2017: R1200GS Rallye Standard Exclusive

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Loutre, Nov 9, 2016.

1. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    @pauljm where did you get the centre stand and is there a difference between GS or GSA stand?
  2. Jim-Mer

Jim-Mer Slowing Down

Oddometer:
    I just bought a leftover 2017 Rally with sport suspension for $3,400 off of MSRP. I am stoked beyond belief! After suffering through a crappy shifting 2015 GS for 45K, this thing shifts like butta. All of my farkles will move right over, and it looks the bomb too. The blue reminds me of the '77 Yamaha IT400 I bought new when I first laid eyes on it, and I've had a stiffy for this thing since I first saw it. Blue motorcycles rule!!! Dealer is swapping black rims for silver rims off of another bike, for a little of a unique look. I'd rather have cast wheels for ease of cleaning, but oh well.

This could be my last bike as I'm creeping towards 70. I'm still doing 10 - 15K miles a year, mostly two lane with some dirt / gravel roads in the mix, but no single track. Yes I know the new 1250 is coming, with even more wow / gizmos / power, but this will be great for me. only negative is the Bluetooth key fob...a solution looking for a problem to solve. When I bought my '15GS I ordered it from the factory with a regular key to avoid it. You still need to carry a key to lock the cases, so what is the point?? I'm not anti-technology, I get along with it just fine when it provides a real benefit.

In any case I'm very excited to get this in my garage, and out on the road.

Jim
    Canton, OH
  3. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a good deal! Congrats on the new bike. I hope I'm still able to ride at 70. I completely agree with the key fob - you still gotta carry something around with you - although rumor has it, and this is definitely just a rumor, the new 1250 comes with a key fob chip that they just implant right into your upper left shoulder... No idea how the panniers will lock though... I jest - Great that you can transfer your farkles - Post a pic when you get her all dressed up and ready to go.
  4. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Last weekend, I rode to the north end of Highway 1 on the California coast. Where highway 1 turns inland toward Leggett, I rode about 10 miles east to connect to a dirt road, Usal Rd, to check it out. As it turns out, this area of California got the first rain in 5 months just as I arrived. I was only able to ride the dirt for about 1 mile before it became clear to me, this road is not possible to ride when it is wet. It becomes a slippery, slimy mess when wet. I decided to turn around while I still could and rode pavement back to Fort Bragg. The pavement was also very slippery in places as this was the first rain in 5 months to this area. I had to watch out for the "tar snakes" on the road which were like black ice if you were leaned over in a turn and hit one.

Even though it was raining, it was a beautiful ride and had I been there one day earlier, I could have ridden dirt road from the north end of highway one to Shelter Cove and then more dirt to the north on Kings Peak road. This gives me a reason to go back when the road dries out.
    toowoomba likes this.
  5. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics of my ride:

Usal Road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nevgriff64, Serp, scfrank and 3 others like this.
  6. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t need inspiration to go to NZ.....again. Was there in ‘05 and didn’t want to leave. I was driving a Mercedes powered camper. Next time I go driving around down there, it will be on a bike !!
    toowoomba and MegaRowMan like this.
  7. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:

Was wondering this myself - I couldn't find an X on it either.

You should have used a felt pen and drew something under the seat - the next owner wouldn't have had a clue. :lol3

Still loving this bike by the way @Fred Gassit . :-)

Now a question if I may for the knowledgeable here - is there a centre stand available for the Rallye with the sport suspension?

If yes - any chance of a part number please?
  8. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the gsa center stand works for sport suspension. sport suspension is the same height as a gsa.
    nevgriff64 and toowoomba like this.
  9. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a GSA centre stand on fleabay and works just fine.
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  10. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip - does the centre stand need to be from the same year model or would any late LC stand fit?
  11. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the exact same thing and mine came from a 2014 GSA. I have an aftermarket skidplate, bmw's beefier aluminum one, and just something to keep in mind - I had to order a larger size pin than what the center stand originally came with. It took some figuring but the dealer and I finally figured it out. Here's some pics to help better explain wtf i'm rambling on about. Without the longer pin I had no way of attaching my beefier skid plate. The fiche doesn't show that another size is available, but there is - it's longer.

Attached Files:

nevgriff64 likes this.
  12. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think mine came off a '15 model. All LC GSA are the same.
    toowoomba and nevgriff64 like this.
  13. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:

Thanks for the extra information mate - I think i've found one but need to wait until Sunday to know for sure.

That diagram helps a lot - i'll know what to pick up if/when it become available. :-)
    toowoomba likes this.
  14. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a real nice centerstand for a regular height Rallye if anyone is interested.
  15. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Tank / knee guard for 2017 Rallye needed. I noticed that my gear is rubbing my Rallye tank.

I found these overseas.
    Wunderlich Tank Pad Set BMW R1200GS LC Rallye

Is there something stateside (I live in Seattle) or even a better (Cheaper?) solution for my rallye?

What are you folks using?
  16. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use Ezi-Grip on my GSA:
    [​IMG]

Here's the version for your machine: https://www.eazi-grip.com/shop/eazi-grip/eazi-grip-bmw/eazi-grip-bmw-r1200gs-2015-2017-clear/

I hope this helps.

Mike
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  17. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Techspec -> https://techspec-usa.com/

I had them on my GSA, they worked fine for me.

The GS tank cover plastics are really not durable at all. In only 3k mine were staring to show marks from my gear / heated gear cable.
  18. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
  19. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a blow up of a shot I took this past weekend:
    [​IMG]

They've yellowed a touch but, so far, they're not bad enough to be changed.

Mike
  20. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike, what tires are those?