywork to be removed and that takes up most of the time. Personally I don't have the patience for that nonsense any more and if I were ever to part with this bike that aspect would be the reason solely. :hmmmmm
    lukeinlondon likes this.
  19. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon 1290SA/XADV

Oddometer:
    Just heard from one Honda dealer that the Termignoni has been pulled from the catalogue? Thor mentioned there being issues with them but haven't seen anything personally.

I like the ixrace personally but after seeing a decat'ed stock exhaust I will start with that setup and upgrade later
  20. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon 1290SA/XADV

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Met up with Thor yesterday and he kindly let me have a little ride of his. Confirmed my hope. Love it. Just working out finances w a dealer m(who has offered no labour costs on accessories- full exhaust/air filter/de-snorkel and RapidBike or UpMap T800

As I plan to get iX race can made me look into alternatives as UpMap is Termi'/Akra orientated. Something else worth sharing found a US company that does integrated heated grips (I don't want hideous Oxford controller on handlebar)

https://ame-grips.myshopify.com/products/chicane-heated-performance-bike-grips
    The Virginian likes this.