2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days, Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by KenCM, Jun 28, 2017.

1. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    HOW FAR TO FUEL?

We have waypoints marked along our route at locations where we can likely get fuel.
    But as we are approaching a fuel waypoint how do we answer the question of whether to stop or to continue to the next fuel waypoint?
    There's no simple, quick way to answer the question "how far is it between these two points on this track" using the GPS.

So what we've done is mark fuel waypoints with their mileage relative to the start point, as in FUEL 412, FUEL 433 and FUEL 470.
    That allows us to know how far it is from the approaching fuel waypoint to the next fuel waypoint - 21 miles and 37 miles respectively in the example above.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  2. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ken, I assume you marked the waypoints from your start based upon your original continuous track? It's easy enough in Basecamp using a track to obtain the distance from one point to another but only within one individual track. I for one really appreciate your work and your sharing the details you've provided on this trip! Did you get your answers and issues solved on your aux. lights?
  3. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Yes, when I got the tracks from Sam, first thing I did was join them all together in Basecamp to make a single track.
    That single track is convenient for things like importing into Google Maps.
    Then I can search for things in Google Maps and more easily cross-reference them to the track in Basecamp.
    That also served as the basis for splitting into 500 point track segments.
    And as you guessed, it makes it a simple task to measure distances along the track.

I'll follow up on the lights separately.
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurkAmbitious as hell and easy recipe for disappointment I'd say but at least you are going to be out riding.
    Let me know if you need help in NE OK just a few miles off TAT where you will be blowing through on a long slog of a day riding section lines in Western OK.

Good luck and don't push too hard, easy to make mistakes. Ready for this to get started. Going to be a real TAT race that will set some standards.
  5. Otroo

Otroo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subbed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  6. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Every day...

I spend at least a few hours preparing for this ride in one way or another.

Yesterday I spent 12 hours in front of the computer working on GPS-related stuff.
    Discovered that my new Garmin 276Cx works in a fundamentally different way than the Montanas it is intended to replace.
    Specifically, it won't display multiple tracks concurrently :dirtdog
    Instead, it only allows the use of a (single) track as a route.
    This is a minor inconvenience that I will accept in order to get buttons for zooming in and out rather than the touch screen.
    I'm using the 276Cx, Garrett is using one of the Montanas, and we are taking a spare Montana.

I also ensured our tracks are accessible on my cell phone via Earthmate and US Topo Maps.
    I'll pack a Ram Mount X-Grip cell phone and in event of GPS failure will replace one of my mirrors (Doubletake Adventure mirrors on Ram Mount balls) with that mount and use the phone for navigation.

I also used freecampsites.net to find some potential campsites and then create waypoints.
    I found 7 in the East and 31 in the West.
    I'll attach them to this post in case anyone is interested.

And, I discovered the US Wildfire Activity Public Information Map.
    Last year I ended up being confronted by a rather upset firefighter and barely missed a confrontation with an even unhappier pair of sheriff deputies as the result of unknowingly entering into an area that was an active wildfire (fortunately the deputies were engaged in an apparent arrest of someone more interesting to them than me and I just rolled through their roadblock without confrontation).
    I plan on checking this map shortly before departure and making potential bypass tracks for any areas near active wildfires.
    Right now, it looks like the only areas on fire near our track is west of the Great Salt Lake.

Attached Files:

juno likes this.
  7. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Thank you. We'll beep as we go by Muskogee :)

I want to comment on the part about "recipe for disappointment" - not directly to you since your intent was clearly meant only as cautionary and supportive - but as encouragement to folks in general.

I have a wonderful life largely because I don't view failure as necessarily disappointing.
    I failed to ride my bicycle 10,000 miles in one year - only got to 9,400.
    I failed to obtain a PhD, so I only have a Masters.
    I failed to author an even half-dozen books - I'm one short.
    I failed to complete my instrument rating and so can only fly VFR.
    I failed to learn both German AND Japanese - no upside on this one, I just plain failed - ha!
    I failed to ever remain employed more than 18 months and so had to start my own (successful) companies.
    In fact, I fail at almost everything I undertake.
    Last year I failed to complete my ocean-to-ocean TAT in 20 calendar days (my plan) - it took me 22.

I presume my point is obvious: Don't hesitate to aim high even if failure is likely because aiming high and not making it is almost always better than aiming low and succeeding.
  8. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said and the best of luck! Looking fwd to following along!
  9. Dusty_Bottoms

Dusty_Bottoms Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you're familiar with Teddy Roosevelt's famous quote that includes, "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds.

I just swiped this from a comment in the IBR thread.
    Endorphin, Hi-De-Ho and Aces 6 like this.
  10. Dyrden

Dyrden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing the light bar mounted to the upper altrider bars. Still waiting on my silver uppers to show up but had planned on a similar set up.
  11. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your tracks solution.
  12. Just Max

Just Max I put the F in luck

Oddometer:
    *IN : As a fan.

Screw the haters, I think this is awesome.

Might be fun to hold a Guinness record for a while. I know they are a joke, but Bucket list style.. Fastest off road coast to coast motorcycle ride or some shit.
    efmb15cmb, Proud Highway and Aces 6 like this.
  13. Brendan K

Brendan K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ken,

Not that you want buy another helmet, but the Arai XD4 I just got has a really, really good liner design to accommodate glasses. I can even use my 100% strata googles on the Scott Speed strap over my sunglasses. And my face shield will stay up or go down over everything.

I am psyched for you guys. You are going to have an adventure!
  14. Just Max

Just Max I put the F in luck

Oddometer:
    Can confirm. Did an Iron butt with sunglasses under an Arai lid. The only problem is not everyone has an Arai head.
  15. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    In!! This looks like a hoot!

Also, Instead of doing that A1-B5 you-sank-my-battleship stuff .. you couldve just renamed your first 9 segments... 01, 02, 03, etc. :)
  16. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    :doh
    All that and still hacked off the handles of the OEM rack and didn't think about the repercussions? :doh Guess the sixth book was going to be on structural engineering!
    Something this epic needs a name.
  17. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Ha - yet another failure!
    We'll see what the result is.
    EDIT: update: just received confirmation from ATO Engineering that my new rear rack is shipping within a couple days.
    Proud Highway, Aces 6 and FASTRacing like this.
  18. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Excellent suggestion!
    I have relabeled tracks as 01-1, 01-1, 03-1, ..., 09-2, 10-2, ...
    Where the first number is the order and the second is the day.
    snarf likes this.
  19. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Looks nice - will make a point of trying one on sometime.
    Fortunately for my wallet, I have a spouse that (tries to) keeps unnecessary purchases to a minimum.
  20. KenCM

Oddometer:
    DSquared likes this.