2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days, Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by KenCM, Jun 28, 2017.

1. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garrett's AT was down recently for quite a while as a result of a leaking radiator.

The AT's radiator actually consists of right and left pieces plumbed together with hoses.

A closer look allowed us to come up with the kit below that facilitates "short-circuiting" a leaking radiator section out of the cooling loop.
    DSCN0468.JPG
    Dyrden likes this.
  2. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    What was the cause of the leak and are you planning to put on radiator guards?
  3. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All images ISO 800, f/3.5, 1/4 Sec.

DSC00833.JPG
    Low beam

DSC00834.JPG
    High beam

DSC00835.JPG
    Auxiliary light
  4. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few days after an off-road ride, when he started his bike, he found radiator fluid leaking onto the exhaust.
    He waited more than 2 months for a new radiator as they were on national back-order.
    During that time, he took the leaking radiator to a radiator repair shop (they repaired it).
    Interestingly, the shop indicated that they did not believe the leak was a result of the damage to the radiator as it was leaking from a location that was unaffected and because the leak didn't start for days after the damage.
    At any rate, the new radiator showed up a day or two before he got the repaired one back - so he's go the repaired as a spare.
    upload_2017-7-10_7-34-24.png
    At the time, he was running the stock plastic radiator guards and had opted to go without crash bars - in part, to save the weight.
    He has also stripped a lot of stuff from the bike to reduce weight and rides the clutch model for its lower weight.
    Because... this is his only bike, and he likes to show up as many folks on 250s, 300s, and 450s in the woods that he can. :rayof
    For this trip he's installed crash bars but stuck with the stock plastic radiator guards.

Attached Files:

Aces 6 and FASTRacing like this.
  5. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    KenCM,

All I can say is wow and good luck. You've already heard from the TAT group that I was part of.

We rode 1266 miles of TAT in 6 days before we turned around.

There are posts from other TAT riders who wrote about the "Gratuitous TAT" meaning that Sam or Kevin basically track you through many areas that would have you thinking WTF. We rode through subdivisions, neighborhoods and sometimes just slabbed on a highway or into town still following TAT tracks. This has been previously referred as the "Gratuitous TAT.

BTW, we used Sams tracks exclusively but not much difference in the two for the eastern portion. I had both tracks laid out on my basecamp and just as you posted, it was only sligjtly different in certain areas.

I would just say that if you follow the TAT tracks and all of it without bypassing, it will be a long day for you guys to stay on schedule.

What I can tell you is that our group ran hard all day and probably quit with an hour or slightly longer to secure a campsite and to setup before it got dark. Staying at a motel is more convenient and hell a lot more comfortable but you still have to allot time to pull off the trail and find a motel.

Yes, we stopped periodically to take a break and shoot the bull but our objective was not to set a record or anything, we all wanted to enjoy our TAT experience.

Anyway, look forward to hearing about your upcoming ride. Good Luck!

I retrieved actual tracks from the Zumo after my TAT ride and talk about zig zag, you can see that we never went straight anytime although ever so slowly heading westward.

[​IMG]

Jon

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Aces 6 likes this.
  7. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Denio junction has fuel now, They just reopened with a new tank installed.
  8. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to post your observations and for the well-wishes.

Yep.
    That was a big surprise to me when I rode this route last year.
    I think a lot of folks are surprised to discover the very high ratio of asphalt to dirt East of the Mississippi.
    This is why I tell folks with limited time that if they are interested in the "journey" they should consider doing the Western portion.

Here's my plan versus actual for last year for that same portion.
    Yellow was plan and blue actual.
    The blue follows the yellow more closely the more it gets zoomed in.
    In other words, the actual was almost always to plan.
    2.5 days with 26 hours of elapsed riding time (counting stops other than overnight) from right-to-left for the portion on the map.
    upload_2017-7-11_11-22-6.png
  9. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've gathered from a few sources that most of the eastern trail started out unsurfaced, but nobody from the county roads department calls Sam (or Kev) each time they pour tarmac onto an old road.
    Even when they do find out, it's a big task to try and re-route for these sections, and basically requires a visit to the area to explore the options and no guarantees the next road along won't get the same treatment later the same year.
    There were a few points in Tennessee, Missipppii and Arkansas where we felt there was a loop in the trail to try and avoid a short section of sealed road, but the loop had since been sealed too, so you rode 5 miles of tarmac to avoid 1 mile of tarmac, but it was all fun, and we were taking it easy.

I tried to make a rough guess on the sealed / dirt ratio for each day in my RR, but it was very much a guess.

I'd love to do the route again with some kind of switch on my handlebar linked to the GPS so I can record which sections were sealed, graded dirt, and proper trail, on a route log.
  10. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I considered doing that very thing!
    But two things resulted in my not pursuing it:
    1) The percentage unpaved is clearly less than 50%, and
    2) Finding an alternative route is usually futile

I next researched GIS information for states' departments of transportation in an attempt to locate all unpaved public roads, but there were numerous complications that in the end resulted in abandoning that effort.

Having spent many dozens of hours trying to put these types of routes together I finally concluded that I'd rather spend that time trailering the bike to an area where finding such roads isn't so difficult.

I agree with your observation that these roads are often enjoyable to ride even though they've been paved as they still tend to be narrow, winding, and rural.
  11. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garrett and I did a few hours of night riding in the Croom tract of the Withlacoochee Forest last night to test out the lights.
    Short version - they bring daylight to the night.
    So much so that after I went over a knoll in the trail and disappeared from Garrett's sight, the back-scatter from my auxiliary light appeared to Garrett to be headlights from an oncoming vehicle.

Installed the AltRider fender raising kit shortly before departure.
    Of course, I neglected to adjust the height of the headlight to accommodate the raised fender and when my front forks bottomed out there was a horrendous noise as the tire tread worked to tear off the front fender.
    It was loud enough that Garret rode up to me and asked "What was that noise?"

When I got back, I raised the light 1" to account for the 3/4" raise on the fender.
    No meaningful impact on the normal headlight pattern resulted.

So it appears we're good on the lights.

Also apparently good on something else...
    A few months ago I did a cartwheel over a berm at the motocross track, resulting in the Type 5 AC separation shown in the x-ray below.
    Went to the orthopedist of a national sports team who, to my surprise, recommended doing nothing!
    He indicated that a "big wad of gristle" (I guess that's technical medical jargon) will form and it'll be as good as new.
    He claimed that surgery would lengthen healing and the only potential benefit would be cosmetic.

I believed I would actually benefit from this since a few years ago something similar happened to the other shoulder when I knocked myself out by dropping a tree on myself through my expert use of a chainsaw.
    Since then, my wife hasn't let me go without a shirt because she finds the obvious asymmetry gruesome.
    I figured that when the swelling went down that my shoulders would match and I would once again be able to go shirtless - win/win!

No such luck :becca
    When the swelling went down it became apparent that the other shoulder stuck out to the back and this one stuck out to the front.
    Now I'm so buggered up that even I can't stand to look at myself!

Anyway, the good news is that while this shoulder is still periodically painful - as in waking up in the middle of the night screaming if I sleep on it the wrong way - hours of riding off-pavement doesn't make it any worse!

Going to pack some extra naproxen sodium just in case.

Shoulder.jpg
    rbsride365, Aces 6 and FASTRacing like this.
  12. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    Ken, I just had a "cortisone" shot in my R shoulder yesterday. Had surgery in '09 on the R and '10 on the L. R has been hurting frequently with some riding, sleeping on R side especially, went to doc 6 weeks ago, more R Cuff tears, arthritis, told me to come bk week before trip & get a shot! Maybe, if you have time that would help.:-)
  13. Thunder-dog

Oddometer:
    "Went to the orthopedist of a national sports team"
    When I got run over by a fellow dirt biker in '78, messed my L knee up, I called the Atlanta Falcons to find out who was their Doc! That Dec, wound up getting it Fixed by the team Doc.:clap
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    agree too many things can go wrong, and some will. But suppose they know it and can take shortcuts or bypass whole sections to stay on track.
  15. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're going to stick to the tracks to the greatest extent reasonably possible.
    For example, if we go into a town we'll come back out the point we departed from the tracks and continue from there.
    It'll take however long it takes, but we'll do the full planned route with the exception of forced re-routing for floods, fires, and other acts of the gods.
    gluaisrothar likes this.
  16. Kilmern

Kilmern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll attest to that. And I'm going to say after riding with Ken and Garrett I think the only thing that'll slow them down is flashing blue and red lights.
    Brendan K likes this.
  17. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that vote of confidence!
    Coming from a guy whose speed is limited only by the grip afforded by his tires, which he is constantly testing, that means something.
  18. Kilmern

Kilmern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Says the dude who ran the trans florida two weeks after breaking his collarbone.......I'd never bet against you man
    cyclopathic likes this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just be safe. I dislike trips like this b/c after a few days/week the fatigue sets in and then unexplainable crashes will happen. Luckily at parking lot speeds. We usually plan a few hard days with the easy ones to allow recovery, maintenance, etc. 12 days in a row with 14hr/day could be asking it good luck
  20. KenCM

KenCM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    We recognize that in order to finish the route we must survive each day reasonably intact :)

Garrett told me yesterday that he has started sleeping on a couple of pallets in order to acclimate to sleeping on the ground.
    Call me a wussy, but I'm carrying the extra 2.78 pounds of Helinox cot.
    When he's not looking I'm going to slip the chain breaker and spare links into the bottom of his gear to make up for the difference :lol3
    dmason, gluaisrothar, Aces 6 and 2 others like this.