2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days, Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by KenCM, Jun 28, 2017.

1. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Started leaving on our dry run at 1:30 today. Actually left at 4:30 PM.
    My bike wouldn't start. Bad cell in battery. Local Honda dealer covered under warranty. Started to leave second time and discovered GPS not powered. Turns out there is some electronic gizmo in line with connector that is preventing the powering of external devices. Attached second battery tender and finally took off.

Camping in Citrus tract of Withlacoochee forest.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Had to add second battery tender.
    Electronic gizmo on heavy one is preventing powering devices like GPS and air pump.

Anyone know what this electronic gizmo inline is for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]
  3. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Glad I got a manual!!!
  4. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Man! That is still a lot of stuff. I take about 50lbs of gear.... "pack it light, freeze at night" was the light infantryman's moto so used to an austere set up
  5. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a Schottky Diode, or perhaps a few of them.
    Its job is to protect your battery and the booster pack from accidentally getting connected the wrong way round, or both leads together, that kind of thing. Basically it stops current going along the booster pack cable in the "wrong" direction.
    That means you can only use it to feed power into the bike battery, not to draw power out from it, such as powering a GPS, compressor etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schottky_diode
    kvango likes this.
  6. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Whatever.

I was either going to coast to coast to coast alone or a bunch of BDR's with a couple buddies...went with a more fun shared trip this year. Probably do the coast to coast to coast next year. Hard to do everything I'd like to.

:ricky Go Ken and Garrett!!
    RG1984 likes this.
  7. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since I'm on the TAT at the moment and it's taken me 2 weeks to get to La Veta CO. I'm not sure how you will be able to do this ride in 12 days.

Not that the pace isn't doable by some, but the weather has stopped me on 6 occasions. I don't mind getting wet, but when it's lightning hitting and thunder crashing at the same time all around you, it's not real prudent to keep going.

Plus, this route goes by a lot of people's homes...many with young kids' toys all over. I think it is doing our riding community a disservice to go blasting by the "Children Playing" signs at 50mph just to set a record finish. Seems like there a lot of other places to do a fast pace blitz that wouldnt be dangerous and offensive to local residents.
  8. garrett3

garrett3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm willing to take the risk. I don't have rear blinkers either
  9. garrett3

garrett3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remember, it's long days not fast speeds
  10. KenCM

Oddometer:
    First, good job on hanging in there given the inclement weather.
    I hope you have better weather the rest of the trip.

I want to reiterate that we intend to make distance by riding long days, not high speed.
    We will largely be complying with speed limits and never riding at unsafe speeds for the conditions.

With respect to weather - that is my primary concern. Secondary concern is mechanical issues.
    If we get bad weather, it will slow us down.

FWIW, I did this route solo last year in 20 riding days on a substantially less capable setup.

It'll take what it takes. Our target is 12 days.
    Aces 6 and phreakingeek like this.
  11. KenCM

Oddometer:
    We're back home from the test run, so I have a real keyboard and that means more words easier.

When we discovered the issue, my first thought was that they had used a diode to prevent drawing current from the battery on the bike, but the voltage on the connector side was on the order of 9V and that was a bit of a mystery.
    If I have time, I'll cut that shrink wrap off of there and see if I can make sense of what they did.

I presume they've done that specifically to preclude exactly what we wanted to do.

I'm guessing the thought process went something like this:
    "Our" battery cannot sustain the fusing current of this wire long enough to present a serious risk.
    But "We" don't know what else they might try to plug in that could draw the fusing current from the bike battery.
    We can't simply fuse the wire with a reasonable size fuse - what to do?
    "I" know... we'll put a diode in line.

If I can procure a couple of those connectors promptly, I'll make a jumper without the electronics.
    Otherwise, we'll rely primarily on the Antigravity battery for a jump and if that doesn't work, we'll try the smaller gauge battery tenders.
  12. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could wire a 15 to 30 amp fuse across the diodes. That would let you power things from it. Remove the fuse before you use the booster pack or it will blow, as there's a slight voltage drop on the diodes and all the starting current will go through the fuse in preference to the diodes.
  13. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    We already put a separate fused battery tender on each bike so we have that covered.
    The only remaining thing I'd like to do if we have time is make new larger gauge battery tenders without the electronics so we can jump one bike from the other.
    Someone indicated that connector is commonly used on R/C toys - need to ask Garrett if there are any R/C shops around here.

EDIT: Yep! It's an EC5 connector and available at a nearby Hobby Town.
  14. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for setting me straight. Hope you guys get some good weather and have an awesome trip.

15. KenCM

Oddometer:
    WEIGHT AND BALANCE

Before leaving for the trial run yesterday, I realized I had optimized for the wrong thing.
    I'd put stuff I wouldn't need for a while in the bottom of the bags - that was mostly clothing, the lightest stuff.
    So I re-packed.

Got rid of the green Sea-To-Summit bag altogether.
    Put the heavy stuff in the bottom of the pods and the clothes in the pod under the beaver-tail.
    That noticeably reduced the center of gravity.

And, I weighed everything...
    Left pod: 12 lbs.
    Right pod: 11 lbs.
    Top pod: 9 lbs.
    Tank bag: 8 lbs.
    Backpack: 15 lbs.

55 lbs. total luggage with 47 lbs. of that on the rear and 8 lbs. on the tank.

Pondering further changes...
    Aces 6 likes this.
  16. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Oh it's both, I've done it. You're going to need to hit 75 mph every chance you get and ride 18 hours per day.
  17. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    That's not really possible. For instance, the TAT through Colorado has a 20 mph speed limit unless posted higher.
  18. KenCM

Oddometer:
    DRY RUN RESULTS

Discovered several things:

* After the test run of my auxiliary light a week or so ago, I adjusted the brackets to raise the light. Turns out that slight extension was enough that the clamps on the bars no longer hold sufficiently to keep the light from rotating downwards. PROPOSED SOLUTION: Drill and tap the bracket for a set screw.
    * I haven't used the InReach much since last year's trip. We were riding for 45 minutes this morning before I realized I'd forgotten to turn it on. We stopped and I did so. When I got home I discovered I'd neglected to start the tracking. PROPOSED SOLUTION: Place a checklist in the map case on the tank bag with items for Morning, Stops, and Evening to help ensure everything gets done properly.
    * The backpack is a less than ideal solution. It requires 3 bungies to hold it in place and even then it's... spineless - I guess is the best word I can think of to describe it. SOLUTION: Was at Euro Sports of Tampa Bay today and picked up a Kriega 20L bag to use instead. The Kreiga bag can double as a backpack and it snaps on nicely to the beavertail of the Reckless.
    Kriega.JPG
    FASTRacing, FarmerKeith and DCTFAN like this.
  19. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Last year I carried one of those emergency straw water filtration gizmos - I didn't pack it this year.
    A buddy pointed this $20 filter out.
    Added it inline to my Klim jacket hydration system.
    Weighs next to nothing.
    Positioned it so the filter hangs just in front of the shoulder.
    Getting the tubing onto the filter was... not easy - put some Vaseline on the stubs and that helped.
    DSCN0475.JPG
    Repoman87, Aces 6 and FASTRacing like this.
  20. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Replaced that green pack with a 20L Kriega bag and sorted out the mounting.
    Here's what it looks like (raining outside, so in the garage and pictures a bit cluttered):

From the back
    DSCN0478.JPG

From the front
    DSCN0476.JPG

Side
    DSCN0477.JPG

Lower profile.
    More securely mounted.
    No bungies.

Moved the hydration pack that was in the backpack into the lower rear pocket of the Reckless 80. So that 5 lbs. is not in the Krieger, but lower.

Almost doesn't seem like it belongs on MY bike :lol3
    FASTRacing and steveo555234 like this.