1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days, Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by KenCM, Jun 28, 2017.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw this and read the first and last pages and so probably missed some good stuff. I do a lot of TAT like rides out west. I think you are going to have to ride 16 hours a day to do this. Good luck. The AT looks like a comfortable bike.
  2. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Testing TapTalk, which I just installed on my phone with the intent of being able to post our progress when we start this ride.
    [​IMG]
    These showed up yesterday. Lost a similar pair last year a couple days prior to the end of the ride when the bungee holding them on was burned through.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  3. Dyrden

Dyrden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You get that light bar mounted yet? I'm doing that or a pair of squadron pros but I don't like the idea of lights sticking out on the crashbar. Seems like they'll just get hammered into the body work on a tip over or get ripped off by a branch.
  4. KenCM

Oddometer:
    It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.
    The AltRider headlight guard and fender raising kit showed up today.
    I'll put all that stuff on over the weekend and post a picture.

Since the light is 15" wide and the crash bars stick out 12" from the centerline of the bike, there should be more than 3" between the light and the ground if the bike goes over (assuming level ground).
    Also, I have a 9" version of this mounted on a KTM 350 XCW that DOES get hammered by brush and I haven't experienced any problems.
    DSCN0440.JPG

I don't believe there is anywhere on the TAT where brush is an issue.
  5. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Ok. Maybe not a brush.

Not me. Recent TAT.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  6. KenCM

Oddometer:
    In reviewing our planned route, I discovered this 40 mile squared-off loop near John Day, OR - presumably for fuel and possibly accommodations.
    John Day is about 150 miles from the last fuel stop in Huntington and 161 miles from the next fuel stop in Pineville.

I noticed an alternative route (gray) that appears to have fuel at the Bear Valley Store in Seneca at the intersection of 395.

I figure that if an alternative route does not reduce the ratio of dirt to tarmac then it's fair game.
    Both of these routes are 60% dirt and 40% tarmac - the gray alternative route being 21 miles in total length and the green route between the same two points being 61 miles.

I'll call the store to ensure they are operating, have fuel, and to inquire as to their hours.
    If we are approaching during operating hours, we'll take the alternative route.
    If not, we'll go to John Day.
    JohnDayBypass.JPG
    EDIT: attached bypass GPX
    EDIT 2: Called and spoke with the owner of Bear Valley Store. She says they are open 7 days a week from 7 AM until either 8 PM or 9 PM depending upon whether she or another woman is working. However, she lives across the street and her phone number is on the door.

Attached Files:

DCTFAN, juno and FASTRacing like this.
  7. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Any plans of making your tracks available.....upon successful proofing and completion of course :D
  8. KenCM

Oddometer:
    This is Sam Correro's route and since he charges for it, I won't be posting those portions that he sells - they can be purchased here: Store
    But I am posting our modifications plus potential fuel and camping waypoints.
    I have already posted our extension from his start to Jekyll Island as well as our re-route between Ketchum and Featherville on Page 3.

So to assemble our route one could obtain Sam's tracks and merge the GPXs I posted here.
    AT Blizzard, Drumbrakes and Aces 6 like this.
  9. KenCM

Oddometer:
    There are three sources of TAT tracks of which I am aware.
    Sam's, referenced above; GPS Kevin's; and TATtracks.
    The last two appear to me to be essentially the same and are represented by the blue line below (ignoring the LA route).
    Sam's is the red line.
    My understanding is that within the past two years, Sam changed his route out West - it used to be about the same as the current route from GPSKevin.

When I did this ride this last year, I had both Sam's and Kevin's tracks loaded in my GPS.
    I road Sam's tracks except for a few spots where I tried Kevin's.
    In each of the several cases where I deviated from Sam's tracks, Kevin's tracks either took me on private land or to locations where there simply were NOT paths.
    I had neither of those problems with Sam's tracks, and so based our ride this year on Sam's tracks.

I did, however, encounter bridges out in several cases as well as a landslide in one case on Sam's tracks - so his are not quite kept up-to-date.

At any rate, I thought folks might like to see, on a macro scale, how similar the two are in the East and how they deviate in the West.

upload_2017-7-7_10-30-50.png
  10. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated! Never was a fan of driving across NV!
  11. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did Sam's route last year. I bought Sam's roll charts and the Tennessee GPS tracks in 2015, and. The roll charts are much harder to update as they are basically hand typed. I also compared these with GPS Kev's and I found there were small differences between Sam's Tennessee gps track and the roll charts, and further differences again with Kev's tracks which were less accurate and much further from real roads. I used a few different map sources which often had difference between where the roads were, they shape where they joined, and sometimes just weren't there at all. No one map was consistently better than the other. When compared to satalite photography.
    GPS Kev's tracks appeared to be based on map data, whereas Sam's were mostly closer to sattelite images, but as they sometimes followed a different route to the charts, I chose to build my own tracks from the roll chart data for the whole route.
    At that time, both Sam's and Kev's through Nevada. Sam's ran just south of the Nevada Oregon border, through Denio Junction.
    Kev's route ventured into Oregon sooner, going through Fields Station 25 miles to the North.Denio has no fuel any more. Fields does.
    Sam was aware many of the furl stations and motels had closed down and already re-routed to avoid Nevada, and it's endless loose sand and his route now goes through Idaho as shown on your map above. He sent us the new roll charts and I plotted that route too.
    In the end , we chose to do Sam's old roll chart Nevada route, and found ourselves on tracks that were invisible under 4 feet of tumbleweed. We got to river crossings with no other tyre tracks to be seen in the mud. I think some sections hadn't been used by any other vehicle that year.
    If you really want to do Nevada, use Kev's tracks, otherwise follow Sam's trail through Idaho
    Dyrden and Aces 6 like this.
  12. KenCM

Oddometer:
    Got the auxiliary light mounted this morning.
    DSCN0442.JPG
    Set the height by turning on the bike's headlight, aiming it at a wall, and then rotating the auxiliary light as high as I could without interfering with the headlight.

As best as I can determine, if the front forks are fully collapsed, the light will be forced up about a half inch.

I'll fine tune the positioning this evening after it gets dark.
    DSCN0443.JPG
    Dyrden and FASTRacing like this.
  13. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They do, do not mount them anywhere outside of the engine/body bars. A tip over will smash them right into the very expensive plastics ....specifically on this AT:
    [​IMG]

Ken, I bottomed out my suspension a few times on the TAT and it was all re-worked by DMr earlier this year. I'd hate to see your lights or fender get damaged because of that..........
  14. Dyrden

Dyrden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn! That's way more light than I was expecting! I was planing a single row of 5 or 10 led. I was worried about headlight interference as well as fender contact. So you think you'll have hard contact when you bottom out? Not sure I could live with that. Maybe compromise the headlight some to insure you don't have the fender hit light and break light or fender and cause some front end disaster.
  15. Dyrden

Dyrden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_5504.JPG This is what I'm hoping to fit up front.

10" by 1.6" tall.
  16. KenCM

Oddometer:
    I've rotated the light up a bit more so that it won't contact the wheel if the suspension is fully collapsed.
    It impinges just slightly on the light cast by the headlight, but very minimally.
    I'll try to get pictures tonight of the light patterns.
    FASTRacing likes this.
  17. FASTRacing

FASTRacing Pant Antler

Oddometer:
    WOW !
    Let there be LIGHT !!

Wont need a Jetboil for cooking, you could fry BACON on that thing.... :lol3
  18. KenCM

Oddometer:
    One of the reasons I selected the light I did is that the mounts slide along the light to match any mounting points on the bike.
    The mounts on the light in your picture are fixed.

The 9" version of this light that I mounted on my KTM 300 XCW was procured as a joke to aggravate a riding buddy of mine who had just bought a pair of lights for his KTM 530 for $500.

I found a cheap source of LED lights (SuperBrightLEDs.com) and bought the cheapest light that was brighter than his two combined.
    I mounted and wired that light and we went night riding.

And I waited... for the inevitable question... "How much did you pay for that light?"
    I replied "45 bucks. It looks just a little lighter than yours, doesn't it? How much did you pay for yours again?"

It's the little things in life :lol3

Anyway, I've beat the bejesus out that 9" light and it's held up fine so that's why I got the same model for the AT. This one was about $100.
  19. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a GREAT attitude!:jack I failed to complete the TAT the last two years but this year, at age 70, it's a better year anyway!
  20. KenCM

Oddometer:
    So much reading to do and so little time, I fit it in when I can :rofl
    DSCN0450.JPG
    JohnfromJersey and blalor like this.