2017: R1200GS Rallye Standard Exclusive

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Loutre, Nov 9, 2016.

1. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moto Z Tractionator GPS. The front tire accompanied me to Alaska last summer and to the west coast last month. I rode to JVB's tech day Alexandria, VA this weekend and several guys were amazed it has almost 12,000 miles on it. The rear was put on just prior to my west coast trip. I know some people have had cracking issues with them but I haven't. I bought them from Pacific Powersports and they told me, if they crack, they'll be replaced free of charge and no matter how many miles.

Mike
    bthuss, krussell and toowoomba like this.
  2. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that your bike and your review? I'm gonna order a set! http://pacificpowersports.com/motoz-tractionator-gps-tire-review-2wheeladv-com/
  3. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Heck no, my bike is much better looking than that junker!:D I'm really liking the Tractionator GPS tires. I put them to the test in Wyoming's Snowy Range one day last June. I went into a curve a bit hot on a rainy day, experienced an 'oh, shit' moment and the tires performed as hoped. Here's a photo of that day:
    [​IMG]

I do need to tell you that, at my age, I've slowed down a bit and, to date, these tires have performed well for me. I consider them a 50/50 tire and they wouldn't be my choice for the Dragon or Mulholland Drive.

Mike
    Huckwheat, nevgriff64 and toowoomba like this.
  4. toowoomba

Oddometer:
    Of course! I see now that it was just a peasants bike - forgive me!:D That's a great pic btw... Snowy range area is beautiful - As long as it's not rainy, snowy or cold... That would definitely be a pucker moment...Glad the tires held. I've slowed down a lot too and I don't plan on doing the dragon anytime soon, maybe Mulholland, but slowly... That's some seriously impressive mileage on those tires and that's going to be my next set. Here's to old and slow and happy as hell about it. Although I'm sure, like me, you get on the throttle once in awhile... : )
    mikegc likes this.
  5. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Managed to find a centre stand that's come from a GSA and is being sent to me tomorrow. :clap

Lets hope it fits. :-)

[​IMG]
    toowoomba likes this.
  6. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    OK, the centre stand arrived today and after a bit of swearing and cursing ( no spring pulling tool ) I got the stand fitted up. :clap

Tested it and....... it's too short. :(

I specifically said from a GSA so i'm guessing its from the GS model.

If its handy - can I get someone to measure the centre stand from the centre of the mounting hole to the bottom of the foot please?

This one is roughly 320mm and the one I already have on my 2011 GSA ( non WC model ) is roughly 350mm which is probably more the measurement i'm needing.

Thanks in advance.
  7. mikegc

Oddometer:
    On my '18 GSA Rallye, the center stand length is 355.6mm.

Mike
    nevgriff64 and toowoomba like this.
  8. toowoomba

Oddometer:
    That sucks! No easy feat putting that stand on - Sorry to hear that. MikeGC is spot on - the bottom of the centre stand to the center of the mounting hole looks to be right around 350mm. 2017.5 Rallye.

350mm.jpeg
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  9. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a part number stamped on the Stand?
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  10. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the measurements - very much appreciated. The stand came from a 2015 GSA but maybe the suspension was lowered - not sure. There is another stand at the place of purchase so hopefully it’s the correct length. Fingers crossed.

No part numbers that I’ve seen but I’ll need to have a better look when I get home tonight.
    toowoomba likes this.
  11. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Message through from the place of purchase - he has another one that measures 37.5 cm so i'm assuming its the one I need. :-)
    JimVonBaden and toowoomba like this.
  12. toowoomba

Oddometer:
    That's good news. This was from another post from another inmate who suggested - "One of the best tips I was ever given...Bend the springs and fill them with pennies. It stretches them out so you can just slide the springs on." That might help you when putting on the new, new centre stand.
    mikegc and nevgriff64 like this.
  13. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    New Centre stand arrived and got it fitted this morning - delighted to say, it works well. :clap

I'll take it off again and give it a paint but very happy with how its all turned out.

Thanks to all that helped with the measurements and advice. :-)

[​IMG]
  14. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    i must say thats one of the best looking bikes ive seen for a long time
  15. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did same as you. Best addition to my X.
    nevgriff64 likes this.
  16. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lovely! What tires are you running?
  17. handensco

handensco Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I caught the Rally bug from this thread. I have decided to give up the old 102,000 mile r1100gs. i have been agonizing over this decision and there have been a couple of bikes I tied to get with various low miles. I finally gave up after a couple of deals went down the drain. I found a really nice GSA and went for it but that sold also. I found a brand new 18 Rallye and have a couple of questions. I really don't need the fuel rage and you can always add rotopax.
    So my main questions;
    what options should you have gotten from BMW that you didn't?
    What things did you get that you should have done aftermarket?
    The bike I am getting has the passenger package. I can take the rear seat off if I go to the mountains. That is what I do on my old r110gs. The spousal unit thinks that is the most comfortable bike we have. I am going to pull the trigger on Tuesday. It has the sport suspension etc.
    Thanks for the help.
    side-burn and toowoomba like this.
  18. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    Mine came with Vario panniers. I added a Sargent saddle, top case and grip puppies. If it doesn’t have crash bars then put something on right away because a simple drop can damage the valve covers. DAMHIK. I put Machineartmoto covers on mine.
    handensco likes this.
  19. toowoomba

Oddometer:
    I added aftermarket Aux lights, a taller windscreen, some engine crash bars, Hepco&Becker quick release pannier racks, Machine art moto cylinder head protecters and a few other odds and sods... Post pics when you get your new Rallye.
    Some Beach likes this.
  20. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    I forgot that I also added a taller screen.