2017 KTM 1290 SAR - Spec comparison

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Big Thick Paddy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Big Thick Paddy

Big Thick Paddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hoping a knowledgable person/dealer (or both) has the answer.

Is the 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R produced for Europe the same as the model produced for the US?

I am returning to Canada from Europe after more than 12 months absence with a motorcycle that I also purchased more than 12 months ago. From the https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html I can bring a vehicle back as personal effects, but I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to get it registered for the road in BC. I am hoping that KTM built a bike that meets all requirements.

I think the primary requirements for Canada are a speedo in metric (check), exhaust system <80dBa (???? assume so), lighting to Canadian requirements (???? looks same as my old Canadian 1190)
  2. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in 2011 I tried to bring in my 2002 Ducati 748 that I bought while on posting in Rome. I was told an unequivocal NO as it was not manufactured for the Canadian or US market. When challenged to provide details as to why, I was told the bike was not homologated for our market, to which I replied the bike is old enough that it has no emissions electronics or canisters that differ between US and Euro bikes, and that it is physically the same bike and thus compliant. The guy from Transport Canada then said that there was nothing I or anyone could do to make my bike compliant to Canadian or US standards. What it comes down to is that, for this particular bike, it had the wrong VIN sequence. That was the only difference and TC didn't give a shit what I did, they were not letting it in. LOL

Now, having said that, I do know that you can get a Canadian compliant KTM direct from KTM in Austria. I know I guy here in Ottawa who bought his 690 Enduro while in Germany and brought it back a few months ago. I'll post up his info, I would PM him and ask who he talked to. But I suspect that if your bike was purchased in Europe without specifying the need to have it Canadian or US compliant, you may be S.O.L.
  3. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM Thumpididump .... he's the guy.