2017 Kawasaki Z900

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by motocopter, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    svahadean likes this.
  2. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont care what many here say. This bike is great. 124hp and torque in the 60s and it'll probably be $10k- $11k out the door. Better looking than the z1000 at least..
    jamboa likes this.
  3. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Should be a great bike!
  4. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    In first with the needs +20hp and needs to lose at least 100lbs before it's a decent ride.
    jamboa likes this.
  5. Omarius

Omarius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like Kawasaki and Suzuki are in strange positions with the 800 standard market.

One one hand, Suzuki has the lightweight, GSXR750 engine, but has to work with the heavy, legacy GSR750 frame.

Kawasaki is the opposite, they don't have a lightweight 800cc engine, so they have to resort to sleeving down a big old Z1000 engine, and using a lightweight modern frame design.

The end result is the same, both bikes are within a couple pounds of each other. The Yamaha is lighter obviously because of the clean sheet design.
    jamboa likes this.
  6. Tnbrit

Tnbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's terrible being old,i just think that is yet another ugly insect style bike.
    How can Kawasaki design that & the W800 & think that both of them look like motorcycles.
    Of course if i was 31 instead of 71,i'd probably love it,but my wife being a passenger would hate it,no matter what age.
    I know,just another worthless opinion from an old goat.
  7. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    This 900cc engine is five cc's less than my previous Z1000--948 vs 953. If this 900 doesn't have the secondary throttles like my Z1000, it may feel like it has more bottom-end grunt.

I don't like that Kawasaki went back to the 90's parts bins for the front brakes--although they are most likely fine for the bike's role.
  8. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They should have made it look like the original 900. THAT would be a bike that would sell.
  9. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    That could have worked. Sort of like what Honda is doing with their CB1100.
  10. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I went to buy a new liter class naked, I looked at the Z1000. Honestly, I love Kawasaki and have had many of their bikes. But, that is one of the most singularly ugly motorcycles ever made. Seriously. Hideous. Shame, because it rode really well. The engine is fantastic, and the suspension and brakes were quite good too. The new z900 is better, but that's not saying much. Not trying to offend owners, because I have had and loved a bunch of Kaws, but their line up of bikes is one of the most hideous in history. Seriously. The H2?!? The ZX14?!? The Versys?!? The Ninja 300 and Concours 14 are the best looking bikes in their line, and they aren't lookers. And people talk about Honda being nuts...

Very sad with the big three are putting out these days.
    frog13, opmike and Chillis like this.
  11. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh skidmark, I say bleh to you! :D Big and small ninjas look good 300, 650, 1000. The 14 is badass though been around a while. The versys finally looks good. New z650 is bland enough for wide appeal. My Connie is my Connie.

The spec sheet on this bike is so on the mark for I4 lovers. Price is great. We will see if it rides up to the potential. Hoping it does.
    ge_trojan likes this.
  12. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The CB1100 is used as a doorstop at most Honda showrooms......

Where did the HP & TQ figures come from?
    jamboa likes this.
  13. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    This is true for the '13 CB1100 with it's five-speed transmission. The '14 models not as much. The ''14 model is the bargain now.

14. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take to consideration the bike will be around $10k.
  15. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If the cb1100 put out the figures of their 1983 cb1100 it would of sold like crazy. However that wasn't the market they were chasing. There's a 2014 black cb1100 at my local dealer. STILL at my dealer.. Only if I can find some room.......:hmmmmm
  16. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I just don't like the "tail in the air" look of most modern sportbikes. They put the tail up way too high, and then ad a big ugly plastic appendage so they have some place to put the tailight, turn signals, and license plate.

I need a bike that can carry a passenger and/or luggage. I just don't see that happening on a bike with a tail section like this. I really like Suzuki's GSX-S 1000's, but I don't think anyone has figured out how to mount luggage on them yet...
    opmike, EarsOnWheels, Tnbrit and 2 others like this.
  17. Scooterdoodler

Scooterdoodler Long timer

Oddometer:
    That 'cat in heat' rear end on some of these bikes leaves me cold, real cold. Where did this unfortunate styling quirk come from, street stunter bikes?

That's one of the reasons I like ZX14's and Hayabusas, they may not be the trendiest 'lookers' out there , but they haven't yet fallen prey to that awful 'I'm ready to breed' look of some of these bikes.
    curtis6870 likes this.
  18. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    I can recall this look on street-fighter bikes in Germany back in the early-to-mid 2000's. It was pretty extreme then.

jamboa likes this.
  19. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of luggage options for the GSX-S1000, from Givi and SW Motech.
  20. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected - thanks