1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days, Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by KenCM, Jun 28, 2017.

1. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed my trailer park cruise control
    DSCN0430.JPG

Had been using this 3-D printed mount for the Garmin Montana but the bolt pattern is rectangular - not square - and so the orientation is wrong for the Garmin 276Cx.
    Initially thought about making an adapter but opted for a simpler solution.
    DSCN0432.JPG

Used some of that rubber I used to tighten up my helmet visor and a piece cut from an old license plate to make a clamp.
    DSCN0424.JPG

Worked like a charm!
    DSCN0427.JPG
    FASTRacing likes this.
  2. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Shot of finished GPS mount clamp.
    DSCN0428.JPG
  3. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. ,4 pages and you have not started yet.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  4. JohnfromJersey

JohnfromJersey Like a New Man

Oddometer:
    500 miles a day for 12 days in a row... off-road... Dakar Rally anyone?

Don't kill anyone... including yourselves.
  5. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my 990! You should know those Multistradas don't go on the dirt!:jack I still can't decide whether to use my Gobis or some Nelson Rigg soft bags or buy some Caribou soft bags??:baldy IMGP2000s.jpg
  6. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:

I've had the "Cement Creek" camp ground recommended, which is where I'll meet my buddy. Man, you'll just be back home and turn around and go back?? Well, I've not been before so really looking forward to it!
  7. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM Rally is "spokes on a wheel" type of riding. Ie, bring your stuff, arrive at the rally and remove it from the bike, then ride around with the bike bare.

Granted I live in Denver so all I'm packing is a light Wolfman bag I'll lash to my rear rack, but when I'm out riding around CB, I won't have anything but my tank bag on the bike...
  8. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Tick tick, only a month till the start.
  9. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    After a month of 80-90# of gear on the back that will be a welcome change!
  10. KenCM

Oddometer:
    I would like to install a couple of these...
    upload_2017-7-2_8-6-33.png
    ... but first need to confirm the available accessory power from the alternator.
    I've been unable to locate that information online, in the user manual, or in the shop manual.
    Can anyone point me to that info?
  11. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kenda big block rear on the AT wore very fast and after a week was around 50%. My Mitas E07 on the other hand had maybe 20% wear. D606(ran them on my DRZ) is a great tire, but longevity would be close to the Kenda...imho.
  12. KenCM

Oddometer:
    We had a discussion on tires last evening and have decided on the following:

We're both going to run a Tractionator on the rear and a TKC-80 on the front - both installed fresh immediately prior to departure.
    And... we are going to forego any tire change on the way out - just switching to street tires for the trip back on tarmac.
  13. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pilotlang can help you out there, he was running some similar lights on his AT.............
  14. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Got the AltRider crash bars and skid plate installed yesterday.
    DSCN0433.JPG
    Moved the Givi crash bars to Garrett's bike.
    A VERY nice feature of the AltRider lower crash bars for those with DCT is that the bars don't need to be removed in order to get access to the clutch filter when changing the oil.
    I really like the coverage of this skid plate - especially in front.
    Of course, AFTER getting the skid plate installed I noticed I hadn't re-installed a plastic cover removed earlier and that required removing skid plate :doh

The AltRider upper bars connect to a plate in front with 4 screws that pass through the bars, which are thick walled at that point and machined with a male/female joint.
    This is a MUCH more substantial attachment than the other crash bars, which had a plastic plug that didn't hold them together so well.
    Just outboard of the plate under where the bars join, but before the bend is a convenient location for clamps for mounting a light.
    DSCN0434.JPG

Also installed a Booster Plug, which necessitated removal of the gas tank to get at the ECU plug .
    Honda has done an exceptional job with this bike of requiring the removal of an extraordinary number of parts in order to get access to those things commonly requiring access!

While the tank was off, we routed the wire from the newly installed auxiliary light switch.
    DSCN0435.JPG
    Also routed the GPS cable along with the switch cable.

Ordered this 90W 15" light with a 60 degree beam to attach to the front of the upper crash bars.
    We will be riding well into the night and despite the excellent headlights on the AT, I want more light.
    upload_2017-7-3_9-14-5.png
    I've had the 54W 9" 30 degree beam version of this light on a KTM 300XCW for quite a while (still need to get the HD stator on that bike).
    I had to wait until the AltRider upper crash bars showed up before deciding on a light and how I would mount it.
    Since we had the AT apart and I didn't want to have to take it back apart when the wiring harness showed up, I took the harness off of the KTM so we could get the AT back together.
    Naturally, after completely reassembling the bike, I realized that while we had nicely routed the switch wires, the wires to actually power the light were still dangling from the relay at the back of the bike! :doh
    I think that harness is getting routed along an external path.
  15. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Access to the battery on the AT, like everything you might want to get access to on the AT, is complicated.
    First, the tool kit holder must be removed.
    That requires an Allen wrench (Honda recommends keeping that Allen wrench under the seat).
    Then a hinged door must be lifted and held up since the hinge is simply a thin piece of plastic and the door is not removable.
    The bolt for the negative terminal requires an Allen wrench for removal while the positive terminal requires an open end hex wrench because the negative terminal's bolt is straight in while the positive terminals bolt is perpendicular and partially hidden.
    Normally, I run most accessories back to the battery terminals, but this bike's battery configuration is not conducive to that solution.
    So instead, what I have decided to do, is route one fused battery tender cable to the battery and then power accessories from that by mating it to another battery tender cable the end of which will be routed to under the seat.
    In the picture below, the battery tender cable can be seen running into the bottom of the battery box - which is visible because the tool kit holder hasn't yet been reinstalled over the top.
    The fuse for the battery tender cable just barely fits inside the battery box and the door just barely closes when the cable is routed behind the cable exiting the box.
    DSCN0436.JPG

The reason for two battery tender cables is to be able to power an air compressor (by separating the two connectors (leaving accessories unpowered) and using the plug leading to the battery).
    Honda's 12V accessory port is fused with an inline 7.5A fuse.
    7.5A is usually enough for an air compressor, but if that fuse blows it takes about 30 minutes to remove everything to gain access to replacing it.
  16. KenCM

Oddometer:
    TARGET DAILY DESTINATIONS

So I looked at my tracks from last year and using time (not distance), parceled the entire track into 14 hour ride time segments.
    That works out to the following target daily mileages and destinations:

550 Nantahala National Forest
    366 Winchester, TN
    508 Holy Springs National Forest
    507 Ozark National Forest
    566 Liberal, KS
    539 Gunnison National Forest
    435 Green River, UT
    576 West Wendover, UT
    542 Boise National Forest
    447 Ochoco Nationla Forest
    488 Siskyou National Forest
    38 Port Orford, OR

The map pins show the projected location of the end of each day along the route.
    upload_2017-7-3_12-35-29.png
  17. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You seem to be heading straight past Three Step without stopping. That can't be right?
  18. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
  19. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm....
    "To install this Kit you only need to remove the left side tank side trim, and pull the battery out half way."

What am I overlooking?
  20. KenCM

Oddometer:
    IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS

Our GPS track consists of about 40,000 points.
    A single track that size is unusable on our GPSs due to the minutes-long redraw time.
    So we split the track up into eighty 500-point segments.

Why 500 points per track?
    Because that's the maximum point count for a track being loaded into the InReach site.
    We want our wives to have easy access to our planned route and that's the way we afford it.
    So we end up with 80 tracks.

When I created those 80 tracks, I simply named them 1, 2, 3, etc...
    And as I crossed the country last year, each morning I would edit my GPS settings to show the upcoming tracks and un-show those passed.

To account for the road closure between Ketchum and Featherville in ID, I am replacing 59, 60, and 61.
    During this process I remembered an annoyance related to track naming.

When the GPS shows the list of tracks, it does so in alphabetical order - not numeric order.
    That necessitates a bunch of scrolling as the list is sorted thusly: 1,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,2,20,21...
    Notice that to select tracks 1 and 2 requires scrolling as the teens are "in the way."

That doesn't seem like a big deal, but all those extra button presses are frustrating when sitting on the bike ready to go.

So I've relabeled the tracks A1, A2, A3... A9, B10, B11, B12...
    This results in the sort order accurately representing the track progression.

As an extra aid, I've added a hyphenated number representing the projected day to which each track belongs.
    So the naming now looks like this:
    A1-1, A2-1, ... , B14-1, B15-2, B16-3
    In the correct order and able to see at a glance to which day the track belongs.

The hyphenated number addresses another annoyance - having to switch back to the map while deciding how many tracks to turn on for that day.

This may seem like a stupid little thing, but I'll do almost anything I can do now in order to streamline what's required while actually riding as I know the inevitable fatigue will greatly magnify these little annoyances.
    Nickhob and FASTRacing like this.