1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2017 R1200RS Impressions Requested

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by 1956Kmack, Nov 20, 2019.

1. 1956Kmack

1956Kmack This is the Last One - I promise

Oddometer:
    I know it's not a GS but I'm going to check out a used 2017 R1200RS this weekend and would love to hear your impressions (good or bad) and anything specific to that model I should check for.

Thanks
  2. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I seriously considered that bike before I decided to get the GS. It's good-looking, set up for sport touring, good R1200 motor. I came across this article by Ken Condon, a guy I respect a lot. https://www.ridinginthezone.com/review-2017-bmw-r1200rs/ His impression was that the RS, while being a very stable bike, is not very agile. It has a longer rake. The bike is designed for long sweepers, not tight twisties. When I test rode the bike, that is exactly what I experienced. I had previously ridden an R12R which was very flickable. The RS was almost cumbersome in tight turns. I test rode it back to back vs. the R and the difference was unmistakable. But I just didn't want another R. I then test rode the GS and fell in love. It's just so damned good in the tight stuff. Eventually I got into off-asphalt which made me love the GS even more. I'm soooo glad I didn't buy the RS. My $0.02.
  3. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch. That sounds like something I would definitely be concerned about. Low speed handling is a high priority for me.
  4. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I both ride '16 RS's.

I tell everyone all the time: The LC RS is the best BMW no one buys.
    ontrip and RonkoRider like this.
  5. upsscott

upsscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I test rode the RS. I loved it. I ended up with a GS only due to ergo factors that my body insists upon. The RS is drop dead gorgeous in my opinion.
    mtwillyman likes this.
  6. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ This
    hankgs likes this.
  7. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good set of bar-backs (like the Heli-Bars or MV Motorrad versions) will transform the RS into a more comfortable and more flickable bike. The riding position still produces some forward lean. Visibility is also enhanced. It's a pretty great change for about $135. HeliBar shown in photo below... 42B4811E-603D-4B4F-A28C-FFF404621A6C.jpeg
    That Buff Orpington is a shameless photobomber...
    SelfPropelledDevo and mtwillyman like this.
  8. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    I took a demo ride today and found the overall bike to be terrific with the glaring exception of the handlebar position.

Dealer is willing to work with me but we are stuck between my preference ( to replace clip on set up with the R1200R bar set up complete) and their preference (illium or helibar type riser with existing bars)

I had no issues with rake and trail but the bar position as is means no go.

Has anyone tried the R bars on the RS or had experience with the risers mentioned above?

I really like the bike and would like to figure out a way to make it work.
  9. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Apparently the R bars don't provide as much change as the Heli type riser blocks....

Have you ridden the new R1250R?
    SelfPropelledDevo likes this.
  10. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    No but I sat on it. Those bars were perfect.

I'm a little concerned about the swept back angle on the stock rs bars. Rotating the R type bars gives you a little change in that aspect.

Besides that the 60mm back and 30mm up of the MV Motorrad version looks best of that style.
  11. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    I would take the r for a spin..
    Dr Twisty likes this.
  12. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    May I ask what I would be expecting to find?

The R1250R and RS at $19500 are definitely out of my price range. I am looking at a fully optioned 2017 R1200RS with 4000 miles for $13000 which is the top of my budget.
    SelfPropelledDevo likes this.
  13. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, fair enough.

The R riding position is a lot friendlier than the RS...
  14. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    I found that to be true in person.

Chassis and rake angle the same, trail is slightly shorter on RS (should make turning easier) seat height is lower on the R but seats are interchangeable between them and I think the footpegs use the same mounts/locations (haven't been able to verify).

All this leads me to conclude that the main difference between the two is the bars. That's why I'm pushing for R bars on the RS.
    Gone Troppo likes this.
  15. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    My ‘16 RS is the best bike I have owned out of ten. My previous bike was the R but an older model. Nothing compares to the comfort and charismatic ride of the RS.
  16. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the 2016 and added a set of risers- perfect for me! The bike rocks on the highway and in the twistes! It is truly BMW’s only sport tourer IMHO! The K16 and RT are simply too big and heavy.

I had to trade in my RS for my GS because I could not travel long distances with out my right knee screaming. The ergos of the GS is simply better for me. I put over 24k in just over 2 years of ownership. If it wasn’t for my knees, I’d still own it. DFBC948E-AFE5-4A55-A20B-70723BCA0F8D.jpeg
  17. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2017 R1200RS Rake 27.7 (4.5 in trail)
    2017 R1200 R Rake 27.1 (4.3 in trail)

No matter what handle bar you put on the RS, it will not be as agile as the R.

You can put a touring windscreen on the R with panniers and make the R into an excellent Sport-Tourer that is much more capable in the twisties than the RS and much more comfortable upright position for long rides. And the 2017 R1200R can be purchased for less than the RS. I'd give it a try.
    Gone Troppo likes this.
  18. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    ^ this...
  19. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    Every spec sheet I find for the 2017 R1200R shows Rake angle 27.7 which is same as R1200RS.

I rode the RS and it had no handling issues I could detect. Also, the additional weather protection of the fairing is a plus for me.

I'm sure the R would be a quicker feeling bike all around but for touring, I think the RS will work if I can get the rider ergonomics sorted. It's still more capable in the twisties than anything I've ever owned. I'm pretty sure it's more capable than I am.
  20. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $13K is too much for a '17 RS. Keep looking, there are $10K RS's out there. I bought my '16 in September '17. It had 12K miles on it, factory side cases, Givi top case, Nav V, Illium bar risers, and 2 years of remaining warranty. I paid $10.5K....two years ago.
    SelfPropelledDevo and doc4216 like this.